Page 1 of 2
I have a Peavey XXL head (which delivers massive amounts of low end) but I can't seem to find a cab that can handle it while matching the volume of my drummer. I've tried multiple marshall, peavey, and mesa cabs all with the same result: terrible low end distortion. I've been thinking about getting a vader 2x15 but I don't wanna spent $800 on something I can't try out. I've also been thinking about buying a crossover, a 1000 watt power amp and a bass cabinet to add to the half stack, but this seems needlessly complicated and expensive to boot. So if anyone out their can offer any suggestions, I'm all ears.
why dont you lower your bass?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Let the bassist handle those notes?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Karl Sanders uses Marshall JCM 2000 Heads and Marshall Cabs.

And thats all the help i can be of. Sorry
try randall they have lots of low end tone
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
Buy an EQ and Boost the mids and highs .... problem solved.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Get the Vader, or a Basson. They use the same speakers, but the Vader is better built.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I'd say mabe get a new amp head, or let bassist hold down the low end
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Everybody keeps saying to boost my mids and hi end or let the bassist handle it, but that doesn't solve the problem because I want the low end capabilities in my cab. When I hit the low A palm muted I want the neighbors to think that their is an earthquake. What about using a bass cab instead of a guitar cab?
Quote by newevol
Everybody keeps saying to boost my mids and hi end or let the bassist handle it, but that doesn't solve the problem because I want the low end capabilities in my cab. When I hit the low A palm muted I want the neighbors to think that their is an earthquake. What about using a bass cab instead of a guitar cab?

So let me get this straight: You play in drop 'A'? As in... 3 steps below standard? Weird.

Although I Hate these bands, Korn and Slipknot both play 7 strings. Find out what they play through. As for the bass cab. idea. No. Just, no. It just doesn't work that way.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
if you get a baritone guitar then the low a should sound alot better i did that when i played in B and it played and sounded and was as clear as playing i drop D, the over sized mesa cabs do have loads of bottom end tho. you shudn't buy the crossover or a bass cab as any other playing you do in the higher notes will suffer as the speakers in the bass cabs are not designed to reproduce those frequencies as well as the low ones.
Quote by Johl
So let me get this straight: You play in drop 'A'? As in... 3 steps below standard? Weird.

Although I Hate these bands, Korn and Slipknot both play 7 strings. Find out what they play through. As for the bass cab. idea. No. Just, no. It just doesn't work that way.

Slipknot does not play 7 string guitars. They tune down to Drop B which is a full step above Drop A. Static-X plays in Drop A but has horrible tone. Slipknot uses Rivera Knucklehead K-Tre (Mick has a signature now though) with a miced Randall iso cab and Mesa cabs I believe.
Last edited by maggot2011 at Jun 15, 2008,
im going to quote kyle cutter from mychidlren mybride "vader cabs mother effer"
Last edited by blairbondy at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by maggot2011
Static-X plays in Drop A but has horrible tone.

maybe cuz the guy in the band uses mg stacks
Quote by Johl

Yeah, he liek playz in a diffrnt tunnin'

Anyways, as already said Karl Sanders uses standard Marshall cabs with Vintage 30's (I believe), and if they work for him they shall for you. Also already said, an EQ to boost mids and highs will help.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I know, most guitarist think its a little crazy to tune down that low and they're probably right, but the more I play and listen to grindcore the lower i want to go. Its like an addiction. And what Slipknot and Korn play is of no use to me because they turn down, mic the cab and then have a 50,000 watt PA reproduce the sound. I need something that can hit high volume without the aid of a PA.
Oh, and I have played through Mick's custom cab, and it is pretty badass but it is only available in 2x12. But it does have the Celestion G12k's that i desperately want.
Quote by MorbidVirus
Can't you play in Standard E and still sound t0tally br00talz?

No.

//thread
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I suggest a genz benz g-flex, kind of pricey, but they are big, ported and have speakers made to accentuate the low end.
those should work, i'm trying a 2x12 out on Wednesday and possibly buying it.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by MorbidVirus

Nope.

You can still sound brutal. but not t0tally br00talz.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by chase312
No.

