Page 1 of 2
I am a begginner at guitar, so i dont know much about the different kinds of equipment and guitars yet. My favorite type of music to play is metal, and i am not really happy with the kind of sound that i am getting from my current equipment. I dont have the nicest stuff in the world so i am looking to upgrade something. I have a Dean Vendetta XM guitar and a Line 6 Spider III 15w amp. Should i look into getting a new guitar, amp, or even a distortion pedal?
New amp.

/thread.

No seriously, new amp, you're only gonna get so much out of a SIII especially a 15w, it's a practice amp. What kind of metal do you prefer to play?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Neeew amp.
I'd recommend a Roland Cube 60 or Randall RG50tc if you have a little extra cash - look on the used market as well as new.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by BaffAttack
New amp.

/thread.

No seriously, new amp, you're only gonna get so much out of a SIII especially a 15w, it's a practice amp. What kind of metal do you prefer to play?

anything from slayer to as blood runs black
Quote by carrion24
anything from slayer to as blood runs black

Well, now we need to know your budget.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by carrion24
i probly only wanna spend as much as $250

Then you need to put that 250 aside, and start saving up. Not trying to be mean, simply being straight with you. You're not gonna get a great metal sound for 250 unless you find one HELLUVA deal on a used amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
The way you play the guitar also helps define the sound you get, like palm muting or other techniques.
Probably like $700USD, assuming you live in America, you can get a 5150 for that, used of course. It seems to be most suggested around UG. Of course you should go out and try some amps, see what you like best then try and snag it up used, or new if the price is right.
Quote by pwrmax
The way you play the guitar also helps define the sound you get, like palm muting or other techniques.

i agree...........also try drop tunings.
Quote by carrion24
ok how much do you think that i need and what kind do u reccomend

Well, if you're on a reaaally tight budget, I've heard good things about the Vox Valvetronix series:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615

They're like your Spider III but better. Built in effects, but these are "hybrid" style.

If you're gonna save up some more, you could probably try a Peavey ValveKing and swap the tubes and speaker out for more metal tone. Then put an OD pedal in front of it for more of a crushing tone, if that's what you're after.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Then you need to put that 250 aside, and start saving up. Not trying to be mean, simply being straight with you. You're not gonna get a great metal sound for 250 unless you find one HELLUVA deal on a used amp.

I would have to agree.....Your spider should do for now and I've played the model you have and it's a pretty nice guitar for the price. If you save up for a nicer amp you'll get a nice tone and probably won't have to worry about an amp for a while....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by digger35
Probably like $700USD, assuming you live in America, you can get a 5150 for that, used of course. It seems to be most suggested around UG. Of course you should go out and try some amps, see what you like best then try and snag it up used, or new if the price is right.

Yeah, if you want to save up a bit more, a 5150 is definitely a good option for you as well, but I get the feeling you need to keep the budget low...call it a hunch.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Well, if you're on a reaaally tight budget, I've heard good things about the Vox Valvetronix series:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615

They're like your Spider III but better. Built in effects, but these are "hybrid" style.

If you're gonna save up some more, you could probably try a Peavey ValveKing and swap the tubes and speaker out for more metal tone. Then put an OD pedal in front of it for more of a crushing tone, if that's what you're after.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

what do you mean swap out the tubes and speakers do they sell different speakers for metal
Quote by carrion24
what do you mean swap out the tubes and speakers do they sell different speakers for metal

Basically, the ValveKing is a "budget tube amp." The stock speakers and tubes are quite generic and blah. And while they don't sell speakers specifically for metal, they do make speakers that are better suited for metal than the stock one in the ValveKing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by carrion24

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but basically you can get speakers more suited to genres.

Basically, they'll accentuate different frequencies of the sound. For example, you've got an Eminence Swap Thang, which heavily accentuates the bass, and it's good for a Stevie Ray Vaughan bluesy tone. Then you have Celestion Vintage 30s that have a very strong accentuation on the mids, meaning you can scoop your mids (I do not condone this practice ) and get a metal type of sound.

Of course there are plenty of speakers out there. Personally, if you want to swap speakers and keep the cost low, I would suggest a Warehouse Speaker Veteran 30. It's basically a Vintage 30 with some improvements.

But, like I said before, I am definitely far from an expert. One of the more knowledgeable guys can fix up my post for you, this is just a guideline
Last edited by digger35 at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by SenorSmiley
I have a dobro. very metal sounding.

NOT FUNNY.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
you know. if you dont need to get louder then just get a line6 uber metal pedal. it sounds awesome if you just want a good metal tone. seriously. my little amp can do it and its worse than yours! only 70$ too.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Quote by Dimefan69
you know. if you dont need to get louder then just get a line6 uber metal pedal. it sounds awesome if you just want a good metal tone. seriously. my little amp can do it and its worse than yours! only 70$ too.

In front of the uber-sterile distortion of a Spider III? Ick and ew to the Nth degree.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
In front of the uber-sterile distortion of a Spider III? Ick and ew to the Nth degree.

then keep the amp on clean! i never have my amps ****ty distortion on. its sounds great.
Quote by Dimefan69
then keep the amp on clean! i never have my amps ****ty distortion on. its sounds great.

Then what's the point of having a modeling amp? He could trade in and get a regular practice amp if he's just gonna keep the damn thing on clean.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Then what's the point of having a modeling amp? He could trade in and get a regular practice amp if he's just gonna keep the damn thing on clean.

i guess that makes sense. still. if he cant spend much amd doesnt like his amp OD.
Quote by Dimefan69
i guess that makes sense. still. if he cant spend much amd doesnt like his amp OD.

I agree that he could do your suggestion, but honestly, if he's looking to upgrade his sound, he's gonna have to step it up a bit. Your suggestion is pretty much just a lateral move, considering that the Line 6 Uber Metal is probably the same basic distortion circuitry wired in to the SIII in the first place.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
@the uber metal suggestion: If you recommend that, he might as well get an Epi VJ or Super Champ or something and run the pedal in front of that. Srsly, that would not be an upgrade in the slightest, heck it would be a sidegrade.
well sorry! it worked for me. it sounds great! just an idea for an upcoming guitarist!
you could ask around and see how much you can get for you're current amp, sell it and combine that money with your $250 and maybe find a good used amp.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
playin heavy music is more to do with How you Play.........than how much you pay.
Quote by mmjohn
playin heavy music is more to do with How you Play.........than how much you pay.

Hence my nice little rhyming custom status...

However, there's only so much how you play will get you if you have an amp that literally sucks tone out of your guitar.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Dimefan69
well sorry! it worked for me. it sounds great! just an idea for an upcoming guitarist!

Lol sorry bout that, didn't mean to sound snippy.
Quote by BaffAttack
Hence my nice little rhyming custom status...

However, there's only so much how you play will get you if you have an amp that literally sucks tone out of your guitar.

you don't need a spend 700 bucks to play CHUNK..........i can play chunk on my daughters vox da-5.
Quote by digger35
Lol sorry bout that, didn't mean to sound snippy.

I, too, did not mean to come off as snippy, since both digger and I had the same basic thought, that it was a lateral move/sidegrade to buy an Uber Metal. Not trying to get snippy at all, if he's really budgeted I guess it would be a viable option. I think a better option would be using a different distortion in front of the SIII's clean to blues amp modeling channels.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by mmjohn
you don't need a spend 700 bucks to play CHUNK..........i can play chunk on my daughters vox da-5.

And I can play some chunk on an acoustic...but it doesn't quite sound the same does it?

Don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying, and I do agree with you to an extent, but there's only so much you can get out of style of playing alone, you know?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
And I can play some chunk on an acoustic...but it doesn't quite sound the same does it?

Don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying, and I do agree with you to an extent, but there's only so much you can get out of style of playing alone, you know?

agree'd
Check used, I got a Randall RG50TC for $300, it can get the slayer sound pretty well
Just save for a Valveking. Put a tube screamer or something in front of it if you need more out of it.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

How long have you been playing?
I know it sounds like a silly question, but virtually every guitar player I've ever met (including myself) has thought they've wanted a certain sound but found that they really wanted another one more, so I'd say the best advice I can give you is to save your money (you have to have enough to break out of the solid state market -- regardless of what kind of amp you want, you're almost always going to want to buy tube -- and that's around $500) and take it all in.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Page 1 of 2