Page 1 of 2
I want a small tube amp to jst play around on, and get the feel and response of a tube. I was thinking something like a 5W, with bright punchy cleans, and mellow mid OD. And something under $300.

I was thinking the Fender Champ, Crate V-series, or Super Champ.

What would y'all recommend?
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
Maybe a epi valve or a blackheart.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Epi VJ or BH Little Giant

I don't see why you can't just look back on your past threads to see recommendations.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Fender Champion 600 is pretty nice too. also, what they said ^
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
If you go to muscians friend, go to tube amps, and sort price low to high, that first page is an entire list of 5 watt tube amps... lol

Peavey royal 8
epi jr
Blackheart

but i was really interested in the
Blackheart Handsome Devil Series. Its 15 watts though and a little more expensive, but they had a video on youtube that reviewed it, and it seemed to get pretty loud. Although you can switch the amp between 7 and 15 watts I think, and the guy on the review used it on 7 watts, and the drive has a nice warm sound to it. but for 400$ you might wanna get something bigger...

but i've heard really good things about the blackhearts
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I got my peavey classic 30 for 300, and it's probably the most versitile little amp I've played (excepting the marshall DSL 401 that I loved). But really, I can't say enough about this amp, it's indestructable too. Great tone, great amp, VERY volume adjustable, I've played live to about a hundred people without it even miced, and I play it in my room everyday.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
bro...seriously....one thread please. i thought you already chose the fender champion?!

i'm gonna stick w/ suggesting that just b/c i'm tired of seeing new threads from you. in fact, i don't know if anyone should even post suggestions b/c even if someone found a used Fender Deluxe Reverb for sale on craigslist right in his town for $200, he'd still post a thread the next day asking for more suggestions.

annoyance is finally starting....how long have you been posting multiple threads of this? aren't we over a week or so now?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
^Longer than that, I remember seeing threads from this guy from months ago.
Quote by strat212
I got my peavey classic 30 for 300, and it's probably the most versitile little amp I've played (excepting the marshall DSL 401 that I loved). But really, I can't say enough about this amp, it's indestructable too. Great tone, great amp, VERY volume adjustable, I've played live to about a hundred people without it even miced, and I play it in my room everyday.

Duh, forgot about the classics.
Truly great amps, but I don't remember if TS wanted to go used.
After 15+ threads, you kind of lose your train of thought.

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ok well i didn't wanna seem like the local 'hater' or anything, but i was pretty sure too that it's been a few weeks almost.

i live for the day that Neptune finally gets his new amp.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
^He'll probably blow us a way and get a hiwatt or dumble. Something ridiculous like that.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

i live for the day that Neptune finally gets his new amp.

Me too.
It's like Zaffie8808 all over again!
But, we never found out which one he ended up buying lol.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
not much longer now. I have 'til the end of the month to use my coupon. (10% off)

also, much to y'alls annoyance, I'm now orn between a new amp or a $250 12-string.

again, til the end of the month, if not by then, then i'll just flip a coin.

wait which is heads?

We love you. God Bless.
i'm at the point where something like that wouldn't surprise me.

anyone remember that short run tv show that was all about testing peoples' patience? like some guy waited 10 or 15 minutes in a coffee shop waiting for his drink while the girl taking his order was being a complete annoyance and ditz-and you could tell it was kinda pissing him the heck off but he was just keeping his cool and not freakin out. then he finally gets his drink and guys come out like, "HEY HEY! UR ON CAMERA!! HA HA! HERES $500 FOR DEALING WITH THAT!"

i'm assuming we'll all get a Fender t-shirt and zvex nano....one can hope anyways
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Just go for an amp.
Don't worry about a 12 string.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
A nano would so be worth it. I would love to get one, but having the attenuator it seems a bit pointless to spend that kind of jack.
bro DON'T get a 12 string, i went thru that phase. you think it'd be cool and you'll use it all the time but in reality it'll only be used very sparingly and you'll be sitting there thinking, "wow i wish my playing sounded better and more tubish..."

