I need something to do over the summer and I really want to go from an "intermediate" to "advanced" level in my playing. Last summer I learned a lot of metalcore and I felt it really took me to the intermediate level, but this summer I'm looking to go beyond that.

So I was wondering what songs you guys would recommend. I prefer melodic and progressive death metal but I'm open to anything that will improve my playing.

My leet rig
Schecter Hellraiser
Agile AL-3100
Ibanez RG120
Alvarez RF8
Yamaha G-55 Classical
Peavey Valveking
Vox AD15VT
Pod XT Live
Ibanez Weeping Demon
DevilDriver is awesome, but I wouldn't exactly call it advanced.
Hourglass- Lamb of God
Anything by Opeth (Ghost of Perdition, Bleak, When)
and if you're up to it, anything by Nile
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
Quote by webbtje
Tuning?

+1 and define what you mean by "intermediate", we need to know what sort of thing you can already play before we can recommend something that might push your technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for the replies.

Tuning doesn't matter a whole lot as I can easily tune to whatever tuning I want in a minute or two (chromatic tuner ftw) but try to stay in C standard or above so I don't have to go to a heavier gauge string.

The hardest thing I can play right now is Crystal Mountain by Death, solo and all.

My leet rig
Schecter Hellraiser
Agile AL-3100
Ibanez RG120
Alvarez RF8
Yamaha G-55 Classical
Peavey Valveking
Vox AD15VT
Pod XT Live
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Just about anything by Necrophagist? Stabwound would be a good choice, I think it's one of their easier songs.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
anything by the black dahlia murder, i learn alot of it, i would start with like Elder Misanthropy then prob Closed Casket Requiem, and if your up for it learn What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse, i have trouble with that song sometimes, they are all drop c or standard C
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
symphony x?
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Dream Theater maybe? check out the songs from Train of Thought.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
dream theater - the glass prison
that crazy alternate-picking arpeggios, i'm still learning it.

yup necrophagist suits your style so...

and that boring paul gilbert?

but in the end i'd still recommend john petrucci's rock discipline. it's my bible.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by necrophilic

That would demand a 7-string though
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
That would demand a 7-string though

no need if he's doing the arps only.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Just about anything by Necrophagist? Stabwound would be a good choice, I think it's one of their easier songs.
lol if your up for the task. its advanced as **** but fermentel offal discharge by necro is a goosd one. i got it on guitar pro and i can only dream of playing this song lol
Quote by necrophilic

yup necrophagist suits your style so...

and that boring paul gilbert?

but in the end i'd still recommend john petrucci's rock discipline. it's my bible.

What?
Quote by XianXiuHong
What?

I'm guessing he was being ironic.
You shall listen to Kamelot.