Page 1 of 4
Well, yesterday I downloaded the movie Cloverfield from a torrent site (mininova) and used Limewire to download the movie.

This morning I check my ISP email and I get one that says basically that Paramount Pictures knows that I downloaded it and that I don't have a license for it.

I checked the "Infringement Terms" on my ISP's website and they said for first infringement they will look past it and not terminate my account. But thats not what I'm worried about. I have to submit what I have done. The three options are:
Yes: Yes, I've complied and removed all copyrighted material for which I'm not the copyright holder.
No: No,I've not complied and I'm still distributing copyrighted material.
Mistake: Mistake, You sent the notice to the wrong person (must fill in more detail below).

They said in the email that they have the right amount of evidence to prove I downloaded this, so I'm not going to go with mistake. I'm going to say Yes and hope that they decide not to take this to court. I mean after all it is my first infringement.

So I don't reccommend that anyone download from a Torrent site. I'm not sure if music is the same off Limewire, but Torrents can be easily tracked. No more torrents for me.

Thought I would give everybody the heads up. Also, has this ever happened to anyone here before?
tell them they're wrong. they probably won't even read this and it will all go away. get a decent peer to peer.

EDIT: or go FOTB and tell them "ur little brudder did it and he is ded." better yet say, "mah friend just did it and he ran away to hawaii"
Last edited by bendystraw at Jun 13, 2008,
Happened to this kid I know... Verizon just said not to do it anymore or else he would be screwed.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Sounds like a joke. Paramount can't know that without installing illegal software on your machine.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
Yeah, there's a been a few threads like this in the past. Just stay honest and they'll probably let it slide.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
thanks for the heads up man.

looks like buying legit. is gonna be the way forwards now..
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
That'll teach you to download crappy movies illegally!

But, that bites. Just be honest.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
Sounds like a joke. Paramount can't know that without installing illegal software on your machine.

No no no, I didn't install any illegal software, I downloaded a movie. And in the email it said that they put a tracker on the Torrent so they know where it goes and who transfers it or recieves it.
1. Limewire is for nubs
2. uTorrent
3. Demonoid
4. Peer Guardian

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I've been pegged 3 times by telus. First 2 for downloading psp games and most recent one for downloading hairspray (:P), they said if I do it enough times they'll shut down my internet. I'm pretty much done with torrents but I'll still get music.

Also I never did/saw the do you still have it on your computer thing. The thing that scares me the most is I'm connected to my dads internet and his internet is for his work so if I get the internet shut down, I'm ****ed.

Quote by Xiaoxi
1. Limewire is for nubs
2. uTorrent
3. Demonoid
4. Peer Guardian

A couple questions. Can they find you (they includes ISP) if you use demonoid because when I got busted, it was when demonoid was shut down, also I was using Utorrent and finally, what is peer guardian?
Last edited by drunkinkoala at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by drunkinkoala
I've been pegged 3 times by telus. First 2 for downloading psp games and most recent one for downloading hairspray (:P), they said if I do it enough times they'll shut down my internet. I'm pretty much done with torrents but I'll still get music.

Also I never did/saw the do you still have it on your computer thing. The thing that scares me the most is I'm connected to my dads internet and his internet is for his work so if I get the internet shut down, I'm ****ed.

how do you download a hair care product?
Well I just complied and answered Yes. I deleted the movie off my computer and everything. I just hope to God that they let it go.
Quote by bendystraw

It's a (bad) musical.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by bendystraw

The movie/musical. And what's even worse is I didn't get to watch it because soon after I did a system restore.
I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to download files since the internet is public domain, only to share them.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Ha, they did that to me for downloading Star Wars Battlefront. I wasn't even finish downloading the torrent and already had an e-mail. I never responded or did anything and they haven't done anything since.

BTW, Mininova's crap. Use isohunt, much better search engine.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Last edited by Metalology at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
1. Limewire is for nubs
2. uTorrent
3. Demonoid
4. Peer Guardian

Demonoid isn't that great. Worst private tracker that I've used.
Am I the only person who saw he downloaded a torrent with LimeWire? I mean really now? I see a house of lies.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
that sucks dude
by the way how was cloverfield
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
Quote by i have to pee
Am I the only person who saw he downloaded a torrent with LimeWire? I mean really now? I see a house of lies.

Im sure thats possible. I've done it once with Frostwire and they are practically the same thing
I download torrents with Limewire sometimes, though I normally don't bother, I just got a few discographys for bands I wanted to check out so I can't be bothered to go find a proper program for it.

Oh and Cloverfield was alright, probably worth watching just to see something a bit different, just don't expect too much! It's pretty funny too.
Quote by michael_1391
Well I just complied and answered Yes. I deleted the movie off my computer and everything. I just hope to God that they let it go.

Did you burn it to a DVD first?

Also I'm using Ares as torrent software for a movie I'm torrenting from Pirate Bay...which is pretty much identical to what you did so maybe they'll catch me too. Oh well.
Quote by i have to pee

There are torrents on limewire (at least there were). I didn't know what torrents were when I saw them that long ago.
holy **** I though torrents were safe, i've only downloaded music off them but i'll just use limewire
Quote by i have to pee

You didn't know Limewire is basically a torrent downloader mixed with p2p?
Quote by National_Anthem
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Worst-Atheists (because 90% of them are arrogant bastards)
Best- Music

90% of people are arrogant bastards, regardless of religion.
Quote by walkinbazooka
I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to download files since the internet is public domain, only to share them.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Yes, they said in the email that I must either delete OR block sharing of the file. So I think you are just not allowed to share.
Quote by drunkinkoala

A couple questions. Can they find you (they includes ISP) if you use demonoid because when I got busted, it was when demonoid was shut down, also I was using Utorrent and finally, what is peer guardian?

1. Demonoid has a close, secure community. Members are easily checked for legitimacy. There is almost no virus/malicious files uploaded on Demonoid (but no guarantee for external uploads). You could also try Oink but that's harder and less accessible.

2. I was just recommending uTorrent because it pwns. Who the hell uses Limewire to download a torrent?

3. If you use Firefox with Ad-Block, Peer Guardian can be analogous to how Ad-Block works. It has a compiled, frequently updated list of known IPs from the recording/copyright-related agencies and it blocks them. Therefore, they can't track you. The latest version is for XP but they're working on it for Vista.

Also, a note: isoHunt and its affiliates are forced to comply by tracking your IPs and keeping them in a record.

Quote by Shpongled
Demonoid isn't that great. Worst private tracker that I've used.

Eat my ass. I've had no problem with it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jun 13, 2008,
Your ISP won't take you to court, they don't own the copyright. They are just covering their own asses so they don't get sued. Tell them you got rid of it, and don't seed any torrents. They have no motive for engaging you in a lawsuit for which Paramount would be the beneficiary and not them.

It's not a big deal, it happens all the time. Unless the MPAA contacts you, you have nothing to worry about. Just say that you comply.

Worse case scenario is they terminate your internet service.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by michael_1391
Yes, they said in the email that I must either delete OR block sharing of the file. So I think you are just not allowed to share.

That's what I thought. So it's as simple as unchecking the 'share files' box.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Page 1 of 4