ok the first one (fctc) is just a melodyish pattern and some bass and git to keep it moving... im calling it From Creation to Creamation, which is a line from a theorectical physics book i was reading. i was kinda wondering what genisis would have sounded like... yeah i didnt achieve that by any means but i was wondering what you all think, and if its worth finishing

ok the second is just a simple riff (that i really like, thus the "sweet ass" moniker ) i came up with on bass that i expanded on, but i need something to break the song up to keep it interesting and add length. i was thinking like an interlude kinda thing but im pulling blanks on what to do and was hoping i could get some suggestions

thanks everybody

(edit: the bass was off in the one song, ptab fixed)
Attachments:
zip.zip
this is my song. i made it out of music. please help it grow big and strong by criticising it mercilessly
Last edited by HisShortness at Jun 13, 2008,
this first riff uses a lot of dissonance. (notes that dont go well together) which can be used to your advantage. however i htink it just makes the thing a messy . if i were you id strip the riff down to just one guitar, and start from there. if you want a second guitar to do a harmony, then make it a melodic harmony, like 3rds. if you want an example just look at a bit of avenged sevenfold. it works like this: sorry if this is patronising it might help others too though.
---work out what key/mode youre in. do this by finding the notes that sound best as a scale, and are used in your song- (it might not be an already created scale)
for an example lets call it C major...
so the scale is this
C D E F G A B C
(see zipped 'scale')
---now, diatonic harmonies use mostly 3rds, occasionally 5fths, occasionally 6ths, and very occassionally 2nds and 7ths.

---lets make the tune go like this:
C D E A G B C' (the one an octave up from the first c)
(see zipped 'example 1')
---lets look at how to harmonise the first note, a c.
C
The most common thing to do would to have part two play a 3rd up from that. so count on youre scale up 3 notes from the note that part one is playing.
soooo. heres the scale again.
C D E F G A B C
^___^
count up 3 notes, including the one you start on.
its an E. duh.
---other options would be up 5 notes, up 6 notes or down 6 notes, many others you can try.
lets keep it simple to start with though.
so if we take the melody, and jack it up 3 notes for part two, it would look like this
part 1C D E A G B C'
part 2E F G C B D E'
(see zipped 'example 2')
other interesting little alterations where you can take out a couple of notes, leaving the rest trusty thirds, and make them fifths. like this: Ive used a new example, that one sounds like crap.
part 1D A Bb A C D A
part 1F C D C G A F
(see zipped 'example 3')

hope this helps, realised it should have been in the lesson section really though...
Attachments:
Example1.zip
Scale.zip
Example 2.zip
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
ok thanks thats very helpful. what would you do with the third guitar and the bass, without them to me it sounded like the riff wasnt going anywhere. or do you think fixing the melody would resolve that?

and for the other one i wanted a BTBAM style jazzy interlude but i dont know where to start
this is my song. i made it out of music. please help it grow big and strong by criticising it mercilessly
third guitar and basss do the same as guitar 1.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein