Well, I need some help. I have a MIM Fender strat HSS, and I am unsatisfied with the tone from the humbucker in the bridge. I have tried the guitar out on a couple of amps (My friend has a Peavey VK 112), and overall I just can't get a good tone. However, I have never had it set up properly either. I'm a bit of a guitar noob and from what I can tell most of the responses to these sort of questions is to get a new amp. However, I'd really like to get a new humbucker in the bridge since my amp is not the only amp I use.

I'd rather not buy actives, and I'm into classic rock and a bit of metal. I was looking at a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom for the bridge and a DiMarzio DP217 YJM Guitar Pickup for the neck while I was at it.

If that was too long, my tone sucks. Please, recommend me a way to improve my tone.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
FUNDS: $600
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'm not huge into metal. I like Metallica, Satch, Vai, Malmsteen (Would they be considered metal?), but I prefer hard rock and classic rock. I do occasionally delve into metal just not often. Thanks for the suggestion though I'll look into it.

EDIT: Have you used these pickups? Why these? Better dynamics? I was comparing the pickups on the Seymour Duncan site and they sounded pretty close. But maybe my hearing sucks.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
i agree the hummer in the mim is pretty weak.......but the lack of tone control really kills it. i rewired mine and it did help. as far as a new pickup it depends on your TASTE. the duncan pearly gates seems to be a great all arounder.
don't waste your money by bying a new amp and pickups if the guitar isn't setup right.

first, get a setup or learn to do it yourself. then if you're not happy make sure it's the tone and not flaws in your playing style.
Quote by SenorSmiley
don't waste your money by bying a new amp and pickups if the guitar isn't setup right.

first, get a setup or learn to do it yourself. then if you're not happy make sure it's the tone and not flaws in your playing style.

Also consider, after doing this, at the very least a speaker swap out of the VK. As I pointed out in another thread, the VK is a budget tube amp. The stock speakers and tubes are kinda blah. You can really spruce up your tone with some modifications.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
your guitar won't sound good if its not setup. it won't be in tune and it wont feel right and if you're just learning it will screw up your ears as well.

get a setup, shut off the fuzz and practice.
Quote by mmjohn
i agree the hummer in the mim is pretty weak.......but the lack of tone control really kills it. i rewired mine and it did help. as far as a new pickup it depends on your TASTE. the duncan pearly gates seems to be a great all arounder.

Yeah, I also noticed the inability to control tone, but I assumed it was like that for most guitars with humbuckers. Do you or anyone else have some wiring diagrams they'd care to share? I have never soldered anything before, but I have access to a soldering gun. Is it easy? Or would it just be easier (and safer for my guitar, don't want to screw anything up) if I'd bring the diagrams in with my guitar for a set-up. Speaking of a set-up, approximately how much am I looking at?

Thanks for all the help!
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
Quote by EtherealAmateur
Yeah, I also noticed the inability to control tone, but I assumed it was like that for most guitars with humbuckers. Do you or anyone else have some wiring diagrams they'd care to share? I have never soldered anything before, but I have access to a soldering gun. Is it easy? Or would it just be easier (and safer for my guitar, don't want to screw anything up) if I'd bring the diagrams in with my guitar for a set-up. Speaking of a set-up, approximately how much am I looking at?

Thanks for all the help!

here ya go hope it helps.
http://bothners.co.za/articles/hotrodstrat4.shtml