hey UG.
if i got one of those 5 Watt tube amps that are so popular right now, would it be loud enough to play live if im only using it for dirty tones. (when i say dirty tones, i mean i will be runing it as loud as i can get away with).
i would still use one of my fenders for my cleans. and use an A/B/Y pedal to switch between amps. thanks alot.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
It would probably have to be micd, because I don't think it would get over a drummer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
It would probably have to be micd, because I don't think it would get over a drummer.

thats what i was afraid of. im usually mic'd, but occasionally there are times when im not.
even with the amp all the way up it wont be loud enough?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Depends on how loud your drummer is. The usual consensus is that a fairly cranked 15w tube amp is required to clear a drummer, so I don't think that a fully cranked 5 watter would do it.
Quote by guerito
unless you've got a really quiet drummer (which doesn't exist =P)

haha, true.
what about 15 watts?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
^Definitely enough, and would probably be the best choice if you want something to use only for OD.

Edit: I cranked a Blues JR today at GC and it sounded damn nice. Great natural distortion if that's what you're going for. Not totally cranked, but I dimed the volume and turned the master to like 4 or 5.
alright, well thanks alot. ill have to go find some place that stocks them. its a little more than i was wanting to spend though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Have you tried using that tubescreamer on the clean side of your hot rod? I found a could get a very good tone that way when I had mine
Quote by Kevin Saale
Have you tried using that tubescreamer on the clean side of your hot rod? I found a could get a very good tone that way when I had mine

yeah of course, i use that all the time.
in fact, if i keep the drive pretty low on the 2nd chanel of it, with the Tubescreamer on it actually makes that channel sound really really nice. and it allows me to use it more as a "solo" channel because soundguys are always too busy being pedofiles to turn me up during my solos haha. i was just wanting to look at balckhearts for more of a marshall type of OD.

edit/ BTW, if you dont mind me asking, did you sell your HRD and for how much? i was wondering how much it goes for in case i upgrade soon.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
how many of you have actually jammed w/ a 5 tube watt amp? i do it every sunday after service and it holds up w/ a drummer. if you're playing heavy metal then you'd wanna get the 15 watt and have a little bit of clearance and such, but the 5 watt will be heard for rock and hard rock as long as ur drummer isn't constantly doing double kicks and whatnot. it'll even handle a second guitarist and bass player.

but you have to have everyone working together on their volumes, making sure you all understand what limit you have.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
how many of you have actually jammed w/ a 5 tube watt amp? i do it every sunday after service and it holds up w/ a drummer. if you're playing heavy metal then you'd wanna get the 15 watt and have a little bit of clearance and such, but the 5 watt will be heard for rock and hard rock as long as ur drummer isn't constantly doing double kicks and whatnot. it'll even handle a second guitarist and bass player.

but you have to have everyone working together on their volumes, making sure you all understand what limit you have.

damn it, why'd you have to go and say that, now im not sure what to do.
haha, thanks for the help though, seriously
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
well what is it u'll be using it for? gigs? like in small clubs/bars or medium sized or large? if you can be mic'd up then the 5 watter will do perfectly fine NO WORRIES lol. if not mic'd up, get the handsome devil so that way you have more reassurance in case it's a really really REALLY loud night and you've got a monster drummer.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
well what is it u'll be using it for? gigs? like in small clubs/bars or medium sized or large? if you can be mic'd up then the 5 watter will do perfectly fine NO WORRIES lol. if not mic'd up, get the handsome devil so that way you have more reassurance in case it's a really really REALLY loud night and you've got a monster drummer.

well im mic'd up about half of the time. im worried that the 5 watt wont be loud for beig unmicd. and the 15 watt will be to loud to really crank it up in the small places.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I use a tube screamer with my Twin Reverb and it sounds brilliant in my oppinion, really nice cleans when you aren't running any pedals and nice overdrive with the tube screamer
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
well that's a hard call. if nothing else, get the handsome devil and use a tubescreamer or fulltone OCD in front of it for when you can't crank it. if you know that you'll mostly be playing small clubs and such, get the blackheart little giant. using it w/ a 2X12 or even 4X12 will give you a lil increased volume too so think bout that too aiight. oh yea, and the blackheart little giant can run two cabs simultaneously so that's even cooler LOL.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
well that's a hard call. if nothing else, get the handsome devil and use a tubescreamer or fulltone OCD in front of it for when you can't crank it. if you know that you'll mostly be playing small clubs and such, get the blackheart little giant. using it w/ a 2X12 or even 4X12 will give you a lil increased volume too so think bout that too aiight. oh yea, and the blackheart little giant can run two cabs simultaneously so that's even cooler LOL.

and i just remembered that the handsome devil is switchable 15/7 watt. so i guess when the 15 is too loud, i can go to 7 and vice versa. i guess im gonna have to track one down and try it out.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I sold my HRD for 400 which is pretty much the going price on ebay.
I got over a drummer using a Marshall MG 15W.
Tone = Was usable/okay.
Loudness = Got over good enough.
So a 5W Tube Amp should be able too...
I havn't ever dimed the volume on one of the 5 watt jobbies, but I've played a Blackheart 5 watter at about 3/4 volume...was quite loud...if your drummer isn't a really hard hitter and you raise it, I really think that you MIGHT be able to be heard, but obviously a higher wattage or being mic'd up would be far more suitable.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
To Yngwi3
the 5 watt i played from 3/4 to full wasn't any louder just more gain so he probably wouldn't be able to get over a drummer.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
its ok, i think im just gonna spend the money on getting some recording stuff. i need to get some of my stuff recorded before i forget it all.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
One route you could take is a get a 5 watter and see if it can hold its own. If it's not enough then just return it.
Quote by Kevin Saale
One route you could take is a get a 5 watter and see if it can hold its own. If it's not enough then just return it.

yeah but the only way i can really get one is to order it on the internet. that just seems like a hassle with shipping and all that.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.