i dont want to learn barre chords, i really really dont like doing them... do you think its mandartory to have to be able to do them?
Quote by Daniel8488
i dont want to learn barre chords, i really really dont like doing them... do you think its mandartory to have to be able to do them?

Then you don't want to play the guitar.

If you can't even be bothered to make the effort to master a realtively simple, fundamental technique then what chance have you got when it comes to the harder stuff?

Learning to play the guitar is hard and requires a good deal of committment and effort, if you don't have it then don't waste your time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i have the same problem, well.. ok i can do them and make them work and all that, i just cant get them constructed as quick as id like to.. but practise makes perfect.. but i need sooo much effing practise
try power chords instead
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
go for powerchords... there yo ugo
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
You'll get there, I had the same thought when I started. Trust me though, it'll come with time but you need to work at it, or you're just giving up the guitar. Nothing good ever came easy
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Well, it's not mandatory, but if you want to get good, it would help learning them. They aren't actually that hard, in a year or so you will probably be thinking 'wtf, how did I ever find this hard'.

I hated doing them at first, I still hate some of them, but they are no where near as hard as they used to be.

Edit:
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
You'll get there, I had the same thought when I started. Trust me though, it'll come with time but you need to work at it, or you're just giving up the guitar. Nothing good ever came easy

I could never do them, so I never practiced them, then one day I was playing around and tried doing one, and it was a whole lot easier. And then I just started playing them more and more because I'd gotten over the main barrier.
Last edited by Regression at Jun 14, 2008,
Theyre mandatory if you want to anything more than a very basic guitar player. As steven seagull said, if you cant be bothered to learn them how are you gonna learn anything harder.
Hey TS, Stop complaing and start practicing. Ive been working on barre chords for a week now and I still cant do them at the first fret. However i know they sound awesome so i try not to get discouraged. There are some tricks to make it slightly less of a challenge. Follow this link Scroll down and there are a few videos.
hey thanks,

the only reason i asked is becuase its the most physically demanded thing (for me) to do on the guitar. but ive just watched that justinguitar video and i can actaully play them now, thanks for that link!

i guess i had the technique way wrong.
Im a bass player and the guitarist in my band used to reeli struggle with bar chords. Something to do with his hand position made it harder, but that was set right with practice and proper teaching of the correct technique. It reeli has gave the band so much more freedom. No offense to him, but before he could do them comfortably he really was holding us back. You'll get there, just gotta work at it
powerchords are nothing like barre chords.
Sure they sound similar, but theres an incredible amount of things you can do with barre chords that you cant with powerchords. There not even real chords.
Been away, am back
i hate them too
but you gotta learn them sometime
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
learn them Im glad i did most people say they're tough at first but you just gotta keep at them
i`ve only been learning for about a month and just played an f with out any buzzing and originally thought a d chord was impossible keep trying i am
Quote by steven seagull
Then you don't want to play the guitar.

If you can't even be bothered to make the effort to master a realtively simple, fundamental technique then what chance have you got when it comes to the harder stuff?

Learning to play the guitar is hard and requires a good deal of committment and effort, if you don't have it then don't waste your time.

+1

If it was easy, everyone would play guitar.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Daniel8488

LOL. Nothing is mandatory. You don't have to do anything.

Not being able to do a barre chord will just have consequences on your playing.
It's a pretty basic skill. If you hate doing them, it's pretty likely you're going to hate
a lot of other things people do on the guitar. Doesn't bode too well for your
guitar future....