I mean... would the guitar just snap in half from the pressure? I was just looking at guitar string gauges and now I'm curious. How thick is too thick?
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
I wouldn't try it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
What kind of guitar do you have?

There was some band back in the mid 90's that did a thing like this. It was a guitar player and drummer but I can't remember their name.

If you have a cheapo guitar you'll ruin your neck. I would be hesitant to do this eve with a Gibson with a mahogany neck.

Plus you'll have to modify your bridge to make the strings fit and also your nut and maybe even your tuning pegs.
well, have you ever sen a bass? the strings are MUCH thicker then on a guitar. also the bass strings are longer. even if you cut the strings down, it wont intonate right. and the neck cannot handle the pressure of the strings enough to make sound. not to mention that the pickups would go out of wack by it and they strings could never fit into the bridge.

in short: its easier to divide by zero and get a rational number.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
Presidents of the United States of America, anyone?

You'd need a massive truss rod adjustment, and you'd probably need to mess with the nut and bridge, but it could work.
I think the bridge would come off. Especially if it's like a cheap tremolo or something.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
no im not talking about presidents of the united states. there was a band of two guys way before them and the guy made a weird bass/guitar thing.
bro just buy a 6-string bass

because that what it comes down too eventually if u put it like that
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
Oh, I didn't say I was going to, no, I'm fine with my Super Slinkys. I just wanted to know what would happen. So apparently Presidents of the United States of America have done this? I'm going to go look this stuff up.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Quote by SenorSmiley

There was some band back in the mid 90's that did a thing like this. It was a guitar player and drummer but I can't remember their name.

Death From Above?
maybe, although that doesn't ring a bell. oh well, ill probably never remember. i recall reading an article in musician magazine
i did it once cus i snaped a string and needed one for practice and didnt have any laying around. seeing as i tuned to b standard i just took the g string from a bass and put it on my el cheapo epiphone sg. i didnt care if it ****ed it up or not, but it did work. i dont recomend it though.
Your dumb.

Bass strings wouldn't even fit through the string space openings on the bridge, much less the tuning pegs.
i dunno... i dont think itll snap your guitar, i mean A. the strings on a bass are loose, but B. the scale length of a guitar is like significantly shorter so to tune those bass strings on a guitar like a bass itll be even less tension. it probably will sound terrible though, the pickups wont be right and im guessing itll rattle and buzz to no end.
and yea, youd need to fit your bridge and saddle and likely tuning pegs for it.
no, just.... no
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
If your guitar is cheap dont do it but if your guitar is really really really expensive you
shouldnt have a problem at all!

-do not listen to me lol-
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Quote by SenorSmiley

If you have a cheapo guitar you'll ruin your neck. I would be hesitant to do this eve with a Gibson with a mahogany neck.

Plus you'll have to modify your bridge to make the strings fit and also your nut and maybe even your tuning pegs.

The band you're thinking of is Local H. They did the song 'Born To Be Down', but I think the guitarist/vocalist just managed to install a bass pup into the neck position of his guitar and set the pickup designation to the middle configuration, so he used both the bass pup and the guitar pup at the same time. I say think because I can't say for certain if I read this in an official interview or if I picked it up on Wikipedia or something.

I know that Presidents of the United States did something in this vein by taking the bottom two strings from a bass and fitting them into the guitar and then the top three strings from a guitar and fitting them on to a bass, or something of that sort. It sounds gimmicky, but all the same, hey, way to buck the norm, I suppose.
Whit abound in this signature
Quote by Skar578
also the bass strings are longer. even if you cut the strings down, it wont intonate right.

Wrong, string length has nothing to do with intonation, it's the scale length of the guitar itself that affects the intonation of an instrument.

If your truss rod could handle it and you somehow managed to fit the strings on then you would have some beastly tone.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
I got some Zakk Wyld Boomers on mine. I tink the top string is .60 i think and i know the largest gauge i can find for a guitar is .72
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by jake_1234
If your guitar is cheap dont do it but if your guitar is really really really expensive you
shouldnt have a problem at all!

-do not listen to me lol-

Hahah Its depend how much tears he has saved up until now
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I suppose a thin bass string could be relevant to a thick guitar string.
But otherwise, although you've said you were only curious, I wouldn't unless you're planning on doing some serious work on the guitar.