what gauge strings would u recommend for rhcp?
my strings are really hard and are difficult to bend up to the right note
what gauage would u recomend?
(and no, dont say "just keep practicing and youll get there" coz i already figured that out)
lol thx
get 9s
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
9's

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

what gauge strings do you use now??? i personally experimented quite a lot before i felt comfortable with 9's....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
wut guitar a strat im guessing so use 9s
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by surge666
11s

Bad advice.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

What do you play on now? From there, we can figure it out much better. Keep in mind that if you change more than a gauge, you'll probably need to get your guitar set up for the new gauge.

But honestly, I'd recommend experimenting. Heck, I have two different gauges on my two guitars because they feel right on that particular guitar. But I don't notice an actual difference when I play between them, which if you think about it, is kinda weird.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'd use .10's, simply because they maintain a solid tone but are also easy to bend.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Depends on the scale of your guitar, the tunings you play in most often and how long you've been playing.

You can figure this out yourself...
The shorter the scale, the thicker the strings; short scale guitars demand thicker strings to ensure a solid setup. This effect is most prominent with guitars that were designed for a wound third string, which will have a lot of problems holding tuning and intonation on thin strings.
The lower the tuning, the thicker the strings. You can chock this up to physics, but simply put, thicker strings will hold lower tunings better and will be more tense at lower tunings, meaning they won't be flopping about and making horrendous noises when you strum them. The reverse is also true, as thicker strings will become unplayably tense at higer tunings, meaning if you're going to tune above standard you can (and probably should) choose thinner strings than your guitar and playing ability would normally permit.
The longer you've been playing, the thicker the strings you should use... sort of. It's a simple fact that it takes less muscle to bend a thinner string. Ergo, if you've built up adequate amounts of muscle, you can use a thicker string -- which some would argue sound better -- and still achieve the same effect. However, some find the tone difference between thicker and thinner strings negligible (or nonexistant) and would rather use easier to play on strings.

For example, I play a Fender Jaguar -- short scale, designed for wound third -- play in standard or Eb, occasionally drop D or drop Db, and I've been playing for seven years, so I use jazz lights, which look like this...

6th - 0.52
5th - 0.42
4th - 0.32
3rd - 0.24w
2nd - 0.16
1st - 0.12

They seem thick, but in reality, because of my guitar, they're more comparable to medium-sized strings if you were playing, say, a telecaster.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
yes im using a strat,
i think right now my high E string is a .11
i think i might go for the 9

9's feel like **** and sound like ****. they break, rust, and corrode fast. 10's are good. lower your action if it's too crazy. try that first before you buy strings
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
depends on the guitar. I'd say 9 or 10s if you want to be able to play on all frets in a decently quick manner.
I'd go with heavier strings for the E, A and possibly D strings.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by apak

9's feel like **** and sound like ****. they break, rust, and corrode fast. 10's are good. lower your action if it's too crazy. try that first before you buy strings

the diff. between 9's and 10's really isn't that big...
I use 13's for my Baritone and 10's for my Cort, they both sound good for what I use each guitar for and I wouldnt have it any other way, so it all comes down to trying out different string gauges (if you can change out strings yourself, its cheap and fast to do if you have 2 sets, 1, for i.e., 9's and the other 10's, and to swap them out on the guitar you'll be using them on at your house, that way you can experience both before you make your decision (of course, if you dont like that gauge, you can always swap them out for a different set).

My Cort came with 9's and I have never been able to stand the feel or the relative sound from 9's, I swapped them out for 10's and I am much more comfortable with the slightly thicker sound and feel they provide.

Of course, that is just my personal preference and I am used to very thick strings, I would recommend that you find a way to try out different gauges before you decide which to ultimately keep on your guitar.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
As someone said before, John uses a standard set of 10's but changes the high E string for a 11.
I do the same and like it. But the high 11 on standard isn't for everyone, so if it's too thick for you, get the 10's. But I wouldn't go lower.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by apak

what do string breaking and rusting have anything to do with the gauge???
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
lighter gauges.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
ive got 10s on both my guitars and there great. go for them
Guitars

Dean Razorback Explosion Lefty
ESP LTD EX-400 LH
Vintage?? LH

Amp

Bugera 333xl
Bugera 412H-BK
45-105
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by AiC
what do string breaking and rusting have anything to do with the gauge???

wow you're a retard why do you think elevators don't use guitar stings... cuz the gauge isn't large enough to support that weight even though many times guitar strings are made of higher grade materials.

as for my opinion i play with 10-13s depending on genre and tunning... but since i use my fingers for alot of things many of which require substantial finger strength bending is no problem for me.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by me4rchp
ok thx im gonna go with 9s

I wouldn't recommend you at all to get 9's for RHCP. Most of their songs require pretty heavy playing, and have a bright and snappy tone you can't get with thin strings.
For that reason I say 10's are the lighter strings I'd recommend for RHCP. There's really a BIG difference when I play them on my Strat (with 11-46) and on my friend's (9-42). As simple as I can't play on his
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
10s = best and have nice tone
-PoWnNa-
Quote by Starguard
Well, this is a first.

Just got a splinter playing my guitar...
Quote by BAoxymoron
wow you're a retard why do you think elevators don't use guitar stings... cuz the gauge isn't large enough to support that weight even though many times guitar strings are made of higher grade materials.

as for my opinion i play with 10-13s depending on genre and tunning... but since i use my fingers for alot of things many of which require substantial finger strength bending is no problem for me.

I think he meant that a smaller gauge won't cause rust, which results in broken strings.

And to the guy who said, "9 gauge sucks, they rust break etc.", think logically, your string is 1/1000 of an inch bigger than a nine gauge... Not a significant difference, and definitely won't cause "rust"