so ive been looking at building a P-Bass, buying a body, neck, pickups, pickguard etc. and putting it all together

however, ideally i would like to have the ability to have the tones of a passive p bass and an active p-bass in one bass. Is there some sort of tone circuit that i could put in to make this possible, the ability to switch one pickup between passive and active? Or would it be a feasible option to put a jazz pickup in the bridge, and have that be active while the p was passive?

EDIT: I've decided that what I definetly want to do is put the passive P pickup in the neck, and an active J in the bridge. Can anyone find me a schematic for it? Seymour Duncan doesn't have any like it. If possible, i'd like to somehow make the jazz in the neck able to work as a passive and active, but its fine if this isn't accomplished

Tenative Specs:

Body: Alder
Body Shape: P Bass(would consider a Jazz as well, will have to sketch it all out)
Neck: hopefully looking for all maple, probably a traditional P headstock
Neck pickup: Seymour Duncan quarter pound P Bass
Controls: Probably just one volume, one tone, and some way to switch between the neck and bridge pups
Bridge: probably a Badass II
Finish: Light Blue/Light Teal
Pickguard:
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
Last edited by wshnationals at Jun 14, 2008,
as far as i know, there's not a way to make a pickup active or passive, you could use an active preamp, but i'm not exactly positive about a/p switching.

sorry... but i'd like ot see your paint options! :d:
------

Shwiggity.
that is a good idea... maybe ill consider using an active preamp

but as for paint..... im doing a very light teal or light blue body(think a mix of daphne blue and surf green), with a checkerboard pickguard that i found online
Arbor A410 Bass
Squier Bullet

with some active preamps like bartolini they give you a oush pull pot that means you can switch from active passive
http://bestbassgear.com/bartolini-preamps-ntbt.htm#

but do you want active pickups or what because it doesnt give you a great amount if variety in the tone
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by wshnationals
that is a good idea... maybe ill consider using an active preamp

but as for paint..... im doing a very light teal or light blue body(think a mix of daphne blue and surf green), with a checkerboard pickguard that i found online

that sounds awesome, post pics when you're finished!
Rockin' shit
*changed post at the top a little*
Arbor A410 Bass
Squier Bullet

so far as i know you cant make a passive pickup active or vice averse. Check out the fender website for schematic's
or
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_p_j_bass
seymour ducan
and i think that if you run the whit wire on the p pup and the white wire on the J pup througha 3 way on\on\on switch in a different orde you can switch form neck to bridge to both.
im not sure on any of this
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Nice pickguard... but that's not a bass pickguard. It's for a stratocastre, which is a guitar.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
ummm, thats a strat pickgaurd and youd have to run two circuts, then join them near the output and also conect all controls. i can make a schematic but its confusing and not worth it, the sound you get you could just get with a good amp
HiMyNameIsMatt
Carvin makes preamps with active/passive switching as well. The thing is that the switching is for the whole preamp, not individual pickups (and I don't know if that's possible). And as for the pickguard, you probably just want a standard P bass pickguard--on most basses the pickguard doesn't extend all the way to the bridge pickup (see just about any Fender bass).

Sounds like a nice build overall, and the P and J combo sounds nice.