I know you can play VH songs with most guitars, but I want a good guitar for playing stuff like Eruption, and a good shredding guitar.

I was going to buy a Fender strat but have changed my mind.

Thanks for any help.
a schecter c-1 FR
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
One that you like playing and has a PAF-style bridge humbucker.

/thread
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
My Kramer is perfect for EVH... but you can't have it...

Anyways, care to inform us of your budget and current gear?
jackson dinky/soloist.

get some red, black, and white paint and then some masking tape and your ready to jam.

yea i know that was alot of "and"s
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
A Kramer Baretta with a Seymour Duncan '78 (aka E.V.H. - Evenly Voiced Harmonics, lol) humbucker pickup. They all came with OFR's. After that it's all amp and your fingers.
Kramer: 85 Baretta, 84 Pacer Imperial, 85 Pacer Imperial
Gibson 68 LP Custom Shop
Fender 69 Strat
Mesa Roadster 2x12
THD Hotplate
Digitech WH-1
Ibanez TS808
Dunlop 535QC
MXR: Distortion III, EVH Phase 90, EVH Flanger, 10 Band EQ, DC Brick
Last edited by monty_williams at Jun 13, 2008,
something with a light body a humbucker and floating trem.

if you're a beginner dont style your gear to a certain player's.

I hated Neil Young's guitar work till i started playing

just play to YOUR ear, and be happy bro.

good luck
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
lets see you can:
Build a frankenstrat or
buy a used wolfgang or
buy a music man axis or
good luck finding a Kramer like he used.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
closest thing to a kramer nowdays like another guy said is a jackson dinky or soloist. alder body, PAF style humbucker and a floyd and youre well on your way.

that would give you the right kinda sound and you still wouldnt be all-out copying van halen
get a fat strat with floyd rose. dunno if that model is still in production, but thats the closest you can get before modding
^ Personally I don't think that Kramers are worth bothering with unless you get one of the originals from the 80's which actually aren't that hard to get. The current Music Yo ones are pretty "meh"...

EDIT: Was looking up Kramers and I just found out Satriani mostly used a Kramer Pacer to record Surfing with the Alien ( ) interesting...
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 14, 2008,
I was spending around £600 to £700.

I am not looking to get EVH sound dead on, just a good guitar for that kind of music.

Thanks for the help.
I have been looking at the Dean From Hell, Lightning Bolt guitar. Do any of you own one, or have played one?

Also how heavy is it. As heavy as a Gibson Les Paul?
Quote by Egaot
I have been looking at the Dean From Hell, Lightning Bolt guitar. Do any of you own one, or have played one?

Also how heavy is it. As heavy as a Gibson Les Paul?

God no...steer well clear.

Given what you want to play and also your budget, this is perfect

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/sl-3/1258

As far as the SOUND goes though your amp is far more importnat, if it's not very good then you might want to re-assess your gear-buying priorities.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
whats your amp man? for 700 pounds you can get a MIM fat strat and a decent 15W maybe 30W tube
EDIT: listen to Steven when possible
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by steven seagull

As far as the SOUND goes though your amp is far more importnat, if it's not very good then you might want to re-assess your gear-buying priorities.

ditto on the jackson.........sweet guitar!
For VH tones I'd avoid those guitars, especially the dean. (at Gibson+Dean).
However the Jackson Steven (Marc, seagull whatever, it's too confusing!) posted is look like a good choice.
Quote by steven seagull

agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the help.

After checking the guitar seagull posted that's the model I'm going to buy.

Also I play through a live six spider 3 amp, and I also play with headphones on due to playing mostly late at night
Quote by Egaot
Thanks for the help.

After checking the guitar seagull posted that's the model I'm going to buy.

Also I play through a live six spider 3 amp, and I also play with headphones on due to playing mostly late at night

Hate to say it, but the guitar's not going to SOUND any different. It'll feel nicer and look nicer, but your tone isn't going to improve on bit. You'd be better off splitting your budget 50/50 and getting an amp and guitar.

At the end of the day it's your money, but £600 is a hell of a lot to pay for a guitar if you're not going to hear it to its full potential.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Hate to say it, but the guitar's not going to SOUND any different. It'll feel nicer and look nicer, but your tone isn't going to improve on bit. You'd be better off splitting your budget 50/50 and getting an amp and guitar.

At the end of the day it's your money, but £600 is a hell of a lot to pay for a guitar if you're not going to hear it to its full potential.

As usual the Seagull is right, you really should get a better amp if you want to sound anything like EVH, a decent british-voice tube amp will get you much closer than any guitar would.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
How about a used Kramer? Try out the new ones too if you want, but they probably won't be as good. Jackson would be good too.
Something that I've been wanting to know, is if I do buy a better amp, say that I bought a marshall for over a thousand pounds (not that I am, it's just an example) would I hear the improvements see as I play with headphones on?
Guys, if I understand him correctly, he's a bedroom player. He doesn't need a tube amp. TS, if you like the way your Spider sounds, get the Jackson. It's not a bad practice amp. But if you have any plans on joining a band or playing gigs anytime soon, you will definitely want to look into a new amp. And if you are mainly looking to improve your sound and are fine with your current guitar's feel, you will also want to get a new amp first. For bedroom practice I would get a Roland Cube 60 or Vox AD30VT-XL.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
With my current amp there's too much noise going on on the more distorted settings, if I was to buy a better amp would it still sound that way because I play through headphones? Or is it the amp?
Quote by Egaot
With my current amp there's too much noise going on on the more distorted settings, if I was to buy a better amp would it still sound that way because I play through headphones? Or is it the amp?

That sounds like it could be either. Are the headphones good quality?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
I think they are around £30 so not the best by far.

I started off with a strat copy, and now my main guitar is a Gibson Les Paul studio and it doesn't sound bad, but I know it should be a much better sound.

I don't know if it's the amp, the cheapness of the headphones, or both.
Quote by Egaot
I think they are around £30 so not the best by far.

I started off with a strat copy, and now my main guitar is a Gibson Les Paul studio and it doesn't sound bad, but I know it should be a much better sound.

I don't know if it's the amp, the cheapness of the headphones, or both.

It's a combination of the amp AND the fact that you're playing with headphones. Like I said, a new guitar isn't going to make things sound any better, you already have a great sounding guitar. It's just that you're never going to hear it anywhere near close to it's full potential until you plug it into a decent amp and hear it through some decent speakers.

The Orange Tiny Terror might be a viable choice for you, although I'll warn you now that despite the fact it's 15 watts, switchable down to 7 it's still going to be pretty damn loud!

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/tiny-terror/70787
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ppc112-1x12/67504

If you can really only ever play at bedroom volumes then perhaps look at getting something like a Line 6 guitarport and go straight to your PC. It has more processing in there to better compensate for things like lack of a real speaker. It's not perfect obviously, but it'll probably be a better option than the Spider for headphone playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 15, 2008,
with that money, you could easily find a Peavey wolfgang special on ebay (the same as mine)

i got mine for £300
Top lel.