how easy is it to form a band in college? If it helps im going to UNT, a school with a good music program. Although im only taking couple of music theory classes there. I might get to stay at the dorm that is near the music buidlings, so there'll be some music majors in the dorm. They also have practice rooms in that dorm building, altought it is quiete small. Also there are great bars and clubs nears denton, so that'll be good.

I play guitar and an aspiring songwriter, and I sing also, so maybe i just need a bassist and a drummer. I play classic rock/blues/ and country, so hopefully there will be other musicians who have the same taste as me.
if you're in a program that has to do with music, i would guess that it's pretty easy. tons of people in the Music Management program from the college in my hometown are aspiring musicians and a few decent bands emerge from there every couple of years.
Last edited by dudius at Jun 14, 2008,
Uni of north texas is known for its jazz program, but hopefully i can find some musicans who likes rock.
How old are you?

Forming a rock band will be a task at a school for music, which will most likely be full of music snobs. The music you like is more about attitude and feel than it is about technique, and music school isn't about attitude.

You'll find some amazing musicians, just don't expect all these classically trained jazz artists to be too into Black Sabbath.
You need a bagpipe player so you can cover Pogues songs.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by stringmagician
How old are you?

Forming a rock band will be a task at a school for music, which will most likely be full of music snobs. The music you like is more about attitude and feel than it is about technique, and music school isn't about attitude.

You'll find some amazing musicians, just don't expect all these classically trained jazz artists to be too into Black Sabbath.

so you're saying its easier to form a rock band at a college not known for music?
anyways UNT is known for music, but it is a regular 4 year university. Im not getting into their music program, except taking one class of basic music theory and maybe producing music.
well if the TS is into classic rock and blues, and he's going to this uni, then maybe (just maybe ....) there will be OTHER people there who aren't complete music snobs? everyone has different tastes in music, and it'd be hard to go to a place filled with musicians and not find at least a couple who'd be into jamming a bit. once you're jamming together, that's when you find out what you guys would wanna collaborate on. they might not just wanna play classic rock songs, and you might not wanna just play what they like either. that's how bands get their sound, all the members compromise and find something they all like, and they write things between the members that comes out as an original style.

just be outgoing during your classes and in the jam rooms, and you'll find someone. trust me. (actually i have no experience in this situation, but take comfort in my words. at least i can provide that.)
Burn The Priest(Lamb of God) was a college band. Ya never know.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Jack Off Jill
You need a bagpipe player so you can cover Pogues songs.
i used to lump the pogues in with all the other uber-oirish clones like flogging molly and dropkick murphy's. then i actually listened to them, amazing. anyway ..

*places jack off one notch higher in my book
by the way Don Henley went to UNT, but didnt take any music classes, and he's in the eagles, which is one of my favorite bands.

so do you think i should stay in the regular dorm rooms? So I dont have to play with music snobs but regular musicians who's not classical trained or what not? also at that dorm near the music hall, i dont think there's going to be as much hot chicks as compared to the other dorms, and i want to meet girls too.
Last edited by lpmarshall at Jun 14, 2008,
dude, what makes you think people studying nothing but music will be music snobs? define what amazing knowledge they'll have that will make them snobs if they still have to study music at a university? sure, there'll be lots of classical musicians, but the ones you're looking for play guitar, bass, and drums. they'll wanna play with you if you're a decent musician who can improvise well in any situation.

now if you're not that great a musician, and you're studying music at uni so you can BECOME a good musician, you might wanna stick to the regular dorms.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
dude, what makes you think people studying nothing but music will be music snobs? define what amazing knowledge they'll have that will make them snobs if they still have to study music at a university? sure, there'll be lots of classical musicians, but the ones you're looking for play guitar, bass, and drums. they'll wanna play with you if you're a decent musician who can improvise well in any situation.

now if you're not that great a musician, and you're studying music at uni so you can BECOME a good musician, you might wanna stick to the regular dorms.

well not really snobs, but I dont want to play in a strict jazz style of playing. So i guess theres going to be tons of other musicians who aren't in the music program, but just go to the college for education?
Quote by blackflag49
i used to lump the pogues in with all the other uber-oirish clones like flogging molly and dropkick murphy's. then i actually listened to them, amazing. anyway ..

*places jack off one notch higher in my book

Thats right. The Pogues did it the best. And that Shane is a looker.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i live near UNT and am transfering there before long but just kinda get out there and see what you can find, more people you meet and talk to about it more options you have, maybe can toss up a flier also
Quote by lpmarshall
anyone else had experiences with this?

REM was a college band at UGA, so it could happen!!!
Quote by guitardude34875
REM was a college band at UGA, so it could happen!!!

Of montreal and a couple other bands are from that town too, Athens, I dont know if they went to college there or not.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Thats right. The Pogues did it the best. And that Shane is a looker.

Lovely pearly whites too!

Also, my name would have been Shane McGowan if my mother never married.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Last edited by Wiirdo at Jun 14, 2008,