im sort of forming a reggae band, but i have one crucial question.: how do you write reggae basslines?

what are some good basslines to take examples from?
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
the whole Catch a fire album by Bob Marley has great reggae bass. for more uptempo stuff try some Toots & the Maytals, but also look into some dub like Sly & Robbie.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
the whole Catch a fire album by Bob Marley has great reggae bass. for more uptempo stuff try some Toots & the Maytals, but also look into some dub like Sly & Robbie.

Robbie is probably one of the best reggae bassist out there be sure to check stuff from Black Uhuru or stuff from them as a duo.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
check out anything by bob marley, his bassist and drummer are the best rhythm section on the planet
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
check out anything by bob marley, his bassist and drummer are the best rhythm section on the planet

i disagree, they are good but not the best. Sly and Robbie are from Black Uhuru.
But both should be checked out for reggae.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Check out some Burning Spear and Steel Pulse.

The bass line is THE most important component of reggae instrumentals, along with the drums. The often follow a simple I IV V format.
Along with the one's that have been mentioned, check out Lee "Scratch" Perry (who was a big influence on the Clash), Steel Pulse and John Holt.
Blackbird by The Beautiful Girls

I also like to think in halftime and i also use the offbeat and change between a main phrase and a variation, a couple of patterns for this would be:

P=Phrase V=Variation

Bar
1 2 3 4

P P P V

P V P V

Reggae is totally different to anything else so you have to totally change how you think of music
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Mescalino
i disagree, they are good but not the best. Sly and Robbie are from Black Uhuru.
But both should be checked out for reggae.

i haven't checked those guys out but i definitely will now thanks for the recommendation
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.