Page 1 of 2
so for $150 i cna either get an Ibanez GRX20 or a squier

the Ibanez has 2 hums and the squier can have either 3 single coils or a hum in the bridge. Also the Ibanez is basswood, the squier alder.

so which one would you recommend for me to get?
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
I've played both. I liked the Ibanez better. There was a lot of hum coming from the squier.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Ibanez ftw. My Squier crapped out on my more times than i can count, when i still had it that is. I've had this dicontinued RG model for about 3-4 years and it hasn't done so yet.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
I prefer alder over basswood but Ibanez over Squier ... that would be a dilemma for me.
Music style?

Doesnt matter too much, Ibanez.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
The ibanez GRX20 is made of alder. I have one and when i tried it at the store they told me it was alder; besides i researched when i came home with it.

Get the ibanez. It plays better IMO.
i have came to the conclusion that alder is usually better, but even so, higher end ibanez and schecter use basswood.

i just wanted to make sure you all agreed. i am really leaning toward the ibanez too.
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

I'd go for the Squier if you're planning on changing the pickups. I never really liked Ibanez though.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
It's not really whether the woods are "better" than the other. It's really all preference. I prefer basswood over anything and after that mahogany.
I say get the ibanez. You wont regret it.
Quote by Skar578
i have came to the conclusion that alder is usually better, but even so, higher end ibanez and schecter use basswood.

i just wanted to make sure you all agreed. i am really leaning toward the ibanez too.

pretty much all ibanez except begginer ones maybe are basswood. and schecters mostly use mahogany except their omens, damiens, etc.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
well, those names are almost always attached to good reviews and what not. So ill ahve to play both next time, ok. but i think ill get the ibanesz. ill keep you all updated. and of course, more opinions help.
Guitars:
Gibson SGJ 2014

good one, Ibanez
Quote by vmanoman
damn....thats nuts. 2 nuts in fact. anyway, all that happened to me was i fell up a flight of stairs....like not up a few steps, but tripped at the bottom and fell up the entire flight.....
Commonly, the Ibanez GRX has a pressed wood body, like the low-end Squier's models.

I preffer the Ibanez, just for the best construction.
in all seriousness TAKE THE SQUIER. Low end ibanez guitars and basses suck. The tone you get out of them is sub-sub par and there's not much you can do to make it sound good. Squiers are actually good instruments for the price that you pay. save yourself the head and earache and get the squier. And for all of you about to hit the flame button, keep in midn that i said the lower end ibanez models. I own an ibanez guitar and it's great but it wasn't one of those budget models. With the squier i think the worst issue you'll have would be a little fret buzz. With the ibanez you'll have about the same but 1) the tone will be lifeless 2) the guitar will start to fall apart after 5 months. I speak from experience, the cable jack of mine came off after a month, intonation was shot within the same time, tuners started to loosen, it sucked.
Last edited by Kwesi at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by freshtunes
I've played both. I liked the Ibanez better. There was a lot of hum coming from the squier.

*facepalm*

thats cuz it has single coils. id take the ibanez btw
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Kwesi
in all seriousness TAKE THE SQUIER. Low end ibanez guitars and basses suck. The tone you get out of them is sub-sub par and there's not much you can do to make it sound good. Squiers are actually good instruments for the price that you pay. save yourself the head and earache and get the squier. And for all of you about to hit the flame button, keep in midn that i said the lower end ibanez models. I own an ibanez guitar and it's great but it wasn't one of those budget models. With the squier i think the worst issue you'll have would be a little fret buzz. With the ibanez you'll have about the same but 1) the tone will be lifeless 2) the guitar will start to fall apart after 5 months. I speak from experience, the cable jack of mine came off after a month, intonation was shot within the same time, tuners started to loosen, it sucked.

Speaking from experience, I would say you're crazy. Low end Ibanez over Squier any day especially when we're talking about how soon they'll fall apart.
Guitars:
Carvin DC145
Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Ibanez RGT42FXQM with Dimarzio Evo 2 and PAF Joe
Amp:
Carvin V3 2x12 combo with JJ 6L6GC tubes

Bass:
Ibanez SR300IPT
Amp:
Carvin BX600 2x10 half stack
I'd prefer the squier, but that's just me. Ibanez's low-end guitars have very poor construction and often have many problems.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by crog
I'd say the Ibanez, just because its a Ibanez

That's like getting a MG just cause it's a Marshall!

But still, get the Ibanez. It's better.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Skar578
so for $150 i cna either get an Ibanez GRX20 or a squier

the Ibanez has 2 hums and the squier can have either 3 single coils or a hum in the bridge. Also the Ibanez is basswood, the squier alder.

so which one would you recommend for me to get?

Assuming you have a decent tube amp, you'll probably end up upgrading the PUs on the Ibanez immediately. The Squier's PUs, while not outstanding, are not horrible, either.

The main advantage of the Ibanez is that in 3 months, or even 3 weeks (since you're in the UG), you'll believe that you can shred!!!

hey man that same ibanez way my first guitar, i loved it
i still use it when i use weird tunings, that guitar has TREMENDOUS value
i think its the best guitar you can get for under $200

there is a pic of it in my profile
i will gladly take more pics on request, and maybe even do some audio samps
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
My friend has that Ibanez but in the 3 pickup config and it feels pretty cheap and goes out of tune like crazy. Go with the squier, and listen to my opinion because I have played them both . Or try either for yourself and decide.
As much as I hate Ibanez, Id say go the Ibanez.

Squiers are average at best.
Tough call here. I love Fender but some of those Affinity squiers are mediocre at best although I have played some the Standards and the Vintage Modified ones and they were nice and could be made better with mods.I don't like Ibenez's super thin necks, they really cramp my hands up. But I really like the Artcore semihollow series. So what I would do is go to Guitar Center and play every guitar that interests you, and get the one that feels right.
Rudeboy out!
Save $50 more and get an LP junior.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
LOL..... Ibanez VS Squier... Thats a hard desicion...

Hmmm....

Ibanez Anyday.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
ibanez all the way mate, all the low end squires ive played are **** house. however low end ibanez guitars still play really great, i use my GRG170 all the time
Go for the Ibanez
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Page 1 of 2