Just picked up a mexican strat and the D string makes a vibrating noise when i play it with or without an amp. I tried raising the action, tuning up more, etc.. still does it. Do I have a fret that is higher than all the others? That's what my most rational opinion is but if i had a fret that was too high then wouldn't that make all the strings make the same vibrating sound? This IS a BRAND new guitar also, so I doubt anybody messed around with it.

Any wisdom is appreciated.

-Nate
at what point or fret is it buzzing?

hopefully it's just a kink in a stock string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ wow, talk about a stretch for ad.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

jj.. i don't know which fret or where the source of the sound is coming from.

smiley - please never post in my threads again. thanks.
i had the same problem. try this: get a wrench and tighten the bolts (or w/e they are called) on the tuners. I did all the same stuff too until i realized the problem was coming from the headstock.
try stumming and touching the bridge and tuners on the headstock, make sure it's not a loose part.

also, does the noise go thru the amp? or is is just acoustic?

is it louder with an open string or when you fret it?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

you need to look at a few things.

1- how are your pickups set? believe it or not, this can make a difference if they're too high
2- are you sure it's the string buzzing on the fret and not the saddle?
3- you may have a high fret
4- you may need to adjust ur truss rod
jj- ill check for loose parts later. the noise is louder with an open string. the sound goes through an amp and acoustic.

senor - might be pickups. not sure. and im pretty sure its not the saddle.
Do you have a ruler that measures in 32s and 64s? Starrett makes a good one for a few bucks. If you do I can give you the measurements you should start out with.

Also, if your Strat has raised pole pieces you should radius your saddles to match the radius of your fretboard.

Or you could buy my strat on ebay. it plays in tune perfect and sounds good.
sometimes stock string are awful.

if you can't figure out the problem, make sure the guys at the shop where you bought it, know about the problem, before your warranty runs out.

they might just tap the fret a little.

also, if it makes the noise when acoustic, it wont be the pickups. unless something is rubbing against them, and that;s unlikely, as it;s just one string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

if your pickups are too close to the strings the magnets will mess things up - plugged in or not.
im sorry, but that is so unlikely in this scenario.

that string is already the highest. the pickup is not going to be that close to the strings to be affecting that one string. if it was that close, the more likely problem would be the string rubbing the pickup, like said. not a magnet problem heard acoustically.

usually, with buzz on one raised string heard acoustically, you are looking for a bad string, a low cut nut, a loose part, or a high fret.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so the magnets on your pickups only work when it's plugged in????

LOL

A Strat has to be setup properly. You have a floating bridge and a few things you need to worry about. I'm not saying it's your pickup height, but in order for the guitar to play and sound as good as it can all of this stuff has to be taken into consideration.

Tomorrow I'll im you a strat setup guide to get you started.
Quote by SenorSmiley

LOL

A Strat has to be setup properly. You have a floating bridge and a few things you need to worry about. I'm not saying it's your pickup height, but in order for the guitar to play and sound as good as it can all of this stuff has to be taken into consideration.

Tomorrow I'll im you a strat setup guide to get you started.

/facepalm

Strats that are brand new from the shop usually have a fixed bridge, especially the MIM ones, the TS didn't even mention he had a floating bridge, what the hell are you thinking? First you don't even attempt to help the TS and post an ad about your supposed good Strat, and now you're trying to bull**** him.

Don't listen to this person TS, you're better off listening to Jenny, she knows her stuff.
a strat doesn't come with a trem on it? if he has a hard tail model maybe. if not, he needs to set it up properly before he can expect it to play right.

the reason my strat plays in tune all the time even if i bend strings, etc... is because it's setup correctly.

trust me. i'll send you some strat setup info from dan earlewine tomorrow and you can try it. it won't cost you anything and it may help you out.

if you can just show me where i said that, that would be great.

anyway, i'm telling you, the pickup height is not going to be his buzzing problem on that string.
i think you feel bad about posting spam and are over compensating.

this is a really good starter set up guide for strat owners, but i really dont think he should be adjusting the truss rod, or raising the string any further up.

because if it's not a loose part (not covered here) then it might be a high fret, low cut nut or bad string. all should be handled by the shop if still under warranty.

http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

sure, it could be any of those things. im giving him another option to check. besides, it doesn't hurt to get some info on how to setup a guitar.

i don't feel bad about posting spam at all but if the kid has a low end guitar chances are it didn't come with a great setup. even if it's a loose fret or bad nut he should still set it up correctly
Quote by SenorSmiley
a strat doesn't come with a trem on it? if he has a hard tail model maybe. if not, he needs to set it up properly before he can expect it to play right.

the reason my strat plays in tune all the time even if i bend strings, etc... is because it's setup correctly.

trust me. i'll send you some strat setup info from dan earlewine tomorrow and you can try it. it won't cost you anything and it may help you out.

Fixed bridges are tremolos, so are Floyds.

If he were to have a floating bridge such as a Floyd Rose, he'd have mentioned it, not many strats come with a floating bridge.

Even if you set up a guitar correctly, it could go out of tune because of the weather or because of faulty hardware, or just old strings.

Your ignorance on guitars amuses me.
Quote by SenorSmiley
your hostility amuses me LOL

So once you've run out of arguments, you come back with that?

I did call you ignorant, but that's because your statements are full of crap, and you continually insist you're right when you're obviously wrong.

