Page 1 of 2
I have a line 6 toneport ux2. what is the best recording software i can use for this without spending tons of $$$? Please don't say audacity.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.

Quote by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
whats wrong with audacity. they wouldent make it free if it wasnt so badass.................

horrible quality.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Audacity is a piece of **** program. It is just an open source minimalist recording program.

Best program out there right now, hands down, is Fruity Loops. I am not very good with it like most people because it is fairly new, so I use Acid Pro, Sonar 4 producer and Audition.

If you look at what people like Ronald Jenkees are able to do with the program that you will really see what it is capable of.
Quote by Anthony1991
Torrents :P

can i have a link to a website? i have a hard time finding websites with free torrents or websites that u dont need to subscribe to.

Quote by silentdud
Audacity is a piece of **** program. It is just an open source minimalist recording program.

Best program out there right now, hands down, is Fruity Loops. I am not very good with it like most people because it is fairly new, so I use Acid Pro, Sonar 4 producer and Audition.

If you look at what people like Ronald Jenkees are able to do with the program that you will really see what it is capable of.

isnt fruity loops more for midi instruments?
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Last edited by synestershadows at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by synestershadows
can i have a link to a website? i have a hard time finding websites with free torrents or websites that u dont need to subscribe to.

isnt fruity loops more for midi instruments?

Fruity loops works with pretty much anything you can import audio clips too. the mixing and looping capacity it provides is amazing.

I could also go on for hours about how bad audacity is because people here seem to love to recommend it.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by Anthony1991
Torrents :P

We here at UG dont encourage the use of torrents as it isnt legal. And if you were in the pit last night you would have seen at least one post where someone got caught.

TS, use Reaper
And I suggest the license
Yeah please don't use torrents... the reason being - I have to pay more when you use torrents lol.

These companies are constantly upping their prices because people are stealing this software so when I buy a program for $600 it gets annoying...

Please don't. You shouldn't need something great to start off with - and when you have gotten really good - save up to buy the software.
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
whats wrong with audacity. they wouldent make it free if it wasnt so badass.................

Is that a joke?

Quote by ovdojoey
Yeah please don't use torrents... the reason being - I have to pay more when you use torrents lol.

These companies are constantly upping their prices because people are stealing this software so when I buy a program for $600 it gets annoying...

Please don't. You shouldn't need something great to start off with - and when you have gotten really good - save up to buy the software.

All the more reason for you to illegaly obtain them too

To the thread starter: Don't waste your money on ligitimate products, if ya want ill p.m you a sight where you DL any programs you like. I just have to hope companies don't take the Protools approach and start making selective programs that only operate with certain interfaces. Virus scan all folders you download twice before you open them.
Last edited by f*ck 0ff at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by silentdud

Fruity loops has been around for quiet some time now. say abut 8-10 years

but none the less this program is actually really good there are lots of things u can do, its not just a midi program i find it very powerful in all aspects
Quote by f*ck 0ff
Is that a joke?

All the more reason for you to illegaly obtain them too

To the thread starter: Don't waste your money on ligitimate products, if ya want ill p.m you a sight where you DL any programs you like. I just have to hope companies don't take the Protools approach and start making selective programs that only operate with certain interfaces. Virus scan all folders you download twice before you open them.

Discussion of pirating is neither condoned nor accepted in the R&R section. Please take it elsewhere.
The sound quality of audacity isn't bad at all. Theres nothing in the program that "corrupts" the sound files or something. It has limited resources and tools but if you learn it, you can still make awesome demos with it.

QUOTE]

Fruity Loops is obviously not the best program out hands down. It's also not very new at all. It's also not very good for a beginning music producer as you yourself cannot even get a hang of it. Stop making generalized statements you can't back up.

To TS, I learned on Audacity and Reaper and now I use Cubase 4. Cubase is a very capable program but is very easy to use.
The sound quality of audacity isn't bad at all. Theres nothing in the program that "corrupts" the sound files or something. It has limited resources and tools but if you learn it, you can still make awesome demos with it.

Quote by silentdud

QUOTE]

Fruity Loops is obviously not the best program out hands down. It's also not very new at all. It's also not very good for a beginning music producer as you yourself cannot even get a hang of it. Stop making generalized statements you can't back up.

To TS, I learned on Audacity and Reaper and now I use Cubase 4. Cubase is a very capable program but is very easy to use.

but isnt cubase 4 really expensive? im gonna try out fl and acid music studio
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
i really like riffworks (i tried the demo) but there isnt much freedom. you have to set the amount of measures to record and u cant cut anything off. does anybody know if theres a way to get rid of that?
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Quote by MrPillow
Discussion of pirating is neither condoned nor accepted in the R&R section. Please take it elsewhere.

Sorry if I offended you, keep up the good work officer.
Try some software out. If you like it seriously buy it.

Advanced:
fficial&client=firefox-a">Google search results

Does mostly what the above can, free for private use, small and fast:
http://www.reaper.fm/

Easy to use and cheap if you buy it, but doesn't have the power of the bug guns (probably fine for what you need though):
Google search results

(I'm not pointing to anything illegal.)
Last edited by krazylobster at Jun 15, 2008,

Quote by silentdud

QUOTE]

FL studio can do anything that both of those programs can do combined... the interface for manipulating loops is incredible. FL isnt new but the FL studio suit is, along with the exporting features you didnt have in earlier versions.

Audacity does not get the job done. It is a minimalist program that is only good for basic recordings. You have to be joking when you say that the looping ability from cubase is anything remotely as good as FL. Looping capabilities are key.

I've used cubase but you don't get the plugin variety that cakewalk offers.
Last edited by silentdud at Jun 15, 2008,
Audacity is pretty damn hot. Also, if you have access to a Mac, then use Garageband. It's great, great software. Lots of tasty built-in effects.
CompTIA Certified Triple A+, Network+ Professional.
Quote by altgrunge

FL studio can do anything that both of those programs can do combined... the interface for manipulating loops is incredible. FL isnt new but the FL studio suit is, along with the exporting features you didnt have in earlier versions.

Audacity does not get the job done. It is a minimalist program that is only good for basic recordings. You have to be joking when you say that the looping ability from cubase is anything remotely as good as FL. Looping capabilities are key.

I've used cubase but you don't get the plugin variety that cakewalk offers.

Audacity gets the job done if you're a beginner and you don't know what you're doing. I'm not saying it's great I'm just saying it's good for somebody who has zero experience. I have no use whatsoever for looping abilities so that aspect of FL does nothing for me.
You know that Audacity + all those plugins = more than a "beginner's" audio editor, right?

Quote by silentdud

Audacity gets the job done if you're a beginner and you don't know what you're doing. I'm not saying it's great I'm just saying it's good for somebody who has zero experience. I have no use whatsoever for looping abilities so that aspect of FL does nothing for me.
Quote by dimebagmatt
Audacity is pretty damn hot. Also, if you have access to a Mac, then use Garageband. It's great, great software. Lots of tasty built-in effects.

haha man have you ever actually used any other programs, like logic protools or sonar? if you had theres no way you could be talking about audacity in that way, its just inarguably inferior. A begginers program is exactly what it is, if you can find one person that actually knows what they're doing who uses audacity as their main tracking program I would be amazed.
Quote by f*ck 0ff
haha man have you ever actually used any other programs, like logic protools or sonar? if you had theres no way you could be talking about audacity in that way, its just inarguably inferior. A begginers program is exactly what it is, if you can find one person that actually knows what they're doing who uses audacity as their main tracking program I would be amazed.

i think i'm gonna go with riffworks, since it is meant to be used with toneport and its just as good or better than garageband.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Adobe Audition + Fruity loops (for midi effects).

Or if you're willing to switch to mac, Logic. (doing that in a future)

ProTools is hands down the best (and easiest), but you need hardware from m-audio, so it costs money even if you torrent it.
Quote by TheSound
Adobe Audition + Fruity loops (for midi effects).

Or if you're willing to switch to mac, Logic. (doing that in a future)

ProTools is hands down the best (and easiest), but you need hardware from m-audio, so it costs money even if you torrent it.

Most protools hardware comes from digidesign.
Quote by f*ck 0ff

Judging by your apparent lack of intelligence, I'd say that the differences between them make very little difference to you. And yes, I've used Protools and Cubase SX 3 whilst being trained at a recording studio. Of course, since I don't have a home studio with a 32 in+out mixer, it seems a bit pointless to either pirate such software, or fork out hundreds/thousands of pounds on it.

Out of the box, Audacity's hardly in their ball park. Once you've added the sheer amount of plugins available, you might find it a bit more suitable. Of course, you won't, because you dismiss it based on the size of your ego.
Quote by dimebagmatt
Judging by your apparent lack of intelligence, I'd say that the differences between them make very little difference to you. And yes, I've used Protools and Cubase SX 3 whilst being trained at a recording studio. Of course, since I don't have a home studio with a 32 in+out mixer, it seems a bit pointless to either pirate such software, or fork out hundreds/thousands of pounds on it.

Out of the box, Audacity's hardly in their ball park. Once you've added the sheer amount of plugins available, you might find it a bit more suitable. Of course, you won't, because you dismiss it based on the size of your ego.

you describe Audacity as "pretty damn hot", and I lack intelligence because I disagree? The reason I dismiss Audacity is because its an inferior product, but evidently your lack of intelligence has led you to believe that audacity is "pretty damn hot".
Quote by f*ck 0ff
you describe Audacity as "pretty damn hot", and I lack intelligence because I disagree? The reason I dismiss Audacity is because its an inferior product, but evidently your lack of intelligence has led you to believe that audacity is "pretty damn hot".

Wrong. I think you lack intelligence because you demonstrate a lack of grammar and an inability to spell words in English. The reason I'm dismissing you is because your use of English is inferior. Right?

And I do believe that Audacity is pretty damn hot. It's good, it works, and it's free. What's not hot about that?
I got the Ableton Lite version with my UX2. I don't know if they still bundle it.

I use ver 7 now and I like it. It's easy to record with and add to.
There are a lot of options I have no idea how to use yet but it doesn't affect what I use it for at all.

They have a free 14 day trial (sign up for a newsletter) which I'd recommend giving a go. If you don't like it then no harm done eh?

Free 14 Day Trial

The downside is it is quite expensive...
Quote by f*ck 0ff
Most protools hardware comes from digidesign.

Still, you cant just torrent protools, you need to buy something.
Quote by f*ck 0ff

I use Audacity for recording AND track editing. I have Cubase SE3 for my mixing but at this point in time I could do about 95% of what I use Cubase for in Audacity if I wanted to.

The big problem with Audacity, folks don't want to take the time to learn it. They don't have the first clue about the basics of recording, they are going from a speaker jack on a 200 watt amp into the mic input on their PC and wonder why it sounds like crap. And then get pissed off because someone won't hold their hand for every step of the way.

Reaper is probably the best bang for the $$ at the low end. But, for the guys who are students, if you check with your book store, there are a lot of the better programs available as fully functional student editions at pretty good prices.

Tony
Quote by dimebagmatt
Wrong. I think you lack intelligence because you demonstrate a lack of grammar and an inability to spell words in English. The reason I'm dismissing you is because your use of English is inferior. Right?

And I do believe that Audacity is pretty damn hot. It's good, it works, and it's free. What's not hot about that?

Bull ... you are mad because someone went against what you said (and he was an ass about it - don't get me wrong) but I still think audacity is crap... and I have used the rest as well... Don't kid yourself - he said the honest truth - this topic is called "Best Recording Software" - I personally think you lack intelligence for suggesting audacity. Mainly because it's not the best, and the thread starter said specifically not to suggest it...

Please use big words to combat me - I'm ready .
Last edited by ovdojoey at Jun 16, 2008,
Page 1 of 2