I know Meshuggah and other bands like them (Periphery, TesseracT, check 'em out if you dig Meshuggah) uses Line 6 modeling gear exclusively but is there anyway i can get that same crushing distortion without having to get a POD-something or other? I have a EHX Metal Muff, if i were to get a compression pedal (which i plan to get anyway) could i create a similar sound? I'd rather not spend $300+ on a multi-fx pedal if i'm only gonna use the distortion and the compression. Plus i'm not to keen on the Line 6 stuff not because i believe that it's low quality, but because i prefer to create my sound rather that use some preset, it's easier to tweak things when you know exactly how the tone was created. Anywho, any ideas on how to get a sound like that?
Last edited by Kwesi at Jun 14, 2008,
I have to disagree on the line 6 stuff being low quality, the only thing I've played that I truly hated with Line 6 on it was anything in the Spider Series, but their high end stuff? It's pretty awesome IMO. Would I use it? No, because I really like Marshall/Bugera/Krank heads and cabs (yes, Krank stuff is over priced, but it's pretty nice IMO).

But if you want a sound like that... Hmm... I'd just try to go to guitar center and try out a few distortion pedals, but really the bigger pedals they have that I've tried let you go WAY beyond presets, they're a great deal IMO.

But that's all just my .02
Quote by edusty2010
I have to disagree on the line 6 stuff being low quality, the only thing I've played that I truly hated with Line 6 on it was anything in the Spider Series, but their high end stuff? It's pretty awesome IMO. Would I use it? No, because I really like Marshall/Bugera/Krank heads and cabs (yes, Krank stuff is over priced, but it's pretty nice IMO).

But if you want a sound like that... Hmm... I'd just try to go to guitar center and try out a few distortion pedals, but really the bigger pedals they have that I've tried let you go WAY beyond presets, they're a great deal IMO.

Sorry, i meant to say that i don't believe that Line6 stuff is low quality.
Ah, well that would explain it. I agree then, the only thing you really need to watch out for from Line 6 is the spider amps, everything else seems to be right up there in the "bang for your buck" category.

But my suggestions still stands, try out distortion pedals out the ass. And a compression pedal may help it a bit too.
Quote by Kwesi
any help.

iv'e got a mxr super compressor for sale with power suppy for $60.00 if that would help ya out??
Quote by edusty2010

LOL @ putting bugera in with stuff like marshall and krank.
but seriously, line 6 is verrrryyyy highly overpriced. especially their 2000 dollar P.O.S. heads (like the flextone etc.)

to threadstarter: what amp are you using? is the biggest concern on the tone you want to achieve
If your talking about the mechanical riffing sound they have, doesn't it come from their noise gate clamping down like bam ..... bam bam?
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Quote by Baboom
If your talking about the mechanical riffing sound they have, doesn't it come from their noise gate clamping down like bam ..... bam bam?

nah i'm almost sure that their tone comes from distortion and some compression i just want some conformation.
Quote by peever
LOL @ putting bugera in with stuff like marshall and krank.
but seriously, line 6 is verrrryyyy highly overpriced. especially their 2000 dollar P.O.S. heads (like the flextone etc.)

Hey they're the only high-gain amps in my price range I mean I don't LOVE the things ( I really want a 1959 marshall head - the one without a master volume) but I can't afford more expensive amps . Eh well. To each his own right?
Make sure you are playing an 8 string or any attempt to get Meshuggah sound will be futile.
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

not completely but it does affect their tone.

Make sure you are playing an 8 string or any attempt to get Meshuggah sound will be futile.

uh...no. just no.

Line 6 products are good if you know how to use them. the only low quality Line 6 products are the Spider series. the rest like the Toneports, PODS, Flextone's, etc. are nice. if you're chasing after Meshuggah's tone and you think Line 6 is ****, why would you like the tone in the first place?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Last edited by ugmung at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by ugmung

uh...no. just no.

Uh yeah, actually. A lot of their sound is affected not only by their amps, but by the fact that they're using 8 string guitars.
Stromberg Montreux
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Quote by nick11link
Uh yeah, actually. A lot of their sound is affected not only by their amps, but by the fact that they're using 8 string guitars.

you can achieve that from detuning a 7 string with the right string gauges as well. Earlier Meshuggah used 6 strings i think.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
In obZen they use 8 strings.
Stromberg Montreux
Death By Audio Fuzz War

true. i think they used them a little bit in Nothing. but they mainly use 7's. so if he has a 7 he should be fine.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Yeah. If he does feel the need to buy an eight-string, here is a good place to look.
Stromberg Montreux
Death By Audio Fuzz War

have you seen their 10 strings?
Stromberg Montreux
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Quote by RandyRhoads2
Wow Meshuggah uses Line 6? No wonder they sound like ****.

i should've seen this coming at some point but i still can't really believe it :p
Quote by nick11link

They only got their 8 strings around the time they made the Nothing album and they still use 7's. The too bands i mentioned in my opening statement both use 7'a (and even 6's) as well.
Quote by RandyRhoads2
Wow Meshuggah uses Line 6? No wonder they sound like ****.

Because all Line 6 amps are completely terrible...

The Vetta is an amazing amp, even if Mesuggah's tone is questionable at times.
Quote by nick11link
have you seen their 10 strings?

I was wondering about that 10-string, what extra notes are there?

I mean, is there a string below the low F# (which I assume is the eight string) and a high A? pure insanity

And the Vetta is made of awesomeness. Silence
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
I was wondering about that 10-string, what extra notes are there?

I mean, is there a string below the low F# (which I assume is the eight string) and a high A? pure insanity

And the Vetta is made of awesomeness. Silence

i don't feel like figuring it out. i don't think i would want a high A, that would be a little weird, maybe Jeff Loomis could use something like that though. lol. but i'm pretty sure they just add more bass strings. even though it would be weird to have 7 bass strings and only 3 treble strings. it would be like playing bass and guitar at the same time. or maybe they start doubling up like for 12 strings, idk.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo