Do I? I mean I've been playing for 4 years, and I've been improvising since I played.

If I do, why? Can't I just make solos out of my head?
they help in your understanding of what to do next and would make it easier to not hit wrong notes.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
If you'v been improving, you probably know the scales, just not their names.
well you'd get a hell of a lot better if you did.

are you talking modes or what scales?
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
depends on how good your improvs are.

Scales maybe help a little........ or maybe a lot..... or maybe solos are based off scales sometimes.......

Yes. They help.
Quote by St.Loony
Girls are complicated - Just turn gay and don't bother.

Quote by MightyAl
OK, so now, for Christmas, I'd like the ability to have an erection again.

Quote by smartguyreviews
one time i got up in the middle of the night to take a shit... and the toilet seat was warm....
Im not the hugest believer in theory, but no one can deny the scales are really helpful to know
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
if ur not a big music theory guy, then scales arent as important to you.

but lots of players don't kno squat bout music, but kno plenty scales
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
Yup.

If you want to be a good lead guitarist, or hell, even a good rhythm guitarist its a must know thing.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

No. But they will help you a lot. Start with the pentatonic minor.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Depends on how your instincts are when your playing. I only know the pentatonic and major and I don't use them. Lately i just know what note should come next depending on how i want it to sound right off the bat.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Do you have any idea how easy it is to learn the movable Major, minor, and harmonic minor scales?

Do it. Twill help your song writing too.
If you don't know your scales and you're improvising, chances are you sound like ****. You really should know them. You don't really need to know the names just aslong as you know where to use em.
They help, but you don't have to know them. It will help a lot with improvising. And, Chuck Schuldiner from Death didn't now any scales, but he was an amazing guitarist. He could play lead well and his songs were great.