There have been threads on this before but with minimal response. I am looking to replace the stock bridge pickup on my Dot. I was wondering if I replaced it with and Pearly Gates or 59' and kept the neck pickup in, how would the outputs vary when switching pickups. I don't want I huge volume difference every time I switch pickups. Thanks
-Cobascis
My Last.Fm

Gear:
1994 MIJ Fender Jaguar
Vox V847-A Wah
ProCo Rat
EHX Small Clone
Epiphone Valve Junior
The outputs won't vary much. A bridge position Pearly Gates is just slightly louder than a stock neck position Epi humbucker.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
The Pearly Gates will have more output than the '59, but mainly what type of tone are you looking for? What type of music do you play?
The Pearly Gates will actually have slightly less output than the stock Epi pickups. The Epi stock pickups are based off the Gibson '57 Classics but with an Alnico V magnet instead of an Alnico II, which actually puts them somewhere between the 57 Classic and the BurstBucker Pro pickups in terms of output. The Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, '59 and Jazz pickups are all slightly lower output than this in the bridge position.

Also, the key questions;

How do you want your new bridge pickup to sound? Do you want the same as the stock pickup, just with more clarity? Do you want it to have more bass response, more treble response, thicker mids? And what amp do you have? If you have a cheaper tube amp or a Solid State amp, then changing pickups most likely won't make any difference at all anyway. On the other hand if you have a much better tube amp then you've got to be more careful about which particular pickup you get, as the differences wil be more obvious.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Pearly Gates will actually have slightly less output than the stock Epi pickups. The Epi stock pickups are based off the Gibson '57 Classics but with an Alnico V magnet instead of an Alnico II, which actually puts them somewhere between the 57 Classic and the BurstBucker Pro pickups in terms of output. The Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, '59 and Jazz pickups are all slightly lower output than this in the bridge position.

Pickup resistance and amped up volume are two different things, and the difference between these two respective pickups is only about .15k. The Pearly Gates has much more midrange then Epiphone's "Alnico Classic" pickups which in my experience leads to a slightly louder amp output.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Try GFS pickups.
guitarfetish.com

the GFS 59 in neck and dream 90 in bridge, I got everything I'll ever need.
Thanks all, I play mostly Alt/Indie, but some blues and rock. The current bridge sounds very tinny, so I suppose I would be looking for bass response, mids, and clarity the most (too specific?). I probably wont go over 90 USD, so the '59 is seeming the most attractive.
My Last.Fm

Gear:
1994 MIJ Fender Jaguar
Vox V847-A Wah
ProCo Rat
EHX Small Clone
Epiphone Valve Junior
Last edited by CoBasCis at Jun 14, 2008,
You can change the heights of the pickups until they match in volume.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I agree with the '59, I have one in the neck of my Explorer which is a very, very different guitar but I'm imagining it in the neck of my Ibanez AS73 and I'm liking what I'm hearing.