I have a 1982 Musicman 112RD50. According to the previous owner, the reverb hasn't worked in years, and it never worked for me. Today I got curious and took a look at the tank. I unscrewed the bag and took the tank out, looked inside and saw that everything appears to be wired up just fine. Two springs are hooked up, there is a third spring loose in the tank but I don't see any place to hook it up. Out of curiosity I turned on the amp and hit the springs... yep, the springs make plenty of noise and sound like they should coming out of the amp. But when I try it with my guitar I get no noise from the reverb, like the signal isn't being sent through the tank at all. Yes, the reverb was on when I tried it with the guitar...

Any ideas on what's wrong and how I can fix it?

Edit: Here's a vid to demonstrate my problem. I recorded this while holding the guitar and camera at the same time so all I could do was hit the strings and try to mute them with my arm to show that there is no reverb at all. Also it's hard to see but the reverb knob is set to 10, not 0.

Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Last edited by Schneiderman at Jun 14, 2008,
Pictures for guidance. Note the mysterious third spring, which doesn't seem to have a home...

Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

it looks like it's an extra spring, but I have no idea why they would ever just leave it in the tank like that. Good news for you is that reverb tanks are inexpensive to replace (<$30) so if I were you I'd just buy a new one.
If I just bought a new one wouldn't I be back where I started? The springs make noise, I just don't get reverb through the guitar signal. It's as if the guitar signal and reverb signal are on different channels.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Here's a vid to demonstrate my problem. I recorded this while holding the guitar and camera at the same time so all I could do was hit the strings and try to mute them with my arm to show that there is no reverb at all.

Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Well if you can get sound from physically hitting the springs, but not with your guitar, I'd say the problem probably lies in the connections between your guitar and the reverb tank...
Adam