Well, before i got my Laney VC30, i was looking into a 5 watt all tube amp. Why i ended up getting a 30 watter, i don't know, but i'm keeping it as a gigging amp, even though for me, gigs or anything at all are very rare. The trouble is, even though i've removed 2 power tubes to try to reduce the output, i still can't get natural power-tube breakup at a sensible level. The reason i want natural overdrive is because when i cranked my VC30 last week and used the big muff, it got this wonderfully nasty tone which was smooth and long-sustaining but with a gritty overtone that sounded brilliant. I'm trying to achieve that tone at lower volumes, and using the drive channel sort of does it, but it sounds really muddy no matter what settings i try to use.

So i was wondering: Is there a 5 watt tube amp which can reach a slight breakup at sensible bedroom volume? The Epi valve junior seems to have the least headroom out of the 5 watters and apparently really likes pedals, so that seems like a good idea but i'm not sure if it'll be too loud. other than that, i could get an attenuator, but i can only pay about £80 at most. Where can i get a weber in the UK?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Just get an attenuator. 5w amps sound very different to the bigger ones. I would know, I own a VJ and a VC30 and it's impossible to get the VC30 to sound anywhere near as good.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Just get an attenuator. 5w amps sound very different to the bigger ones. I would know, I own a VJ and a VC30 and it's impossible to get the VC30 to sound anywhere near as good.

i'm confused now. are you saying the VJ is better sounding? (well, it probably is at lower volumes, the VC30 doesn't seem to like bedroom volume at all). sound is more important than volume to me - i might just about be able to push my luck a little with the volume.

i'm not trying to replicate the sound exactly, its more the "amp on the edge of catching fire" effect. I could get the sound in the guitar rig 3 demo by doing the same sort of thing but it was just really nasty and digital sounding. So modelling software =/= solution. I only need a very small amount of tube breakup to do it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Whoops, typo. No, the VC30 is WAY better. I use an attenuator and it's a great bedroom tone, wheras i've modded the HELL out of the Junior to no avail. I'll probably end up gutting the VJ and using the chassis and trannies in a project, but as an amp I really dislike it.
Quote by Blompcube
Well, before i got my Laney VC30, i was looking into a 5 watt all tube amp. Why i ended up getting a 30 watter, i don't know, but i'm keeping it as a gigging amp, even though for me, gigs or anything at all are very rare. The trouble is, even though i've removed 2 power tubes to try to reduce the output, i still can't get natural power-tube breakup at a sensible level. The reason i want natural overdrive is because when i cranked my VC30 last week and used the big muff, it got this wonderfully nasty tone which was smooth and long-sustaining but with a gritty overtone that sounded brilliant. I'm trying to achieve that tone at lower volumes, and using the drive channel sort of does it, but it sounds really muddy no matter what settings i try to use.

So i was wondering: Is there a 5 watt tube amp which can reach a slight breakup at sensible bedroom volume? The Epi valve junior seems to have the least headroom out of the 5 watters and apparently really likes pedals, so that seems like a good idea but i'm not sure if it'll be too loud. other than that, i could get an attenuator, but i can only pay about £80 at most. Where can i get a weber in the UK?

If anyone can answer this, that'd be fantastic
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
eurotubes do them and they ship to the UK, or you could buy direct from weber, but I don't really know of any properly UK based distributors. Watfordvalves might but they're very pricey.
i assume the prices on eurotubes would be in euros, in which case i'm not sure if i can afford anything suitable that they have.

MrCarrot, how loud, in comparison to the VC30, is the VJ?

The VJ can only just be heard in a band practice at about 2 o'clock and boosted by an OD pedal (additional fatness and gain) before the tone starts to crap out. The VC30 with 4 EL84s in and stock speaker has never needed to be turned above 3 on the Drive Vol, however...

The Laney's definitely a lot louder, although the speaker makes up a lot of that with about 4dB more sensitivity on the stock and 6dB with my G12H in. Then you account for the wattage, the VC30 is 6 times the wattage, so if doubling the wattage is a 3dB increase and double the volume is 10 times at 10dB, that'd be something like 6dB more? So the VC30 is probably overall about 'twice' the volume of the VJ.

And I think Eurotubes is in USD$, but i'm unsure, not checked it in a while.
I'm just guessing but even with two tubes pulled the v30 is probably about twice as loud. Ted weber sells direct and the miniMASS would work perfectly for you and should be in your price range.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Blompcube
i assume the prices on eurotubes would be in euros, in which case i'm not sure if i can afford anything suitable that they have.

MrCarrot, how loud, in comparison to the VC30, is the VJ?

The VJ isn't that loud when you're playing with a band, but when you're on your own in your bedroom it's still pretty unusable as a bedroom practice amp, at breakup volumes it'll be too loud.

I'd go for the attenuator.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ agreed, i've moved my valve junior into a smaller room at the moment, and it's very loud (and it was pretty loud already, lol). assuming your bedroom is a similar size, it's going to still be way too loud.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ agreed, i've moved my valve junior into a smaller room at the moment, and it's very loud (and it was pretty loud already, lol). assuming your bedroom is a similar size, it's going to still be way too loud.

well, actually its quite a big bedroom, and i'm not too bothered about my own listening volume (i like it loud), the thing i'm more concerned about is it being loud enough to disturb the old woman next door (because i'm a good samaritan, and she's not evil like most. she looks like queen Elizabeth II ), although we do hear her TV really clearly sometimes, so i think she's pretty deaf, therefore i don't really know if its such a big problem, until its loud enough to be heard 3 doors down. currently my amp is downstairs, my main concern is that moving the laney upstairs, at the volume i play at, its gonna leak through to next door a lot easier.

i'd say it's probably too loud if you share any walls with neighbours.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?