ok so i went to a guitarshop (Steve's - in Canada), to try the Peavey Valveking 112. They didnt have one set up to try but one the store ppl said to try the 212, he said its the same as the 112, but has 2 speakers and is 100 watts and gives the exact same sound. i tried it and i did quiet like it. however someone please correct me if the store person was wrong about the 212 giving the same sound as the 112, i heard some samples from the peavey website and it was the exact same sound for both. so yea...

BUTT!!, before i tried the VK, i accidentally (and fortunately), spotted a blackheart little giant. i heard some great stuff about it on UG, so i dicided to give it a try. i immidiately find out that it cant give distortion or any other effects by itself (call me stupid but i dont know much about amps). So i thought there is no way i am gonna buy this amp. i come home and do some more research on the blackheart little giant and i see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYj1_3A5ock i was AMAZED!! the sound for cleans is AMAZING, and i realaze with a distortion pedal, this little giant can become a monster. i really like the blackheart little giant, but i still have some questions:

some of the questions maybe TERRIBLY stupid, annoying even, you can even flame at me i wont mind, i dont know **** about amps, i probably deserve it:

- the blackheart little giant is normally all clean until you use distortion pedals to get distortion and effects pedals for effects, is it not?
- is the blackheart a tube amp?
- the blackheart i played today didnt have a head, but the ones i saw in reviews and demos had a head, so liek i am confused did i not play a little giant
at all?
- overall Blackheart Little Giant vs. Peavey Valveking 112.

which is better? because i am reallly confused on what to buy, i really liked the sound of the Blackheart
but the valveking is really nice too...

Thanks for bearing with me, i tremendously appreciate your help.
They're both different animals.

The VK is more for modern rock, The BH for classic rock.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Blackheart is all tube. I like them more than Valvekings for classic rock and blues and cleans. The Blackheart is clean until you turn it up loud, then it starts to overdrive. Get the 15 watt model and you can have a master volume so you can get distortion at low volumes.
ok so i see the BH little giant is a tube amp. WTF, store guy said its not tube...

i am not worried about the distortion, i am thinking of like if i buy the BH, then i am gona buy a good distortion pedal and thenuse it with the amp, seems much more simple that way. so yea.. still kinda confused
the little giant will get pretty dirty around 3/4 volume. but if you swap the tubes for some better quality ones and have them biased a little hotter, they'll break up faster and give you overdrive earlier. and those demos are more than likely the blackheart being turned up all the way (BEAUTIFUL sound indeed ) or the blackheart turned up enough to have a good crunchy sound and then an OD put in front of it.

i say get the blackheart....but i'm more of the marshally overdrive for the most part. american voiced gain is absolutely great when it's heavy. but for midgain, british voiced gain is the best.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
DON'T get a tube amp and not even use its distortion!!!! the blackheart has GREAT distortion on it's own, just buy an OVERDRIVE pedal instead. like a tubescreamer of some sort, and then put that in front of the blackheart while it's already dirty. no distortion pedal is gonna sound as good as that i guarantee.

listen to my clips, esepcially the newest one. (in profile). all through my Little Giant with an OD on maybe half the time.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
na the vid i posted is all clean at the beginning and then gotten to distortion by only using the distortion pedal, no adjustments to the amp at all times. and also acdcrocks0323 mentioned that the BH is "all tube"? uhm as far as i know the valveking 112 is a tube amp too, but its not "all tube"? what does "all tube" mean anyway?

EDIT: also i am more of a metal, rock, type of player.

and also no one has mentioned this yet, the blackheart little giant i played did NOT have a head, the ones i saw in review pictures and in videos all had heads. so like when i buy it will it come with a head or something or like what??
Last edited by TheRstar at Jun 14, 2008,
VK is all tube also, just some moddeling amps have either a one tube in the preamp (anyone want to verify? I'm only 90% sure on the preamp part.)
i'll try to answer all ur questions fast lol:

1) all tube generally means the preamp AND poweramp are tube-powered

2) the blackheart COMBO FORM (head and cab all in one in a sense) is what you played, the mini stack is the head and cab in two pieces so to say. very untechnical lingo there

3)the reason it sounded clean one moment and distorted the next could be two reasons: a) he used a dist. pedal like you said or b) he had an OD pedal set with high level and possbily a bit of gain-these work just like distortion pedals but in much milder and better way

4)both the blackheart and peavey are ALL tube. the blackheart has a solidstate rectifier which is very common in a lot of fully tube amps. this, in a lot of people's opinions, is better than a tube rectifier. in no way is it making the blackheart sound 'less tubey.'