If you can't really provide an argument and prove me wrong (I'm fine with being proven wrong, I'd like to learn something new.) without resorting to that, please leave.
Quote by SenorSmiley
sure, it could be any of those things. im giving him another option to check. besides, it doesn't hurt to get some info on how to setup a guitar.

i don't feel bad about posting spam at all but if the kid has a low end guitar chances are it didn't come with a great setup. even if it's a loose fret or bad nut he should still set it up correctly

i'm not saying that the guitar shouldnt be setup correctly. i'm trying to solve his problem.

i think all guitars should be set up correctly.

but sometimes my "job" is made more difficult when posts, sometimes spam, sometimes well intentioned but misinformed, take the TS in the wrong direction.

anyway, ill wait for him to look things over and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

all i'm doing is giving the guy some options. i didn't say it's def not this or that. I told him it could be that but also check this.

i'm sorry if that upsets you. if you get upset about posts on a message board i really feel sorry for you. i mean, i'm suggesting the guy learns how to set his guitar up - a good setup cures a lot of things - and you're all mad.

geez.

I probably have more guitars then you do, not that it matters, but i have had a lot of strats over the years and am just telling the guy what has worked for me.

I'm sure you're the undisputed master of the guitar but i have always found setting things up to be a good place to start when looking for a problem. at the very least you usually end up with a guitar that plays better then when you started.

Not that it maters to the OP, but I actually build guitars - from raw wood into finished guitars not just assemble guitars from warmoth parts - so i may know something about them.

if you're interested in seeing some of my guitars and the steps it takes to make them check out:

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/gbnguitars/?start=all

scroll all the way to the bottom to see many construction pics.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by SenorSmiley
all i'm doing is giving the guy some options. i didn't say it's def not this or that. I told him it could be that but also check this.

i'm sorry if that upsets you. if you get upset about posts on a message board i really feel sorry for you. i mean, i'm suggesting the guy learns how to set his guitar up - a good setup cures a lot of things - and you're all mad.

geez.

I probably have more guitars then you do, not that it matters, but i have had a lot of strats over the years and am just telling the guy what has worked for me.

I'm sure you're the undisputed master of the guitar but i have always found setting things up to be a good place to start when looking for a problem. at the very least you usually end up with a guitar that plays better then when you started.

You said he had a FLOATING bridge when he played a brand new MIM strat, that basically gives me the belief that you don't really know what you're talking about.
well, how about i post some links and video clips of guitars i have built and you do the same?

i have serious doubts that you know anything about tone when i see what gear you're playing through!

There, I have now insulted you for real and given you a reason to get angry and mad.

enjoy
Quote by SenorSmiley
well, how about i post some links and video clips of guitars i have built and you do the same?

And in your previous post you said

Face it, you incorrectly named a part and now you're trying to win the argument by making reference to something that has nearly no relevance to the topic?

EDIT:

Quote by SenorSmiley

i have serious doubts that you know anything about tone when i see what gear you're playing through!

There, I have now insulted you for real and given you a reason to get angry and mad.

enjoy

What does having an ear for tone have to do with the argument?
Quote by SenorSmiley
ummmm building guitars has something to do with knowing something about guitars.

Yet you thought his brand new MIM Strat came with a floating bridge
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Jun 14, 2008,
wow, a lot has happened since i was last here. where do i start?

1. if it is a fret, it's the first fret.. possibly the nut. the string doesnt make the sound when i play it on a fret.
2. there's no loose parts on the bridge.
3. i noticed that the bridge is VERY tight (for one with a tremolo system on it). Is this normal?
4. it's not the pickups. theyre not close enough for the string to reach.
5. I'm pretty sure it's a mexican strat. it has 21 frets.. i'd check the back of it right now but it's in my basement and too lazy to go down there.
6. i'd change the strings, but i don't want to waste strings if that's not the problem lol
first slip a bit of paper under the string, in the cut of the nut, to lift the string a little.

if that stops the buzz, then it is a fair bet that, that nut is cut a little low.

if that's the case then thicker gauge will help, but will also require that the trem be balanced again.

check the paper trick and repost if it helped at all.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

okay sorry about the delay, i've been busy with work and final exams. i found out that the problem is not the nut.. the head does not lean back enough to cut off the vibration from the nut, so i was told to put a tree nut on the d string and that will solve the problem. if i play the string and put pressure on the string past the nut the sound doesn't ring. thanks for all your help though!
So what is the definition of a floating bridge exactly? Strats come with the bridge 3 mm off the body. I always thought that was called floating. I'm not arguing, just looking for info.
Quote by XianXiuHong
/facepalm

Strats that are brand new from the shop usually have a fixed bridge, especially the MIM ones, the TS didn't even mention he had a floating bridge, what the hell are you thinking? First you don't even attempt to help the TS and post an ad about your supposed good Strat, and now you're trying to bull**** him.

Don't listen to this person TS, you're better off listening to Jenny, she knows her stuff.

the vintage trems are meant to float.
Quote by BirdHouse
the vintage trems are meant to float.

Which is what I thought...my MIM came by default with a vintage trem 3mm off the body...so isn't it floating?
Quote by IceNineKiller
okay sorry about the delay, i've been busy with work and final exams. i found out that the problem is not the nut.. the head does not lean back enough to cut off the vibration from the nut, so i was told to put a tree nut on the d string and that will solve the problem. if i play the string and put pressure on the string past the nut the sound doesn't ring. thanks for all your help though!

hey i'm glad you found out a way to stop the buzz. BUT. on a brand new strat, you shouldnt have to add a string tree to fix a defect.

the most likely defect there is the cut of the nut in relation to the headstock angle.

string trees can cause tuning issues, so if you do put one on, make it a higher end, roller style.

good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 18, 2008,
ok good luck. i've had my MIM strat about 12 years now, and it's still one of my favorites.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62