Page 1 of 3
There okay. I played one at my music store, and i hate the way they feel, to lite, and if you try and sit with them your screwed. I dont see why everyone likes them, cause slash plays them? There overrated.

Maybe the old ones are better...
Quote by vmanoman
damn....thats nuts. 2 nuts in fact. anyway, all that happened to me was i fell up a flight of stairs....like not up a few steps, but tripped at the bottom and fell up the entire flight.....
i wouldn't know Slash from Adam but I like Les Pauls. I have 2 Standards and also an old Junior.

The new one I have is a black 91 and it is way different from my old one.

The new Gibsons are pretty bad so maybe if you played an old one you would like it.

I always realize how good they are when I'm recording. That's when you see why they cost more.
Quote by blink18244
There okay. I played one at my music store, and i hate the way they feel, to lite, and if you try and sit with them your screwed. I dont see why everyone likes them, cause slash plays them? There overrated.

I assume you mean "too light"?
If you found a Les Paul 'too light', then chances are you were playing a fake.

I love mine. I love the look, beefy tone, weight, amount of sustain and general playability of mine and it's not even a very good one.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
what kind of guitar do u use if you think there to light? les pauls are one of the heaviest guitars out there!
Quote by blink18244
to lite

not true. my brother plays an epi les paul custom and it is probably the heaviest guitar i have ever used. im sure some are very lite though
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
Quote by blink18244
There They're okay. I played one at my music store, and i hate the way they feel, too lite light, and if you try and sit with them your you're screwed. I don't see why everyone likes them, is it because sSlash plays them? There They're overrated.

*fixed*

You're welcome!

Quote by ldzppln81
not true. my brother plays an epi les paul custom and it is probably the heaviest guitar i have ever used. im sure some are very lite though

'I dont know but i thought it was one of the lightest in the store. my bad
Quote by vmanoman
damn....thats nuts. 2 nuts in fact. anyway, all that happened to me was i fell up a flight of stairs....like not up a few steps, but tripped at the bottom and fell up the entire flight.....
Well, Gibson HAS been chambering their guitars recently, so that may explain the lightness.

I dont see why you hate them, but I suppose you have the right to be wrong.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

'les paul invented the electric guitar
Quote by vmanoman
ive never felt a light les paul. I dont see whats not to like. the sustain is unbelievable, they look beautiful and the tone is second to none. slash shouldnt even enter the equation.
Yeah if you thought that it was light then it was prolly a fake. In fact, the only thing I don't like about my les paul is its almost too heavy for me. But I love the tone of the guitar, it even makes my crappy amp sound better lol.
I wouldn't say I hate them, but I honestly don't go gonzo over them like some do. Just not my kind of guitar, to be honest.

Though, if I had lots of disposable income, I'd probably own one simply to have one...but I'm weird like that. It wouldn't be my main guitar more than likely.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I have an Epiphone Les Paul and i like it because of great tone with distortion and the quality is great. Though i've nver played a gibson so i cant talk about that.
i play a fender mim strat.but my next guitar will be a les paul.............I love guitar's.......not brands!
i would not judge a guitar by playing it in a shop. I have a couple les pauls and as i said, until you record tracks with one on decent recording gear it's easy to miss what they can do. when you're tracking you understand what the big deal is.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
He was probably playing a chambered one people.... which I do agree are freakishly light.

I haven't picked one up to noodle around with (which I tend to do at my local GC's just to get a feel for any model that comes in) but doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the Les Paul? Doesn't that suck the tone right out of it?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by SenorSmiley
i would not judge a guitar by playing it in a shop. I have a couple les pauls and as i said, until you record tracks with one on decent recording gear it's easy to miss what they can do. when you're tracking you understand what the big deal is.

Yeah I make sure that when I'm recording I use my Les Paul because really is quite a difference when your recording.
Quote by BaffAttack
I haven't picked one up to noodle around with (which I tend to do at my local GC's just to get a feel for any model that comes in) but doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the Les Paul? Doesn't that suck the tone right out of it?

I agree. Some people do like the chambering though. Gibson is offering a seperate model with the old weight relief pattern (drilling holes in the body), but you still would have to go Custom Shop or with a different brand to get a real solid body Les Paul.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
I agree. Some people do like the chambering though. Gibson is offering a seperate model with the old weight relief pattern (drilling holes in the body), but you still would have to go Custom Shop or with a different brand to get a real solid body Les Paul.

I can understand lightening the load, I have a bad back. But jeez, they make lumbar support straps now. Why get a Les Paul if you're not getting that solid mahagony tone?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Whole Lotta Led

Or go with the MIJ Burny, Edwards, Orville, Greco, Tokai and Epiphone (forJapan market) ... old school weight - heavy.

they are the Lincolns of guitars....big and bulky.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by CephalidHunter
they are the Lincolns of guitars....big and bulky.

You're only saying that because Slash wears a top hat...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
i like fenders and gibsons. if you only play one thing you're limiting yourself. i have guitars that play horrible but sound great so i deal with that to get a tone that fits with the song.

something may sound really thin and horrible (or too fat) on its own but when you're building a track it may be just what you need.
Quote by guitar1212god
WTF U SAY U PLAYED OOONE OOONCE AND THEN YOU CALL THEM BAD. by the way i think u meant "light"

Calm down. Caps lock, no matter how much you have been told it is, is NOT cruise control for cool.

I don't hate Les Pauls, but I haven't played enough to really be able to tell, plus some could be completely different than others.
Quote by guitar1212god
WTF U SAY U PLAYED OOONE OOONCE AND THEN YOU CALL THEM BAD. by the way i think u meant "light"

OFMGZZNGOUDSBNIGFUZBF I KNO HE IZ SUCHA A NUBBBBBBB LES PZULZZ ARARE TJ BJE BESSSST

Calm down dude, you can't make a full judgment on a guitar by playing it once, but you can get a feel for a guitar within the first few minutes of playing them.
Too light? What do you usually play, a ****ing anvil? LPs are ****ing hefty.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
I like the way they look. Man, I shouldve tried one whan i was at sam ash the other time.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
The 91 I have is not heavy at all. It's not as light as some of the chambered ones but it's not as heavy as my old one either.

It's lighter then some late 70's Fender boat anchors I've played.
they're heavy cuz of the mahogany, which is the best sounding IMO, in addition to their big bulky shape. i like them, but i probably wouldn't buy one myself. not quite my style.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
I love the neck and the tone, I just hate the weight. It's uncomfortable to me when sitting down, and they're too expensive for me. I'd rather have an SG when it comes to Gibsons/Epis.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I have two Gibson Les Pauls and two Gibson SGs. They sound completely different and I like them both for different reasons.

A Gibson LP was my first real guitar when I was a kid, so I have been playing them for a while and the weight has never bothered me.
I like LPs but I like my spalted maple tele better, it can play anything.
David St. Hubbins: Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.
- Spinal Tap
Why can't he dislike them?

He said he didn't and stated his reasons. You don't like 'em, play what you like homes.

They're GUITARS. Look it up in that webster's thingie.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Last edited by Dav23 at Jun 13, 2008,
Page 1 of 3