Hi, I'm new to the forums. I've been lurking around for a awhile and found it to be a real help in getting me started. I'm trying to pick up the gear I want to get as my first guitar/amp; so far I've settled on the Epiphone Les Paul Special 2. I'm just stuck on what kind of amp would fit my needs.

I've been debating over the Roland Microcube and the Roland 30x. Both are very reputable, but I'm just scared that if I buy the microcube I might end up wanting something with more size and power out of the speakers. The 30x is about double in price though. I'm looking for something for bedroom/casual play. The portability of the micro really isn't a huge factor to me, I was just attracted by the features the mcirocube has at a relatively small price. What do you guys think? Is the microcube sufficient to use as an everyday amp?

Thanks for your help!
if youve only got the money for the special 2 paul itll do ya jus fine i like mine, as for the amp the microcube will be jus fine for bedroom practice and MAYBE jammin with another guitar friend
Get an Ibanez Artcore AM-73B, and a peavy backstage ll to go with it. total price is 485
Quote by vmanoman
damn....thats nuts. 2 nuts in fact. anyway, all that happened to me was i fell up a flight of stairs....like not up a few steps, but tripped at the bottom and fell up the entire flight.....
what's your style? are you sure about the epi les paul special II?
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Mostly into rock/metal genres but I'm pretty open. I figured the Epiphone would be a good starter guitar. I do have a acoustic guitar in the meantime, albeit a bit old and crappy. Maybe if I can bear with it while I learn the basics, I can save up for something better. Not sure what I would be looking for though.
Check out Agile's AL series guitars. They are LP copies, and very good ones. I have 2 and I think they're great. rondomusic.com

Another one to check out may be the Ibanez RG321MH.
I'd get a Microcube. You're going to want something better than the Microcube/30x later on anyway. I wouldn't get the Epiphone Les Paul Special II though.

I'd go with what vanzant38 recommended.
cant go wrong the cube, however please dont shortchange yourself with the epi special 2

ibanez art100's are just as cheap and far superior guitar

hamer standards are also very cheap, play great, and have decent pickups

and agiles have a great rep
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
first guitar get cheap stuff since you will probably upgrade aain in 6 months

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by Nagashiro
first guitar get cheap stuff since you will probably upgrade aain in 6 months

bullsh*t. i've been playing the same guitar since i started and it still suits my needs. if he gets a decent one it will save him money in the long run.
Get the cube, you would be surprised at some of the power smaller amps can have. I know I was debating whether or not to get my Marshall MG 15DFX, thinking it might be too small and I might occasionaly want more power when no one was in the house. I wound up getting it anyway, I hardly ever put it past 6 out of 10 on volume even when I want it loud. Don't misjudge the little ones =).
yea i forgot about agiles u should check them out if u like the way les pauls feel
I"ve played a Les paul Special 2 and it felt really nice...but I har they suck on the long run. I have a Crate FW15R. It sounds amazing on clean, and also has nice distortion, and it was quite cheap.
Quote by killatm
I"ve played a Les paul Special 2 and it felt really nice...but I har they suck on the long run. I have a Crate FW15R. It sounds amazing on clean, and also has nice distortion, and it was quite cheap.

i would pass on that particular Crate. he would be better off to get the small 5 watt V series from crate that is all tube.
Hey thanks for the replies everyone!

I've been eyeing the Ibanez RG2EX1 lately. I figured that if I'm gonna spend 500+ on a guitar, amp and all the other stuff, I might as well not cut myself short on the guitar. It's about double in price compared to the LP Special 2, but I've been doing a lot of research and it seems to cater to my taste on music in its sound (mainly rock, metal) and has gotten a pretty good rep overall. What do you think?
Quote by zearo
Hey thanks for the replies everyone!

I've been eyeing the Ibanez RG2EX1 lately. I figured that if I'm gonna spend 500+ on a guitar, amp and all the other stuff, I might as well not cut myself short on the guitar. It's about double in price compared to the LP Special 2, but I've been doing a lot of research and it seems to cater to my taste on music in its sound (mainly rock, metal) and has gotten a pretty good rep overall. What do you think?

that is a pretty good guitar. it should last you for a couple of years at least before you'll want to upgrade. what did you decide for the amp?
Decided to go with the Microcube. I took a look at the DA5 which I guess is Vox's version of it, but I think the Microcube has a better sound for metal, at least that's what the forums/youtube have shoown me.
Quote by Adv
I'd get a Microcube. You're going to want something better than the Microcube/30x later on anyway. I wouldn't get the Epiphone Les Paul Special II though.

I'd go with what vanzant38 recommended.

also agreed (about the ibanez vanzant recommended- i haven't tried agiles). if you want more versatility, maybe a yamaha pacifica 112.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
do you have a link to the rg2ex1?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you have a link to the rg2ex1?

It's a basswood RG321 with EMG Designed pickups and different paintjob + binding.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
It's a basswood RG321 with EMG Designed pickups and different paintjob + binding.

Pretty much, yeah.

Also, whats the difference between the RG2EX1 and the RG2EX2? They look exactly the same...
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
I have the Cube 30X which I use for bedroom praticse its fine because of the "Power Squeeze" Which means it keeps the volume level down without losing Tone I love the amp through my Fender MIM Stratocaster. Good Luck in finding your amp man and rock on!
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by aznrockerdude

oh ok. just wanted to make sure it didn't have an edge III to be honest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?