What are the conventions for writing sheet music for the guitar when it's not in standard tuning? Do you write the note heard, or the note on that fret as if it were in standard tuning?
I'm sure it would be the note heard. But I would also think that if you were using a standard drop tuning (like C# or D), it would be easier to write it using bass clef.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
I'd belive it to be the note heard
Imagine a Piano player trying to play your song if you did it the other way
John Wheatcroft and Yngwie Malmsteen treat guitar as a transposing instrument as long as the new tuning is transposed standard tuning, and not otherwise altered. I feel this is a sensible way to go about it unless you have an extreme change in range or tuning.
Quote by Freepower
John Wheatcroft and Yngwie Malmsteen treat guitar as a transposing instrument as long as the new tuning is transposed standard tuning, and not otherwise altered. I feel this is a sensible way to go about it unless you have an extreme change in range or tuning.

waht the heck?? any alternate tuning is going to be changed from standard... unless its something like down a half step which is negligible any way and guitar is always a transposing instrument because its written an octave higher than it sounds. write the notes as heard, thats the way its done pretty much everywhere
if you notate it as the way you actually fret the notes you might as well make a tab instead because practically every alternate tuning changes the intervallic structure of the fingerings and so the notes you write would be nonsensical. for example you might want to play a fifth but your notation might show a third or whatever depending on the alteration and it wouldnt give any insight to the music other than the fingerings for the guitar player which is the same as tab
Quote by bangoodcharlote
What are the conventions for writing sheet music for the guitar when it's not in standard tuning? Do you write the note heard, or the note on that fret as if it were in standard tuning?

Write the actual notes (as heard). At the beginning of the piece indicate the tuning.
shred is gaudy music
That ^

In classical music there are pieces in drop D or with the third string as F, it's just indicated at the start of the piece.