I'm finally gonna get a job very soon. And I just got a traynor YCV50 blue, which is a very nice amp and it's British voiced. And my music taste has been expanding a lot lately and I'm actually contemplating a modern voiced high gain amp, it doesn't have to have very nice cleans cause the traynor's clean channel is just amazing. The gain channel on the traynor ain't half bad but it's very British voiced, which I use but still there are some moments when I need something a bit more modern voiced.

I got a quote from Carvin the other night on my custom build and it came down to 898$ with HSS configuration, wilkinson tremolo and all that jazz.

I'm willing to play blues, funky stuff, alt rock, post rock, Progressive rock/metal, Thrash, and some other stuff as well. My budget is kinda unspecified at this point but I'd rather have something under $1400 Canadian, used.

Suggestions time.
Why not sell the Traynor and get an amp that can do it all.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Like an overdriven Marshall with a chorus pedal, I just think that in most cases its not to get two amps in such quick succession. Especially if your musical preference often changes.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Like an overdriven Marshall with a chorus pedal, I just think that in most cases its not to get two amps in such quick succession. Especially if your musical preference often changes.

The Traynor sounds very marshally. I've played JCM 900s and 800s before, The clean channel was very sterile and didn't sound the way I like it, jangly. And I played a bunch of TSLs before and I still prefer the Traynor's cleans. The reason I got the Traynor was because I was looking for something in between fender cleans and marshall(other british voiced) OD. Traynor pulls it off nicely.

Keep in mind I'm getting the Carvin before the second amp so I'll have plenty of time to fool about with different EQs and junk.
Try the JCM2000 DSL401 combo, the heads more expensive obviously. It's a 40 watter and can do heavy. Tis a nice amp, I'm gonna get one when I get the mooola. It runs about £480, so I spose about $960.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
For $960, he can do much better than the DSL IMO.

I would look for a used JSX or used Mesa F-50. The F series has great cleans and good crunch and gets heavy. Just a thought.

A lot of people suggested the Mesa before, I tried the f-50 out, and the gains weren't that much brootal-er. They were pretty much in the ball park of the traynor's. JSX you say? hmm gonna keep that in mind.

More suggestions are welcome.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
For $960, he can do much better than the DSL IMO.

I would look for a used JSX or used Mesa F-50. The F series has great cleans and good crunch and gets heavy. Just a thought.

Yeah thats true, the idea of Mesa never occured to me. I can't remember off the top of my head how much they run for, but the Express series get good reviews.
Have you tried a an overdrive or EQ pedal with the Traynor?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1 When I tried one it got pretty metal on it's own and seemed like it could do modern gain with a ts in front.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
just a suggestion never tried it but i've heard some people talk about mesa mark IV's being somewhat capable of many different genre's like what you're searching for?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Try a Blackstar Distx, its £99 here so judging by exchange rates about $200, it says pure valve filth on the front lol, but I run it through the power amp input on my Fender Hot Rod, it's an amazing tone and can get really rather heavy.
5150/6505. br00talz. maybe engl fireball (though you'd need a cab, which might bring it over budget).

assuming you like what you get from the traynor for the less br00talz stuff, i'd say it makes more sense to get an amp aimed solely at the br00talz than sell the traynor, assuming you have room for two amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
5150/6505. br00talz. maybe engl fireball (though you'd need a cab, which might bring it over budget).

assuming you like what you get from the traynor for the less br00talz stuff, i'd say it makes more sense to get an amp aimed solely at the br00talz than sell the traynor, assuming you have room for two amps.

i like the tone from the traynor, and I have room for two amps no worries. I mean I can still see the floor in my room so that means it needs to be filled with gear

I am going to try an OD pedal with the traynor very soon. Looking at the TS-9s and all that. And an EQ is coming very soon.

UGLY EDIT:

Quote by Highwaytohell
You could just swap the tubes (and possibly the speaker) if you wanted a different voicing...

