Page 1 of 3
Icumblood!!!!!!111!!!one

yeah that didnt even make sense... but yeah i'd say gain and mad lyrics!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Noise level?

That would make it loud, not heavy...

I'm gonna say lyrics can make a song heavy, because I think lyrics can be just as heavy as instrumentation.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
dude, heavy means chugging riffs with a lot of gain, the day a guy claims a pop song to be heavy is the day that guy gets smacked in the face
depends what you mean by heavy It could be an emotionally heavy song via lyrics or the music itself. It could be musically heavy like metal, where its just all out mayhem with a huge oumph factor behind it.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']That would make it loud, not heavy...

I'm gonna say lyrics can make a song heavy, because I think lyrics can be just as heavy as instrumentation.

just what i was going to say.
it's just a describing word. it could mean many things.
as a wise man once said about Led Zeppelin, "Heaviness isn't volume, it's attitude"
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Simply because I could breed the pokemon, and act out my sick sexual fantasies between Dittos and Chanseys.

Quote by bequickorbedead
She had sex..with my...AIDS?
the amount of distortion and palm mute
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

If you give a mouse a cookie,satan will get angry
Distortion, thick guitar rhythm and lead parts?
Counter melodies as well, maybe.

Also, a strong bass line. Anything to give it a thick texture, and depth.
Tony Iommi.

He'll make it heavy
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Depends, the drum and guitars can make it heavy like Cannibal Corpse and the lyrics can, like Opeth..
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Heaviness ultimately refers exclusively to how emphasized the beat is. Therefore, a pop song and whatnot cannot be heavy.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by lotsofvolume
Distortion, thick guitar rhythm and lead parts?
Counter melodies as well, maybe.

Also, a strong bass line. Anything to give it a thick texture, and depth.

What do you mean with "counter melodies"?
Quote by streetlegal08
Lyrics can make a song heavy, but what if I record it using only a piano? Could it still be considered heavy?

Moonlight sonata is a emotionally heavy song .
Quote by streetlegal08
What do you mean with "counter melodies"?

melodies that cancel out everything else being played resulting in silence!
Quote by Me2NiK
Heaviness ultimately refers exclusively to how emphasized the beat is. Therefore, a pop song and whatnot cannot be heavy.

Well, One) that's not true and Two) pop songs can emphasize the beat.

You fail.

Also, if you want to heavy it up...
...slow it down!
Well, if you want to make a song heavy. You put words into the song like "fat" "overweight" and "obese"

Those words will make your lyrics heavy for sure. Also a bit lazy. Slow also, with a good chance of having a heart attack.

Well, I did nothing for your topic. Good day.
well when i was recording some **** with my mate we actually found a song could sound "heavy" with guitars and drums but when we added the bass it just became so brutal that the awesome factor shot through the roof then the idea to form a band died because well it did.

but strong bass presence can have alot to do with it also unison playing between the guitars and bass can sound really really heavy when chugging riffs away (technically the bass is an octave down so meh)
I am me. Live with it.
Heaviness to me is defined by three factors: Attitude, Intensity, and the Beat.

Although it's really an indefinable.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by i bleed metal
dude, heavy means chugging riffs with a lot of gain, the day a guy claims a pop song to be heavy is the day that guy gets smacked in the face

Fail. Listen to Hurt (either the NIN or Johnny Cash version), and tell me that song isn't heavy.

Atmosphere is important. Bach was able to create crushingly heavy music using classical instruments, with no distortion.

Minor scales and chords are good. With chords, a good effect is to add extra unconventional notes to the chord that you're playing. Again, like the intro chord to Hurt (NIN). There's a dissonant quality that grabs the ear.

Unconventional minor scales are good for soloing. Try the Harmonic Minor. That has a nice unearthly sound to it.

And despite what people may say, it's not all about crushing distortion and volume. Listen to Climbing Up The Walls if you're looking for an example of how to make a heavier than hell song, without resorting to filth pedals and palm chugging.

TIME

...I've created my own time signature. Geddit?

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Page 1 of 3