ok. i bought ernie balls and they freakin rusted so damn fast!! dont tell me some famous guitarist uses them because they change their strings every day. they dont rust. wtf. i use them but im not made of money. i cant buy strings every damn week. any way to reduce rusting? im fine with the tone, it's just, they become really suckish after a couple of weeks. if theres no other way, i need a new brand. i play metal and want a tone that isnt too middy, and has good low and high end.
thanks, but not to ernie ball. wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf

EDIT: BTW, are rusted strings usable or... not. it's funny. every day, my strings rust more and i notice the difference. makes me laugh.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jun 13, 2008,
Clean your strings when you're done, just a wipe down with a dry, lint-free cloth should help a lot.

Also I use EBs but they take a while to get corroded on my guitar and I don't even clean my strings...maybe you just have more acidic sweat than most people?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Clean your strings when you're done, just a wipe down with a dry, lint-free cloth should help a lot.

Also I use EBs but they take a while to get corroded on my guitar and I don't even clean my strings...maybe you just have more acidic sweat than most people?

maybe. but when i use other strings, like strings i wouldnt use they dont rust. Fender strings dont rust. dunlops dont rust, but those are impossible to get for some reason. on other strings, i get black stuff
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Get elixirs if your worried about rust. Strings rust eventually, especially fast at this time of year.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by apak
maybe. but when i use other strings, like strings i wouldnt use they dont rust. Fender strings dont rust. dunlops dont rust, but those are impossible to get for some reason. on other strings, i get black stuff

yeah wtf me too! i would recomend exlier, it has this overcoat on it to prevent rusting, but eventually it will rust of course
They rusted fast on me too, I got D Addarios, and if your using .09's try using .10's
Clean 'em down after every time you use them...it seems to be the only thing if you don't have a problem with other strings.

You could always switch string brands. I like D'Addarios, personally.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
D'Addario's are perfect. They have high quality, they're cheaper and they last longer. My opinion though!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
use a string cleaner
i use a spray called finger ease and it works pretty well
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
hmm I've had the same ernie ball strings on my guitar for a couple months and they're doing just fine and I play daily when I can. they seem to hold up pretty well in my experience.
i use fingerease and dunlop string cleaner. they do nothing to prevent rust but they do prevent the black stuff. i use 10-52 btw. i cant use 9's haha
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
D'Addario's seem to last longer than EB's and GHS's to me. And I have incredibly acidic sweat (I will get a fair amount of rust within 3 days, and I wipe down my strings after I play).
D'Addarios seem to be the longest lasting non coated strings i've played. But, I might as well invest in Elixers, since I make my strings rust like crazy.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Strings are like women...there's no "one" out there but there are plenty you can find happiness in a long term relationship with if you look hard enough, and everybody has their own taste in them.

That being said, some peoples sweat is more acidic (or whatever) then others, and react to different strings differently. Like others have said, you should wipe down your strings before and after you play. Everyone should do this anyway, but you obviously should if your strings are rusting that quick.

What kind of environment do you live in? High humidity? That doesn't help either, I've found.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
try the dunlop Zakk Wylde signature strings
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Quote by .Jamison

Ignore this...

Anyways, I use Ernie Ball Super Slinks. I change them every few weeks to keep my tone nice, but I've never had a set rust on me. Like everyone else here has said, you're sweat is probably really acidic, causing the strings to corode or rust. Again, like everyone else has said, wipe down your strings before and after playing to keep them clean and sweat free for a while. Or invest in another brand of strings. Some things just don't work for everyone.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
Ignore this...

Anyways, I use Ernie Ball Super Slinks. I change them every few weeks to keep my tone nice, but I've never had a set rust on me. Like everyone else here has said, you're sweat is probably really acidic, causing the strings to corode or rust. Again, like everyone else has said, wipe down your strings before and after playing to keep them clean and sweat free for a while. Or invest in another brand of strings. Some things just don't work for everyone.

whats wrong with the dunlops
Gear
Quote by edusty2010
I had the same problem as you TC, that's why I stopped using them. I liked them too, but I just got sick of having to buy a set of strings every week. And I was cleaning them too.

But I switched to DR Tite-fits, a set of these things last a good 3 weeks, much longer if you clean them!

Holy crap, 3 weeks? How much do you play? I've gotten 2 months out of my DR's so far (just switched over from D'addario). Though of course, I do clean them pre and post playing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by .Jamison
whats wrong with the dunlops

Nothing. There's just everything wrong with Zakk Wylde. Besides, I bought a set of those strings. Every third note I played was a pinch harmonic, so I went back to my Super Slinks.
O ok, I don't have that problem, i was thinking along the lines of strength.
Gear
Quote by .Jamison

no actually, these strings freakin rock. but they dont come in 10-52. only 10-46 and 10-60. and like i said, dunlop strings are impossible to find in any stores i live near. GC AND samash hollywood both dont carry those.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
D'Addario's and DR's seem to last long and are common among Metal players....Then again I know really good Metal players that swear by EB....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
hmm well DRs are a good choice
i actually have them on right now cuz a friend of mine bought a set for me...
i do agree that the DRs last longer than EBs but...ive been a EB man since i picked up my guitar...i like the feel of them
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
I use EB's and change em every 3 months or so just b/c they start gettin worn...not b/c they rust or break...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I had EB Slinkies on my guitar for probably close to a year before my last string change... In fact, my other guitar has gone without string change for over a year (it really needs it) and I think it has EBs, so a pox on thee.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by BaffAttack
Holy crap, 3 weeks? How much do you play? I've gotten 2 months out of my DR's so far (just switched over from D'addario). Though of course, I do clean them pre and post playing.

Well lately here I've been clocking around idk, 4-5 hours daily . Sometimes more than that. I picked up my guitar around 8 last night and practiced improving my picking hand for what I thought was about an hour, I looked over at the clock and it was 3 IN THE MORNING.

But I don't clean them, either. I really should though, as they are kinda expensive lol.

That and I bend the **** out of them lol. I love bending
Last edited by edusty2010 at Jun 14, 2008,
wash your hands bro and wipe your strings as often as possible. other than that strings are a matter of taste, i like Dean Markley's.

good luck
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik