Posted in 7 string thread but I'll post in its own thread...why not?

I'm getting a use RG1527 in a few days as a result of GAS and the pickup combination is X2N in the bridge, and Evolution 7 in the neck. I know Evo7 usually goes in the bridge...so now that I think about it, it's pretty weird.

I have a JEM7VWH so if Evo7 is basically the 7 string version of the Evo on the JEM, I have a clear idea of what I'm getting.
On the Symphony X site, it says Michael Romeo uses the X2N and I love his tone so X2N should be right for me....

How would you rate this pickup combo though? It's two bridge pickups and I'm not sure how well that would work out. I do love the creamy sound of the neck pickup but I'm looking to get more of a chunky low end riffing.

I'm planning to play a lot of John Petrucci's stuff (Acid Rain for sure!!!), Meshuggah for sure, some Vai and just overall heavier stuff. The extent of the clean tone would be The Audience is Listening; most of it will be heavy B string riffage.

Is this right for me?
Quote by ZylitoL
Posted in 7 string thread but I'll post in its own thread...why not?

I'm getting a use RG1527 in a few days as a result of GAS and the pickup combination is X2N in the bridge, and Evolution 7 in the neck. I know Evo7 usually goes in the bridge...so now that I think about it, it's pretty weird.

I have a JEM7VWH so if Evo7 is basically the 7 string version of the Evo on the JEM, I have a clear idea of what I'm getting.
On the Symphony X site, it says Michael Romeo uses the X2N and I love his tone so X2N should be right for me....

How would you rate this pickup combo though? It's two bridge pickups and I'm not sure how well that would work out. I do love the creamy sound of the neck pickup but I'm looking to get more of a chunky low end riffing.

I'm planning to play a lot of John Petrucci's stuff (Acid Rain for sure!!!), Meshuggah for sure, some Vai and just overall heavier stuff. The extent of the clean tone would be The Audience is Listening; most of it will be heavy B string riffage.

Is this right for me?

First I have to say, you have a great taste in music. Second, I've read that the EVO7 is has a bit more bite/ gain. They don't soudn the same, but similar to an extent.

Also, the fact that your guitar is basswood and your Jem is alder will change things.

Aside from that, it will still sound great.
Nice!

Evo7 has a bridge and a neck version out (from what the guy said in the 7string thread) so I'm sure the neck version...went in the neck =)

I can't wait to get this. Thanks for your help