hey UG,
I was thinking getting one of these since i really admire the vintage look of these plus there a lot cheaper then say the American Vintage '62. So I was wondering what your thoughts are on this guitar
I don't like them at all. If I were to buy one I would probably sell it as a loss when I decided to buy the American model, which are quite good or a CS.

I would look for a used 62 usa model. maybe it'll cost you a little more but chances are you'll be happy with it.
I have one and, with a good pickup upgrade and a few mods, it's a great guitar for a great price. The amp is also very important, so both the MIM and MIA will sound like crap through a cheap amp.

Sure it's not as good as the '62 reissue, but it's also about $1000 cheaper.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I have seen the USA reissues for as low as 775 depending on condition. Not sure what the low end Fenders cost as they're not really something I buy.

I have found over the years if I save and spend a little more I don't have to change pickups or anything and the guitar will stick with me a long time.

The few times I have changed pickups, tuners, etc... I end up selling the guitar anyway because it never quite becomes what I want.

Just my 2 cents
mmm, maybe ill just wait for a while..
Last edited by striker327 at Jun 14, 2008,
That's the thing. I went through about 4 American Standards before ordering a CS Fender built the way I wanted it.

In the long run it would have been cheaper to just order from the CS.

The thing I'm saying is just wait and save and keep checking for deals. If you get it used and don't like it you're probably going to get most of your $ back (or more) when you sell it.
My MIM strat is nearly as good as an american one but I have put 500 dollars into it to get it that way. Plus it still only has 21 frets and the wood isn't american quality. I know you can pick up a american standard for 999.00. Mine cost 350 + 500. The main difference is this is MY custon shop and I planned on modding this strat. For the most part the only thing I like to add to any guitar is locking tuners. You can't simply throw pickups in something to make it something else it doesn't work that way. It started life as a blackie and now is a moosie

I say save and get a good american axe.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by anonamooseguy at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by striker327
^ nope but you can change the neck as well lol...
thanx for the reply

Trust me I have considered a neck change but what I fell in love with is the chunky maple neck. The only time it really sucks is like the 3rd portion of the money solo. Man you have to do some serious bending to hit them notes or do what david gilmore did and use a 24 fret guitar for just that portion on the solo. I just can't pull off a step and a half bend at the 21st fret of the high e and sound good.
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Yeah you put all that money into a Mexico guitar to get it nearly as good as a sub-par American guitar.

You spent $850 (350 + 500) when for less then that you could have bought a used American Tele - maybe an American and a Mexican one used actually or a USA RI 52 (I bought one for 875 last year on ebay).

Now when you go sell that Tele you're not going to get anywhere near 850 for it. Had you just bought a used USA one for 500 - 700 you would get that or more back and - as you said - yours is nearly as good - not "as good" as those.

To the OP - I'm just trying to save you some money. Play both and feel the difference. Pickups and hardware are not going to get you that finish and detail on the frets, quality of wood, etc....

The guy posting above owns a "custom shop". That is pretty rare. A lot of times someone has a buddy who owns a soldering iron and fixes guitars. This guy is lucky.

I have a CS Fender Tele and it doesn't play anything like a USA Tele - the neck is different, the wood and finish are completely different and the weight is different. There is a reason they cost more.

The USA Vintage guitars are very good.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by SenorSmiley
Yeah you put all that money into a Mexico guitar to get it nearly as good as a sub-par American guitar.

You spent $850 (350 + 500) when for less then that you could have bought a used American Tele - maybe an American and a Mexican one used actually or a USA RI 52 (I bought one for 875 last year on ebay).

Now when you go sell that Tele you're not going to get anywhere near 850 for it. Had you just bought a used USA one for 500 - 700 you would get that or more back and - as you said - yours is nearly as good - not "as good" as those.

To the OP - I'm just trying to save you some money. Play both and feel the difference. Pickups and hardware are not going to get you that finish and detail on the frets, quality of wood, etc....

The guy posting above owns a "custom shop". That is pretty rare. A lot of times someone has a buddy who owns a soldering iron and fixes guitars. This guy is lucky.

I have a CS Fender Tele and it doesn't play anything like a USA Tele - the neck is different, the wood and finish are completely different and the weight is different. There is a reason they cost more.

The USA Vintage guitars are very good.

Agreed. I set out to MOD this one to my wants. Trust me this is a pretty smokin axe. I would never do this to an american made fender you lose the value once you touch it like that. Thus the MIM.
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by anonamooseguy at Jun 14, 2008,
yeah, but you said it's "almost as good" as a USA made one. I'm sure it's ok, but I hope you never decide to sell it.
yeh I would never sell my mexican since it plays really well with the warmoth, ebony fretboard neck (which is very fast). I'm not sure how it would rate up against an American, I'd imagine it would be dam close. after all this being said I'll probably go to a store one time and decide between a few different vintage based strats.. who knows where I may end up

appreciate all the replies......
striker
as per tittle thread, Classic 60's is made by Mexican
Fender is the finest guitar ever made
Ok if you want to be technical in all ways it is better than an american with the exception of the body and neck.

/sarcasm If I ever come across someone getting rid of an american strat really cheap then I will put all these mods on it and then I will rule the earth and when I rule the earth I will build a huge prison, and when I build that prison I will put you in it for questioning me and I will play my Modded guitar in front of your face everyday forever and ever.
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X