*smacks on the head- "coulda had a V-8"

i swear to gee oh dee, don't get a stupid cheap 12 string, you WILL regret it and you WON'T use it as much as you think you will. you need a new amp wayyyyyyy more than new guitar.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
bro DON'T get a 12 string, i went thru that phase. you think it'd be cool and you'll use it all the time but in reality it'll only be used very sparingly and you'll be sitting there thinking, "wow i wish my playing sounded better and more tubish..."

i swear to gee oh dee, don't get a stupid cheap 12 string, you WILL regret it and you WON'T use it as much as you think you will. you need a new amp wayyyyyyy more than new guitar.

+ a number so high they don't have a name for it yet. Also, if you get the 12 string that will mean like 12 more which amp threads.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

Yeah

+3.14^9(666)*OVER 9000!!!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^LMAO. amen brotha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i'm at the point where something like that wouldn't surprise me.

anyone remember that short run tv show that was all about testing peoples' patience? like some guy waited 10 or 15 minutes in a coffee shop waiting for his drink while the girl taking his order was being a complete annoyance and ditz-and you could tell it was kinda pissing him the heck off but he was just keeping his cool and not freakin out. then he finally gets his drink and guys come out like, "HEY HEY! UR ON CAMERA!! HA HA! HERES $500 FOR DEALING WITH THAT!"

i'm assuming we'll all get a Fender t-shirt and zvex nano....one can hope anyways

BOILING POINTS!!!
That show always entertained me when i had nothing to do on a summer afternoon.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
oh yeah, I remember that. HA ha why did go off the air?

Also, what the heck, it's only money. I'm just gonna get a Crate V-Series, a Bad Monkey OD, and an amp case, or cover, or whatever....

Most likely the 18W version. It'll be loud enough for MOST small to medium-sized gigs, right?

I'm tired of y'all flaming me, I'm just gonna buy it and end it. Will take some time to persuade my parents to get it, but hey. Just 'til the end of the month. Oh crap, the coupon doesn't cover Crate. UGH!!!

oh well.

money isn't everything, oh wait...yes it is.

We love you. God Bless.
Quote by neptune1988
oh yeah, I remember that. HA ha why did go off the air?

Also, what the heck, it's only money. I'm just gonna get a Crate V-Series, a Bad Monkey OD, and an amp case, or cover, or whatever....

Most likely the 18W version. It'll be loud enough for MOST small to medium-sized gigs, right?

I'm tired of y'all flaming me, I'm just gonna buy it and end it. Will take some time to persuade my parents to get it, but hey. Just 'til the end of the month. Oh crap, the coupon doesn't cover Crate. UGH!!!

oh well.

money isn't everything, oh wait...yes it is.

Well, it's not that we're flaming you... It's just that you have made dozens of these threads over a $300 amp.
I made 2 or 3 threads asking people what I should get with my $2000.
And even that, I think I asked too much. I should have gone with my gut (which I did, after the 3rd thread).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^yea i think darkarbiter is ultimately pleased w/ his decision. btw, do you use an A/B box to get the best of both worlds (awesome cleans and beautiful natural overdrive)?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^yea i think darkarbiter is ultimately pleased w/ his decision. btw, do you use an A/B box to get the best of both worlds (awesome cleans and beautiful natural overdrive)?

I am.
I wouldn't go straight to ULTIMATELY satisfied right away, it needed some better tubes to bring it up closer to the tone I wanted (nothing 100 bucks worth of tubes didn't fix). And, perhaps a set of speakers in the future to finish it off. Nothing too big. And seeing as I got it for half price, i'm not complaining. The whole experience with tube swapping has really turned me into a tube sniffer. But, my amp sounds mint with good tubes in it.

Plus, i'm getting some RCA 6L6's in the power section probably too (in a trade, no way am I spending $400 on a pair of tubes) so hopefully that'll bring the tone up to a whole new level.
I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but no, I haven't gotten an AB box yet.
The CBB beats the Peavey in both cleans and OD, except when I need some heavy crunch. That's when the Peavey comes in.
I'll probably just let my other guitarist (rhythm) use my Classic. He likes distortion and he needs some crunch (his yamaha practice amp cranked at band practice sounds like stuff i'd rather not share).

Sorry for the wall of text.

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Jun 14, 2008,
^yea i was referring to you lol. well that's obviously b/c of taste, b/c you don't prefer having much gain as opposed to just really dirty cleans rite? (oxymoronic LOL).

damn bro, RCA tubes worth $400 eh? NOS i suppose? i couldn't see myself trading OR buying anything like power tubes for that much, not when they last only a couple years with normal playing. imagine a regular gigger paying that much every year just for power tubes....killer...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
^RCAs should last like 10 or more years though I'm thinking. I know some nos preamp tubes can last 30 years or mre.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^yea i was referring to you lol. well that's obviously b/c of taste, b/c you don't prefer having much gain as opposed to just really dirty cleans rite? (oxymoronic LOL).

damn bro, RCA tubes worth $400 eh? NOS i suppose? i couldn't see myself trading OR buying anything like power tubes for that much, not when they last only a couple years with normal playing. imagine a regular gigger paying that much every year just for power tubes....killer...

Yeah. I like dirty cleans.

Well, I don't use the things i'm potentially trading (wah, couple of od's, nothing big).
Plus, apparantly NOS tubes last like 5x more than new production tubes.
And thanks to the preowned 12ax7 deal at tubedepot, I was able to get a full complement of (used) NOS 12AX7's in my preamp section for like 100 bucks. Mint!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^niceeee. i didn't know NOS were more durable. learn somethin new everyday guys. well in that case, that's a wise investment!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
They saying goes,"They don't build 'em like they used to."
aint that the truth. alrite well i'm headin off to bed guys, catch yall in the mornin/early afternoon HAHA. i'm sure there'll be a couple more threads by then!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
aint that the truth. alrite well i'm headin off to bed guys, catch yall in the mornin/early afternoon HAHA. i'm sure there'll be a couple more threads by then!

Right you are, sir! *phony brit accent*

Anyways, I think the Frontman is going to work out fine. I would get the crate as mentioned before, but down hear, to retube an amp it costs $200-300. I dont trust myself with tubes, so I'm gonna let the techs do it.

But thats too much money to fork out every 2 years, bsides I dont gig or nothing, just jam with my frineds (bass player, lead player, and keyboardist). 65W SS should be loud enough. I need to go back to GC and see at what volume the sound deteriorates (hopefully not 'til 7 or 8, 5 or 6 would be fine, the 65W is surprisingly loud). Also, I am most likely going to get a Boss Compressor, only because the Frontmans sustain aint there, and maybe a chorus to liven it up, a better OD, (Bad Monkey), and a tremolo (for psychedelic stuff).

^ This is my final decision I have ordered the pedals already, now I just need to go to GC and buy the amp.

New Amp Day coming soon......

We love you. God Bless.
No no no no no no no.

Who on earth charges 300 bucks for a tube swap? My tech charges 30 bucks, and that's with biasing!
I don't even think the crate needs biasing (i may be wrong though).
It's like changing a lightbulb. It's actually EASIER! Tube you just pull, lightbulbs you have to twist.

You can get what you want, but I want to save you from making a mistake.
Life is too short for bad tone, so go tube!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Sorry for the double post, but I have some info.

When the V18 is looked up on MF:
Quote by Musiciansfriend
2 x EL84 output tubes, cathode biased

When I looked up cathode bias:
Quote by guitarfiles
Cathode biasing is usually fixed, and not adjustable

So, you should be able to change them yourself.

And, didn't you say a while ago in a "worst tone" thread, didn't you say that a gretch hollow body plugged into the EXACT same model frontman you want to buy produced the worst tone you've ever heard?

You just confuse me...
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
you went through all these threads....
and got a fender frontman...
i think i speak for all of GG&A when i say:
Fail.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
you went through all these threads....
and got a fender frontman...
i think i speak for all of GG&A when i say:
Fail.

i think this man is telling the truth.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
FAIL. FAIL.

F*CK A DOODLE DO FAIL!!!!!

why on earth man? i thought we were cool?

but seriously, you're getting a tube overdrive pedal for a FRONTMAN. no offense, but you're not gonna be amazed by that amp in the least, unless it's for the first two days.

i feel for ya cuz i already know how this will end up.

darkarbiter....i'm RIGHT THERE WITH YA
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
ya, if you haven't boughten it yet, DON'T!!! if you have take it back and get about a 15 watt tube amp. the Blackhearts looks nice. This might be worth looking at.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
And what's funny, is he's gonna have a new amp day with pics and clips and stuff.

Oh my.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Page 1 of 2