FYI:
I Googled this problem and also did a quick search of the forums and didn't find anything that could help me out.

So just this past week I took my 12 string guitar to school since it was the last week there and I didn't really need to bring anything else. I practically played it all week. Now I have NEVER played my 12 string this much within a span of a week. I think i even over did the time i played on it in a day. Anyways, Thursday i noticed my fingers were a little stiff but i brought my guitar anyways and played it passing off the stiffness as soreness from playing the 12 string. That night it got worse. When i try to do precise things like picking up a small object i feel strain in my index finger. Even as i type this i have to stop after a few moments to flex my finger because it feels as though it locked up. *Now i feel pain in my joint* I've stopped playing since Thursday night and have been icing it when ever i can. I've never gotten this kind of pain before, but then again i normally play on my electric 6 string which has 8s on it. My 12 string must have 9s or 10s because its harder than hell to hold. Been meaning to change them to a smaller gauge too. Anyways any help or advice would be REALLY appreciated.

One day goes by without playing the guitar and i feel like i'm trying to give up food.
Get to a doctor asap. You may have the beginnings of carpal tunnel or a number of other repetative motion problems. I have been playing guitar for 31 years and after about the first 20 I had to completely relearn posture, picking etc because I was developing carpal tunnel in my hands and bursitis in my left shoulder. Do not continue to play until you get x-rayed and checked out, as surgery is definately not something you want to go through.

See my comments on this on this thread, about half way down the page:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876114
my dad was working on the house using his hammer alot, and he started to feel stiffness in his left hand, he thought it was cuz of the hammer from all the vibrations, he went to the doctor

turned out he had a brain tumor.
Could it be just a pulled muscle? I've only been playing for a year and it was only just THIS WEEK that this has developed.

and its just my index finger.

edit:
my dad was working on the house using his hammer alot, and he started to feel stiffness in his left hand, he thought it was cuz of the hammer from all the vibrations, he went to the doctor

nice to hear T_T
Last edited by SHiLLySiT at Jun 14, 2008,
It could be just "stiffness" but it could also be the start of something more serious. You said you string your guitar with "8s", which is something that I always did as well and the switch to playing heavy gauged instruments may have just irriated your joints. I still play 8's on my main axes but I took up playing the bass shortly after re-learning to play as well as have an electric that is strung with heavy gauged strings (10's) and I mix up my practice sessions with the different instruments to keep my hands accustomed to different levels of stress.

But it is still better be safe than sorry and get checked out if you can.
I will. Just wanted to know that wasn't the only thing it could be.

AND i will be going to guitar center for those 8s....what a pain though. Never have restrung my 12 string before. =/

thanks