Eb|---10--------10~~~~~~--------------------10--------------------------|
Bb|---13b(full)-13h~~~~~-/14~~~-10-12-10~~~-13b(full)---14~~~-/12\-/10\-|
Gb|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
Db|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
Ab|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
Eb|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|

IM playing this through a Les Paul and Fender amp. Im in standard tuning, would playing this song in standard tuning not half step down cause the annoying squeel when I play that first chord
No, it shouldn't. What do you mean by an "annoying squeel"? Are you accidentally hitting a harmonic?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
If you're bending up the B to the pitch of the 10th fret on the E string, then that's the "wave" to show pitch difference. That's natural, and I think it sounds cool, like a raw aggressive overtone.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Marx Brothers doctor reference alert:

Don't play that chord then!

Anyway, you may be giving one of the bent notes an under or over bend that is creating a dissonance within the chord. Or you're somehow getting a harmonic out of one of them without intending to.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Im bending it up toward the G string because bending like you usualy would just mute the e string
Quote by jc71corvette
IM playing this through a Les Paul and Fender amp. Im in standard tuning, would playing this song in standard tuning not half step down cause the annoying squeel when I play that first chord

Well, if you're playing it when using distortion it's going to sound really scratchy, it's just like the Beast And The Harlot solo, personally, I think it adds a really nice aggressive touch
Okay so its the chord it self not the bend thats causing that annoying sound. I tried playing it clean and it sounded fine, then I added distortion and it gave that annoying dissoance type sound. I ran it through my ds1 alone and my fender distortion alone and gave the same sound. Its something with the chord. Even when you try

15B

It gives the same dissoance.

So I guess my question is, how did the lead guitarist in daughtry make it sound so crisp when playing those chords?
Maybe he didn't. Maybe the producer fixed it in post (some producer with computers fixed my sh*tty tracks).

Or maybe you have a fret discrepancy that comes out in higher gain situations, creating a harmonic that's not normally there. What kind of Les Paul do you have?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
You might be right on the editing, i'll see what other peoples covers and them playing live sound like.

It can't be the frets. I've tried it on both my Lp's.
OR

1. You're not in tune

2. You're not bending in tune

Im pretty sure i know what you're talking about, just bend the string higher or lower than you are now till the two string's pitches "match" It should sound right

Im pretty sure you just have a technique problem, how long have you been playing
Obligatory Gear List
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige
Epi LP Std w/ SDs
Morley Bad Horsie
Mesa Stiletto ACE 2x12
EHX Small Clone
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Guild Acoustic
My Band
My Youtube Channel
That's called unison bending. Play it and bend the lower string up until it's very close to the same pitch as the other note. It will sound cool with lots of distortion, common in blues and rock.

here's a lesson on them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaE-sQZSP5Y
Last edited by Jimmy94 at Jun 14, 2008,
this might be as simple as switching to the neck pickup to eliminate some treble...

or not at all......
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by wolfy808
If you're bending up the B to the pitch of the 10th fret on the E string, then that's the "wave" to show pitch difference. That's natural, and I think it sounds cool, like a raw aggressive overtone.

+1

Pay more attention in physics classes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(acoustics)

When the two pitches match it'll go away. It's not a chord, it's just 2 notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well its in standard half step down tuning and im in standard. You really think that'd make that dissoance?
Quote by jc71corvette
Well its in standard half step down tuning and im in standard. You really think that'd make that dissoance?

I'd got nothing to do with your tuning, have you actually read any of the replies?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yes I have been and im still baffled. Any time you play the 10 and 13 together WITHOUT a bend, it has that crapy tone to it.
I tried bending it both ways, bending both notes together(not what the tab says), I tried full bends 1/4 bends, and nothing works. Did you guys listen to the song? Its such a clean bend sound he gets.
Seriously, look at my post and look at the youtube video. It's called a unison bend. That's the answer to your question. End of story.
You need to learn to bend correctly, and listen to Steven Seagull.
I know what you're talking about, and we've already told that its caused by bending the string too high or too low. This difference in pitches is very 'annoying' because its just plain off.
Edit:You should also listen to Jimmy94 lol
Quote by tjhome28
It annoys me when kids sit there playing the sweet child o mine or smoke on the water intro riff repeatedly
and badly
and so loud the whole shop can't hear themselves think
and with the worst amp settings possible

[/rant]

+1
Last edited by Xaveir at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by jc71corvette
Yes I have been and im still baffled. Any time you play the 10 and 13 together WITHOUT a bend, it has that crapy tone to it.

If you have two pitches that are almost the same you will get a dissonant interference in the sound known as "beats". This interference will start fast, but slow down as the bent note approaches the target pitch, finally disappearing when they're the same. It works for tuning too, especially when using harmonics.

Which is exactly what me and a couple of other people have already said. Practice your bending, you're not getting the bent note up to pitch accurately.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by jc71corvette

That is because the two notes are not harmoically related to each other.
You need to bend 13 on B up to the same pitch as the 10 on E. This is the unison bend technique as everyone has been explaining. It is supposed to sound that way and sounds particularily great with a bit of overdrive, think Jimmy Page on Joe Cockers version of "Get By With A Little Help From My Friends".
You'll notice that 14 on B with 10 on E, or 9 on B and 10 on E still produces that discordant, "crappy" tone your discribing.
The point is you have to bend to exact pitch or it will sound discordant.
Of course I'm assuming that you've tuned your guitar properly.