I made a thread about a week and a half ago about whether my American made Roland Cube 30X could handle Australian power or not. Well it turns out it can't after having an electrician friend look over it so now I have to invest in a step down transformer BUT I just read that transformers can greatly interfere with the amps sounds but I think it was referring to valve amps and not solid states. Could someone please help clarify this problem please?
I would think it would make a difference since the output transformer and such have an effect on the sound. I think pretty much anything in the circuit will affect the sound, some less than others. Hard to say what that will do without trying.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
with transformers, there's more than meets the eye.

It may mess with the tone, but i'm not really an expert. I'd check in a bit deeper. Perhaps contact Roland.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
with transformers, there's more than meets the eye.

It may mess with the tone, but i'm not really an expert. I'd check in a bit deeper. Perhaps contact Roland.

See if you can't also talk to any guitar techs or sound men that have toured internationally...they have had to have dealt with this problem themselves and might have insight.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yeah, best case scenario would be to talk to a sound tech who has been around alot, but if none can be found/contacted, contacting roland would be a viable choice too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I have a Marshall that was made in 220 and 120V versions. I got a 220V version and use a transformer with it, and it sounds very close to the 120.
I can't really do much about contacting Roland, I already tried to do that and they refused to give me any help because I didn't buy it in Australia and they don't support anything bought outside of this bountiful country... I might try to email Roland in America. I don't really know any techs who have toured, there is one family friend who is a bit of a sound recording whiz but I don't know how much he would know about the circuitry. I'll try and get into contact with him anyway. Thanks a lot guys.
Quote by Borsworth
I can't really do much about contacting Roland, I already tried to do that and they refused to give me any help because I didn't buy it in Australia and they don't support anything bought outside of this bountiful country... I might try to email Roland in America. I don't really know any techs who have toured, there is one family friend who is a bit of a sound recording whiz but I don't know how much he would know about the circuitry. I'll try and get into contact with him anyway. Thanks a lot guys.

Your family friend might know someone, though, so definitely put feelers out.

Hell, I had a problem setting an intonation on a guitar, and I emailed Dan Erlewine directly. This is the luthier who wrote the book on guitar repair, and he actually got back to me...within about an hour!

You never know until you try.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