i didnt know where to post this so dont get mad but,
in bands like hellogoodbye and in some forever the sickest kids songs there are some effects on the voices and i was wondering how they did that

thanks in advance
dead beat
six feet underground
an eye for an eye
leaves us all blind
goin once
twice
there goes your life
Random crap on the computer
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
whats a vocoder?
dead beat
six feet underground
an eye for an eye
leaves us all blind
goin once
twice
there goes your life
thanks
dead beat
six feet underground
an eye for an eye
leaves us all blind
goin once
twice
there goes your life
+1 Vocoding.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
Vocoding is one thing you can do, you can also use distortion (which some people confuse with vocoding because they sound similar sometimes) or pretty much any other effect you can think of, I like to use flanging and delay on vocals personally, but I do also use Vocoding using NI Vokator. Also you can use one of Antares many programs, autotune being one of them, that make some very bizzare sounds at extreme settings.l Pitch shifting is another popular one.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
how do you use flanging on a mic? through a computer system or like a pedal? how do they do it live?
dead beat
six feet underground
an eye for an eye
leaves us all blind
goin once
twice
there goes your life
Quote by stringmagician
It's not vocoding, look up Anteres auto tune, that's what those bands use live.

It's both, occasionally used together. I run stuff like this in my studio, since HGB and Daft Punk are two of my favorite bands.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jun 18, 2008,
oh okay. so how do you use that like live? cuz isnt that a program? and could you reccomend me me something to get that effect? nothing too fancy i just wanna get the synthy vocals of HGB and FTSK
dead beat
six feet underground
an eye for an eye
leaves us all blind
goin once
twice
there goes your life
Quote by henhouse913
oh okay. so how do you use that like live? cuz isnt that a program? and could you reccomend me me something to get that effect? nothing too fancy i just wanna get the synthy vocals of HGB and FTSK

Best and cheapest way to do all of these effects is to put your mic through a laptop live.

You will be able to get VSTs that will let you vocode, autotune, and do anything you want really.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
alright. so how do i do that? what do i need? what are VSTs?
dead beat
six feet underground
an eye for an eye
leaves us all blind
goin once
twice
there goes your life
Quote by henhouse913
alright. so how do i do that? what do i need? what are VSTs?

Judging by this, you'd probably want to start with some aspects of recording that are a little simpler than vocoding and vocal effects.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
well i didnt want to deal with recording as much as the effect itself. all i want to know is what and how i need to do it live. if thats possible.
dead beat
six feet underground
an eye for an eye
leaves us all blind
goin once
twice
there goes your life
U can get a converter cable to change the microphone cable to a guitar cable and run it through guitar effect pedals. Quick and dirty and with some adjustment works quite well.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
It's both PitchCorrection and Vocoding.
You do it with an audio interface and computer for studio use, and can sometimes setup for line use with this as well...

This should be in R&R and to answer most of your Qs including the VST one, read Tweaks Guide linked in my sig.

also look into the Voiceworks and Voiceworks Plus
you put a cat up next to the microphone, and then yell the lyrics, and ur voice goes through the cat's fur, and makes cool sounds. i've seen the future.

<---- metal.
It's called Autotune. It's a basic effect that can be found in (almost) every recording program
Veteran UGer. Suck it.