I was thinking about that, but then I realized that I'm not willing to completely let go of the current voicing.
Last edited by sum_ugly_man at Jun 14, 2008,
definitely try some pedals with it. that's cheaper than a new amp. But if they don't do it, i'd consider an amp more aimed at br00talz (and hang on to the traynor for the less br00talz stuff).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
When is everyone going to stop using the word BrOOtalz. It's such a lame teenager word that has been overused for like four years.

Warning! If you use that word your credibility take an immediate nosedive, on all forums.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
we're using it ironically.

warning, if you can't discern irony and sarcasm from posts, your credibility will take an immediate nosedive, on all forums...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
we're using it ironically.

warning, if you can't discern irony and sarcasm from posts, your credibility will take an immediate nosedive, on all forums...
Explain to me how it was used "ironically" in this instance then.

Warning! If you cannot determine the proper context or use of the word irony your credibility takes an immediate nosedive in life as a whole.

**No dictionary or other learnig aids permitted**
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord

Warning! If you cannot determine the proper context or use of the word irony your credibility takes an immediate nosedive in life as a whole.

Not the way Alanis Morrissette used it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can get a used Single Rectifier for $950 if you look hard enough.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Van Noord
When is everyone going to stop using the word BrOOtalz. It's such a lame teenager word that has been overused for like four years.

Warning! If you use that word your credibility take an immediate nosedive, on all forums.

WRONG! I believe YOUR credibility just took a nosedive from not being able to pronounce br00talz. It's not BrOOtalz.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by steven seagull
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Sonicxlover
WRONG! I believe YOUR credibility just took a nosedive from not being able to pronounce br00talz. It's not BrOOtalz.

Haha,
so true :]

To Sonicxlover... Br00talz is a term describing the most gut wrenching metal on earth. Br00talz will never die.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
Haha,
so true :]

To Sonicxlover... Br00talz is a term describing the most gut wrenching metal on earth. Br00talz will never die.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Are you reading what you are typing?? HA HA HA. You are cementing my whole point with that statement. Ha Ha Ha. Br00talz?? So lame.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Are you reading what you are typing?? HA HA HA. You are cementing my whole point with that statement. Ha Ha Ha. Br00talz?? So lame.

If you don't have anything nice to say about TeH Br00talz, don't say anything at all.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Van Noord

*Shovel to face*

THAT's br00talz.

Seriously, lern 2 jokez.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Van Noord

go away.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

(from that link)

7. an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
8. an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

Quote by steven seagull

indeed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
go away.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

(from that link)

7. an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
8. an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

indeed.
Yeah, just what I thought. No one could define or describe the proper use of the word irony without a dictionary. Hell, half the teenagers here can't even spell. Br00talz a joke? Well, it certainly is hilarious.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Yeah, just what I thought. No one could define or describe the proper use of the word irony without a dictionary. Hell, half the teenagers here can't even spell. Br00talz a joke? Well, it certainly is hilarious.

Know what's even more hilarious? From up there on your high horse, you never got the meaning of irony right either.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Know what's even more hilarious? From up there on your high horse, you never got the meaning of irony right either.
Really? There was nothing ironic about anything in this thread.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
^ indeed.
Quote by Van Noord

gtfo. that dictionary definition of br00talz backed up the way i used it. sum_ugly_man is a regular, and us regulars like to talk about things being "br00talz" in a "humorously sardonic" way. For a joke, in other words.

FWIW, i resent being called a teenager who doesn't understand the meaning of words. especially by a johnny-come-lately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ indeed.

gtfo. that dictionary definition of br00talz backed up the way i used it. sum_ugly_man is a regular, and us regulars like to talk about things being "br00talz" in a "humorously sardonic" way. For a joke, in other words.

FWIW, i resent being called a teenager who doesn't understand the meaning of words. especially by a johnny-come-lately.
Johnny come lately? I didn't know you were a founding member of the Br00talz Bandwagon Bunch. Play it, don't just say it.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Jun 17, 2008,
don't say that too loudly, you'll get banned...

also, i just realised i made the worst typo ever. i meant the dictionary definition of "irony".
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?