lately my 5150 has been sounding very flat and more staticy. ive been playing around with the knobs anbd trying different settigns to see if i can get a better tone but nothing is happening. so ive come to the conclusion that it might be that the tubes are old. after all i did buy the amp used. wat are some good sites to buy tubes from? ive been lookign at euro tubes which has a standard retube kit for the 5150. but i dnt no i that will help my sound. alos does the 5150 combo need to biased?

Eurotubes:

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=39

im looking at the standard kit. is it any good?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
The standard kit will be fine.

The 5150 combos are fixed bias, so none is required.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
do u think this will really improve my sound quality? wat are some cheaper sites?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
You posted the same thread twice with a different title. I suggest you delete one of them.

And even though Eurotubes has good service, they only sell JJ's...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
so wats a good site to buy tubes for my 5150 from?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by mogar

The 5150 combos are cathode bias, so none is required.

Fixed.
I put JJs in my 5150 and it really livened it up, but I think you could do better if you're willing to spend a little more. The High dGain JJs actually add a bit of headroom and the cleans are nicer at higher volume, but it also makes it harder to dial in a good tone, that's my experiences with them anyway.

Go to Dougstubes.com and send him an email telling him what all you want from the amp and he'll recommend you a good set of tubes.

If it were me, I'd go with either JJ 6L6s in the power section (since they tend to sound nice in it since they're a darker sounding tube) or SED =C= 6L6s. For preamp, I've always liked Tung-Sols the best, but I just ordered a whole new set of tubes for my Mark IV and did a lot of mixing in the preamp, no two tube were the same brand. I think by doing this, you'll be able to switch around the tubes more to find the tone you want. If you buy all the same preamp tubes, you're just stuck with the sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
wat do u think of the standard retube kit for the peavey on the eurotubes site?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
btw matrixclaw. i dont have to bias a 5150 combo right? i can just plug in any tubes and play?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
btw matrixclaw. i dont have to bias a 5150 combo right? i can just plug in any tubes and play?

That's correct.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by esp1234
Quote by mogar

The 5150 combos are cathode bias, so none is required.

Fixed.

nope, not fixed. They are non adjustable fixed bias, not cathode biased.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by kazra90

Correct.

What tubes do you have in it currently? What do you want that you think it's lacking or would like a little more of, etc?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i want a more powerful sound. right now it sounds kind of flat. and staticy. im looking to give it more definition and make it sound a little less "dry". idk what tubes are in it now. i think they are the stock tubes.
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
ive been looking at the jj 6l6 and the tungsol 12ax7. are those any good?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
ive been looking at the jj 6l6 and the tungsol 12ax7. are those any good?

Yeah, those wouldn't be a bad combo.

I've heard some great things about SED =C= 6L6s, everyone who I've talked to who's used them said they're the best on the market currently, but they're quite a bit more than JJs, so if you're on a budget, I think the JJs would be fine. Hopefully I'll have my tubes my Tuesday so I can see for myself how nice sounding the SEDs really are.

I'd still really advise you to fill out the form that Doug has on dougstubes.com and send him an email asking about what tubes he'd recommend for what you want. He's a pretty knowledgable guy and will give you a combo you won't be dissapointed with.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
alright thanks man
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
can i just send an email to doug on dougs tubes telling him the sound i want or is there something i have to fill in?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
can i just send an email to doug on dougs tubes telling him the sound i want or is there something i have to fill in?

just send him an email, he's usually very fast to respond. Like MatrixClaw said, tell him what amp you have, and what kinds of sounds you are looking for.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
There's actually a form on his site you can fill out if I'm not mistaken, but it didn't work for me when I did it for some reason. But if you can find it, it asks a lot of good questions, some that you might not think of without it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com