okay guys..I've been in this thread for days now with some other members..

When I started playing metal I had alot of trouble pinching harmonics out of
a 56 gauge string...So I learned to do the same Zakk Wydle/Bullet for my Valentine
style squealies by using my left hand and picking normally...

Am I the only person in the world that activates the harmonic with the left hand
and bends it simultaneously and adds vibrato...for squealies?

Im just wondering if I'm alone...because alot of people think its quite impossible..
btw..i stumbled apon this teknik by accident...so its self taught for me..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
put a youtube video or something up explaining it better, and showing us how this supposed technique works
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
okay guys..I've been in this thread for days now with some other members..

When I started playing metal I had alot of trouble pinching harmonics out of
a 56 gauge string...So I learned to do the same Zakk Wydle/Bullet for my Valentine
style squealies by using my left hand and picking normally...

Am I the only person in the world that activates the harmonic with the left hand
and bends it simultaneously and adds vibrato...for squealies?

Im just wondering if I'm alone...because alot of people think its quite impossible..
btw..i stumbled apon this teknik by accident...so its self taught for me..

I do this all the time, it's very simple if you actually understand how harmonics work.

Just play a note (eg, 5th fret) and reach out on the same string and grab a harmonic on the 10th, and wham. Artificial harmonic. Couldn't be easier.
So you use your left hand fret the note then hit the string with an extra finger lower in a harmonic place. Is that correct? I would also like a video if possible ive never heard/seen this. I dont think Zakk Wylde does them that way he does them with is pick hand. What if you have to play a fast run ending on a harmonic with your pinky?

Ive gone and tried this now i got it to work but i don't see how usefull it could be you cant do it on any note at any time like a p.h. but its interesting to know.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by Freepower
I do this all the time, it's very simple if you actually understand how harmonics work.

Just play a note (eg, 5th fret) and reach out on the same string and grab a harmonic on the 10th, and wham. Artificial harmonic. Couldn't be easier.

Is he talking about artificial harmonics, though? He's rather vague about it.
This is just a regular tap harmonic and you bend the string at the 10th fret.

It's one of those "video game" noises that Dragonforce does.
It's fretting a note, then hitting a natural harmonic with the left hand. Simple as that.

Same idea as when you hit a harmonic on the third fret of an open string. But you try to do it by (for example) doing it on the fifth fret while fretting the second fret.
Quote by Freepower
^ you can do it any note any time.

YES!!! exactly!!!..if you shake it you get some crazy squeals..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
You're talking about Natural harmonics, and there's thousands of people who use them, you're not the only one, and it is a valid and recognised technique. And please don't call them 'squealies', it just sounds weird, although it does help people who are new to guitar understand what a harmonic is.

The type of harmonic you're failing to master is Pinch/Artificial harmonics, where you touch the string with your right thumb just after the note is hit (prosuming you're right handed), and your thumb is kinda dug under the string whil picking.
Quote by Freepower
^ you can do it any note any time.

If the note you want to do a harmonic on lands on your pinky could you explain how you could activate the harmonic with your left hand? I think you would have to use your right hand this is just a tapped natural harmonic. I believe its a tapped natural harmonic wether you use your fret hand or right hand.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Jun 16, 2008,