Poll: Which bass
Poll Options
View poll results: Which bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic
15 34%
Schecter Stiletto Custom 5
29 66%
Voters: 44.
I've been thinking about getting a 5 string for a while because a lot of the songs i've been wanting to learn (mainly by Dream Theater) are on a 5 string. I've narrowed my choice down to two but i'm completely torn between them, anyway, they're the Spector Legend 5 Classic and the Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 anyway, i'm going to leave it up to you guys to decide because i really can't choose between them
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
The Schecter all the way, there bloody lovely things!

Look great, play great and well.. I want one

But those Spectors have pretty good reputations so i'm not entirely sure.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I thought the dream theater bass player uses a 6 stringed bass? anyways, i was out getting a sammick ( yes sammick ) 5 string, It played pretty fine and sammick's basses don't suck that much.
Quote by Fi-Fi
I thought the dream theater bass player uses a 6 stringed bass? anyways, i was out getting a sammick ( yes sammick ) 5 string, It played pretty fine and sammick's basses don't suck that much.

The guy was asking which of the two he said you would choose.

Nevermind, sorry for jumping the gun on you.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
you sure to like the ter/tor suffix at the end of your bass brands huh?

ive played a schecter once. it was the best bass ive ever played
dont like the look of the spector, but based entirely on the fact that ive never heard of them ill assume theyre a rare and awesome boutique brand.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by Fi-Fi

yea John Myung uses a 6 string but i've looked at tabs and all the one's i've looked at are easily (well not that easily being dream theater) playable on a 5 string
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by jeowy
you sure to like the ter/tor suffix at the end of your bass brands huh?

ive played a schecter once. it was the best bass ive ever played
dont like the look of the spector, but based entirely on the fact that ive never heard of them ill assume theyre a rare and awesome boutique brand.

my current bass is a Fender and my old bass was a Sqier so not really

EDIT: i like the way both of them look and the specs are very similar, i was hoping for someone who's had experience playing both to give their opinion. They also got very similar ratings on musicians friend
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Last edited by bass dude nick at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by smb
Well I've played both but I didn't really want to own either.

Think i'm gonna have to trek down to my local-ish music store and see for myself only thing is i always end up buying something when i go there, and you have to cross the ring road to get to it
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Scheter's are absoloutely amazing basses. They sound great, and they can double as a friend w/benefits.
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Scheter's are absoloutely amazing basses. They sound great, and they can double as a friend w/benefits.

sorry, i just don't see how the input jack could possibly be big enough
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
I love the Schecter Stilleto, one of my favorite basses to play at the local shops.
Not sure about the legend, but Spectors are pretty much as good as it gets at $1000+, I'd go for a Spector but haven't tried the Schechter, which aren't as highly rated in general.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
I've played both and the Spector felt much better. The neck just felt much better. I would go with the Spector.
Spector is by far one of the best bass companys around. Scheter is pretty awesome but Spector is just amazing.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
aaargh! just found out the shop i was gonna go to to try them out has closed, dont know if i'm gonna be able to go try them out, does anyone know if you can return instruments bought over the web if it's from a shop and not a private seller?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Depends on the terms of the store and where you are. Certainly in British law you have the right to return most purchases within a week or something.
Quote by AmpleSteak
Spector is by far one of the best bass companys around. Scheter is pretty awesome but Spector is just amazing.

Not the cheaper ones.
The cheap Spectors are kind of meh.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
can anyone name any UK stores that may sell these 2 basses, i've tried looking at GAK and Nevada music and neither of them two had them
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by smb
Sound Control?

that was the one i was going to go to, they've gone out of business
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by smb
Some of the shops have been reopened though, I hear.

they've been bought out and only 6 shops have been opened by the new people but they havent got any product info on the website
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
i'll just have to wait and see if 'reverb' reopen more of the stores and also what they stock
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by |Heretic|
try thomann.de, they have a returns policy of 28 days i think

have done, they have the schecter but not the spector, and i really would want to try them both out becuase apart from the looks the only real difference i can see is the price, they have same pups, both 24 frets, both quilted maple tops etc etc
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Schecter over Spector, but I would suggest looking towards Fender or Ibanez, Scheters sound great for Metal and other more 'modern' kinds of music, but brands like Fender, Ibanez, Ernie Ball, and even Squier make basses that will suit a wide range of musical genre's and all of those have decent 5 -strings. (Fender Deluxe Active Jazz, Ibanez SR505, Musicman Stingray V, and the good 'ol Squier Standard V.)
Quote by FbSa
Schecter over Spector, but I would suggest looking towards Fender or Ibanez, Scheters sound great for Metal and other more 'modern' kinds of music, but brands like Fender, Ibanez, Ernie Ball, and even Squier make basses that will suit a wide range of musical genre's and all of those have decent 5 -strings. (Fender Deluxe Active Jazz, Ibanez SR505, Musicman Stingray V, and the good 'ol Squier Standard V.)

i already have a 4 string fender jazz so i dont really want another of them and i'm mainly looking for something different in terms of looks, dont get me wrong the fenders look really nice but they're so standard now if you know what i mean.
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
do be honest, i have never played a Spector, but i have played the Stilletto Custom, and liked it very much. it has 5 strings but the neck is as narrow as my 4 string Jazz, and that is sweet. i sold my Fender Deluxe V (MIM) because the neck was too wide for my liking. why Fender chooses to keep the string spacing the same on the 5's, as on their 4's is beyond me.
visually, I'd say the Spector.
but I haven't played one so I decline to vote.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I find that they are entirely different basses. My spector has sort of a scooped/hollow tone suitable for metal, and slaps like a dream. The schecter is a more varied bass with a thinner neck, smaller body, and a single string bridge.

Think of it this way.

A schecter is like an ibanez with a smaller body and a couple differences.
A spector is like a Warwick with a jazz bass neck and not as rare woods.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
A schecter is like an ibanez with a smaller body and a couple differences.
A spector is like a Warwick with a jazz bass neck and not as rare woods.

thanks for that, it's made it alot more clear, i think the spector is sounding more appealing because on all the warwicks i've played i've always thought the neck was a bit thick, and i love the neck on my jazz, although i can't really comment on that analysis of a schecter because i've never played an ibanez bass
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Spector was actually the origional maker of Warwick's streamer shape, Warwick bought the rights from them a while back.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Spector was actually the origional maker of Warwick's streamer shape, Warwick bought the rights from them a while back.

yea, i think my teacher said something about that a while ago, spector seem to have nicer body shapes in general IMO
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
the shecter is a far better bass but personally i would get the hellraiser-5 shecter
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus