I know how to build the Major and Minor Scales (both Pentatonic and Diatonic). But the thing is I dont know how to properly learn them. I can play C and G quite well but I still some wrong notes and when I start to improvise on those keys, somtimes my mind goes blank and i dont know what notes are on which frets (especially the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings).

Any tips on how to practice scales properly, as so that i can have fretboard mastery?
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-PRS Tremonti SE with SD SH-1 '59 (Neck) and SD Distortion (Bridge)

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
yeah. play them over and over again. up and down up and down.
and maybe check on a scale website, which has the scales drawn. i think that will help too.
try all-guitar-chords.com
the best way to practise is dont just learn and play shapes, learn the notes.
play them really slow (metronome on 40bpm), make sure you know the name of every note you're playing, paying attention to what note in the scale is next/before, and then move around the fretboard.
the idea is to be able to know what notes youre playing and what you can play.

a cool idea is to play scales on one string at a time, going up and down. you dont want to look at a guitar to improvise and see a pattern, you wanna see the notes that you could using and how they can function to what progression/chord youre playing over

look at a book called 'The Advancing Guitarist' by Mick Goodrick. It advances quick, but itl change your life.

hope that helps!
Official Leader of the Power to the Little People campaign:
Creating equal opportunities for less than equal people.

Power to the Little People!!
at 40 bpm... is that quarter note or 8th note? So what you (bong water) mean is that i play the scales and at the samte time say the name of the notes I'm playing?

I know the name of the notes im playing.. i mean i know the names of the notes of the key but when im playing it on the guitar my fingers just go through them and my mind couldnt catch up with my fingers.
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
I would also appreciate if anyone could give me a practice routine for scales. Thanks.

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Quote by RCalisto
yeah. play them over and over again. up and down up and down.
and maybe check on a scale website, which has the scales drawn. i think that will help too.
try all-guitar-chords.com

I personally don't think there's any benefit to be had from playing straight scales up and down.

Use scales by all means, construct exercises from them but do so in a away that's going to have some practical benefit. Use horzontal runs that incorporate position shifts, triplet patterns, string skipping exercises, arpeggios, tapping runs etc. There's little to be gained from training your fingers to run up and down a static pattern unless you want to be a boring guitarist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
could you show me some examples of that? (steven seagull)

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Check out this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850253

Playing the scale straight up in down at first is important when learning it/getting it under your fingers. Beyond that though, you'll notice in actual music people don't really apply them this way. Learning to move through the scale in 3rd-7ths (see link) is good practice on a number of levels and will help in making music with the scale. Also learn solos from your favorite artists to see how they apply scales, and also practice with backing tracks & other people as often as possible