5)what kind of 'metal' do you play? the blackheart can handle all the way up to thrash w/ an OD pedal. if you play more modern type metal and death metal, you might want to look into the peavey instead, as an american voicing is more your thing. the blackheart is british voiced and handles different type of gain.

lastly, post a link to the vid you were talking about and i'll see what i can find out about the pedal deal!! someone using a distortion pedal on a blackheart? BLASPHEMIC!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
well the one u played was a combo. i'm assuming they make a combo version where all the tubes and and speakers and everything are built into one peice, and a half stack version, which would be where the tubes and controls and everything are in the head and there are speakers in the cabinet.
so they're probably both blackhearts, its just they look a little different. and they prob sound a little different too.
My gear
ESP Ltd series H 400
fernandes ravelle elite (honey burst finish, emg 81 in bridge.)
B-52 AT-112(all tube!)
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i'll try to answer all ur questions fast lol:

1) all tube generally means the preamp AND poweramp are tube-powered

2) the blackheart COMBO FORM (head and cab all in one in a sense) is what you played, the mini stack is the head and cab in two pieces so to say. very untechnical lingo there

3)the reason it sounded clean one moment and distorted the next could be two reasons: a) he used a dist. pedal like you said or b) he had an OD pedal set with high level and possbily a bit of gain-these work just like distortion pedals but in much milder and better way

4)both the blackheart and peavey are ALL tube. the blackheart has a solidstate rectifier which is very common in a lot of fully tube amps. this, in a lot of people's opinions, is better than a tube rectifier. in no way is it making the blackheart sound 'less tubey.'

5)what kind of 'metal' do you play? the blackheart can handle all the way up to thrash w/ an OD pedal. if you play more modern type metal and death metal, you might want to look into the peavey instead, as an american voicing is more your thing. the blackheart is british voiced and handles different type of gain.

lastly, post a link to the vid you were talking about and i'll see what i can find out about the pedal deal!! someone using a distortion pedal on a blackheart? BLASPHEMIC!!

on the video the guy used a distortion pedal he said so, or you check out the video. i reallllly liked the distortion, and also like if i tried the combo little giant, like is it better or worse then the half stack version, or the same? for metal think: children of bodom mainly, and Paul gilbert (favourite guitarist ). i kind of like the blackheart cuz, it seems really simple, like if i am using pedals for distortion and stuff. the only thing i dun like about it is the its kind of quiet, but then again ill probably find out its too loud for me anyways (apertment). but ye...
So would it be better i fi bought the BH, and buy distortion and OD pedals, instead of the Valveking 112?
^That's what I would do, but get an OD pedal or boost., not a disto.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
but wouldnt the distortion pedal give me more of a modern sounding tone? cuz i want somethign like that. think Bodom.
sorry for being an amp n00b, but how do like change the chanels in the valveking 112 without walking up to it? this is where i prefer the little giant better because of the simplicity, cuz if i want distortion i would just stomp on the pedal you know what i mean?
Quote by TheRstar
but wouldnt the distortion pedal give me more of a modern sounding tone? cuz i want somethign like that. think Bodom.

Get the VK + OD.

It can do metal stock, but sounds better with an OD.

Not tried the LG but the VK can do rock, funk, blues, metal.

Sounds like a mix of modern and classic, bit more of a modern tone though.

EDIT: I had a dist pedal, an OD wins hands down.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Last edited by Guitar_Dan_666 at Jun 14, 2008,
sorry to jump in on his thread but what exactly is "master volume" on the amp? cause i also tried out the VK in guitar center the other day and the clean had its volume knob so did the lead. what does the master do?
Yeah, since you want higher gain, i'd go for a VK.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, since you want higher gain, i'd go for a VK.

+1

Quote by One on Sunday
sorry to jump in on his thread but what exactly is "master volume" on the amp? cause i also tried out the VK in guitar center the other day and the clean had its volume knob so did the lead. what does the master do?

Master is the volume for the full lot.

The clean and lead volume just turn up/down them channels.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
also i just thought of this:

i am going to mostly use the amp in my apertment so like will the valveking 112 be too loud? cuz in that case i might as well get the blackheart little giant/handsome devil and hook at a nice OD/distortion pedal to it and get the tone that way. so yea will the VK be too loud?
get the valveking. it is more modern voiced and the darker tone will suit ur metal needs much nicer.

IMO the blackheart wins hands down in the tone dept...but getting a blackheart just for cleans and having to throw a dist. pedal to get the proper metal tone (when you play mostly metal that is) is redundant.

....the little giant rapes the valveking but you're not gonna be using the blackheart for what it's made for (everything EXCEPT Bodom style metal).
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by TheRstar
i r scare that my VK will be t00 loudzor

Whats your definition of too loud? Do you live with other people? Nobody can tell you unless you tell us more.
i live in an appartment and like i dun want it to be so loud that ppl will start complaining. and also liek the VK sounds pretty crap at low vol, dun it? lol i will probably end up buying the VK in the anyway...
I'd say the Valveking still sounds pretty good at low (1 or 2-ish...) volumes.

Besides, it's better to have and not need more volume (Valveking) than to need and not have more volume (Little Giant), isn't it?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
you should try the Black heart out with a disto pedal. they dont sound as bad as people say if you stay away from the cheap ones. you might like it, thats what really matters.
however, try out the VK, it is suited more to what your doing. you may love it. pick what you like the best.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.