//thread

**** off...

ever heard of a band called Opeth?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
You need a 400 watt capability 4x12 cab to handle that low register. 100 watt speakers work great for what you need. I have a 400 watt H&K cab that keeps the lows in check just fine. Marshall makes a Mode Four cab that is rated at 400 watts. Those are solid cabs.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Brendan.Clace
**** off...

Dude I was kidding, chill out :]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Vintage 30's can handle a lot of lows. A cab with V30's is 240w, and if you're running a 100w head, then you have plenty of left over wattage in the speakers. as long as you don't have the master and bass both set to 10, it should be okay.

Also, I don't know what strings you're using but you'll get a much better tone with at least a 55 gauge on the [lowest] A, or even a 60 gauge. A lighter string would just sound floppy and muddy.

A good cab for pounding, grinding, Br00tAlz would be a Mesa 4x12 Traditional or Oversize. There are other great cabs out there, but just about every single br00tal guy I know/have seen has had a Mesa cab. Not trying to say that you should get one because everyone else has one... I'm saying they're reliable, heavy duty cabs that won't break on you.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Johl
As for the bass cab. idea. No. Just, no. It just doesn't work that way.

actually many guitarrist use bass cabs so give it a try
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
actually many guitarrist use bass cabs so give it a try

Could you list a few?
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by MorbidVirus

Not if you suck.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Brendan.Clace
**** off...

Spoilers:

1. Opeth play in D standard or open D major, not E standard.
2. Opeth aren't t0tallly br00talz.
Thanks for the advice chase, I'll give the Mesa cab another try, or anything with V30's. As for strings I usually don't use anything less than a 60 gauge on my baritone. And litus is right, I have seen a few bands play with bass cabs. "Elysia" for one, doesn't even have a bass player, both guitarist play a full stack and a 8x10 bass rig, but i'm not quite sure how they do it. And "A Black Rose Burial" (one of my favorites) uses nothing but bass cabs. I'm wondering if they're using a special cab or speaker because i've always heard that playing guitar through a bass rig is a big no no.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Spoilers:

1. Opeth play in D standard or open D major, not E standard.
2. Opeth aren't t0tallly br00talz.

Master's Apprentice and Deliverance. Two of their heaviest songs. Both in standard. Both completely brutal.

EDIT: And when did Opeth play in D standard and Open D minor, aside from Ghost Reveries? Going through my tabs most of their stuff is in standard with the occasional exception of things like Demon of the Fall which is in Drop D. Even Heir Apparent from Watershed is in Standard...
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 16, 2008,
winds of plauge plays in E standard.
but they have a hot keyboardist, so that cancells it out.

my band plays in A standard, but the guitar tone is balls.
they BOTH use Fender MetalHead stacks :S
one has a 240watt Mesa cab and it sounds way better than the other which is just the MH cab.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Johl

Wrong....Both guitarists play 6 strings.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The only cab for you is yhe VADER 4x12. No Vintage 30's or G12 75's. Neither of those speakers will project that low of a sound. You want a LOT of headroom with no speaker breakup.

The Only cab for an obscenely low tuning like Drop A is a Vader. No Marshall or Mesa cab.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by newevol
And what Slipknot and Korn play is of no use to me because they turn down, mic the cab and then have a 50,000 watt PA reproduce the sound. I need something that can hit high volume without the aid of a PA.

Why? I guess it makes sense if you're just planning on masturbating to your br00tal tone in your bedroom while pissing of your neighbors, but you'll have a PA in any gig situation. Having that much bass coming off the stage will probably sound like ass anyway.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Ubershall404
The only cab for you is yhe VADER 4x12. No Vintage 30's or G12 75's. Neither of those speakers will project that low of a sound. You want a LOT of headroom with no speaker breakup.

The Only cab for an obscenely low tuning like Drop A is a Vader. No Marshall or Mesa cab.

THank you sir!

I completely agree.. with you so thats what I posted....

Also, again, as said earlier,

Master's Apprentice, Deliverance, Heir Apparent (aside from Ghost Reveries 9/10 Opeth songs is in e-standard)
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Page 1 of 2