Hello all,
So I'm in the process of getting another guitar. I'm really looking for something that will give me a good clean distortion, not just a muddy almost muffled sound. Right now I'm playing an Epiphone Firebird with an Ibanez TBX150R Tone Blaster Xtreme Combo Amp. I'm looking at a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom with the tremelo. I've heard good things about the PRS brand, and also Opeth is my favorite band and that's what they play. I'm also looking for something that would be a little easier to do pinch harmonics on, the humbuckers on this firebird can only do so much for me.

Anywho, I've been looking at Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, and PRS. Would any of you suggest any guitars that you've had personal experience playing with? Any feedback would be helpful. I want to drop some money on a good guitar I can be proud of.
Enlightened demons
Are taking me by the hand
Approaching me,
This great eye speaking
Gojira - Ocean Planet
i've played jacksons and esp's. personally, i like jackson better as i bought one. but i'd buy an amp AND guitar if i were you. guitar first haha. as for the pinch harmonics, more than half of it is the amp. i do freakin crazy pinch harmonics on my strat.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i'd step up your amp first, and i've never had any problem with pinch hamonics with my epi les paul. but if you really need a new axe, go out and play a bunch of guitars at guitar center or something and find out what you like best, because what we tell you might not be the best guitar for you. the esp is a good idea though.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
i don't think you could go wrong with any of the guitars you listed, save for the prs, i've never played one of those. play a few out at your guitar store, see which one suits you is what i have to say

(and if you really want my opinion, go ibanez)
giggidy-gigidy-giggidy-giggidy

stage setup:
heavily modded yamaha
modded strat
fernandes- no name

carvin 100 head through marshall cab
Ibanez guitars have RIDICULOUSLY thin necks. I think I got a papercut from them once...

Jackson guitars are pretty awesome nothing bad to say about them.

I've never gotten to play an ESP I hear the LTD series isn't worth the money but ESP itself can be pretty good, but I've never played one so I couldn't tell you for sure.

PRS guitars are GREAT. stock pickups in them are pretty good too. nice deep bassy tone with them and they play just as good as gibsons (if not better)
whatever new guitar you get won't make much of a difference tone-wise with that amp you're using.
new amps first, then guitar.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Thanks for the feedback thus far. What would you guys suggest for an amp. I'm a recently converted bass player (2 years of guitar so far). I'm on a bit of a tight budget too. I've been looking at crate half stacks, I've also reluctantly been looking at marshals, nothing against them, but damn near everyone has one, or has thought of getting one. I'd almost like to check out a line 6, but I'm not a HUGE digital guy.
Enlightened demons
Are taking me by the hand
Approaching me,
This great eye speaking
Gojira - Ocean Planet
What's your budget?

I get the feeling though you don't have enough to be considering half stacks...

EDIT: And just so you know, PRS SE's are nice, but the only thing they have in common with the Custom 22/24s that Opeth use is the shape.
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 15, 2008,
Perfect guitar? Hey if you're looking at PRS, just get a luthier to make you one dude. You can have EXACTLY what you want.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by DieselEater
Thanks for the feedback thus far. What would you guys suggest for an amp. I'm a recently converted bass player (2 years of guitar so far). I'm on a bit of a tight budget too. I've been looking at crate half stacks, I've also reluctantly been looking at marshals, nothing against them, but damn near everyone has one, or has thought of getting one. I'd almost like to check out a line 6, but I'm not a HUGE digital guy.

First off, don't go for a half stack. You don't need one. Period. Second, Crate isn't all that great (some of their tube amps are pretty good, and they have ONE really nice solid state). Avoid Line 6 like the plague unless you're willing to spend a LOT of money on one of their high end amps. The Spider Valves aren't too bad, but there are still much better amps for the money.

All that being said, I'm missing two important pieces of information that most of us will need before we make a decent recommendation. What style do you play, and what's your budget?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by T!AN
^ He's looking at SE's not American made PRS's...

I don't care. Lol, he said perfect. So there is his answer.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
ibanez. the RIDICULOUSLY thin neck is what you need for speed.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain