Hello UGs, I am thinking of getting a new 6'ers as soon as I build my finance. The Yamaha RBX JM2 costs about $1000 in the neighbouring country. I don't mind travelling overseas to get this bass if you guys really claim it superb. I just need to confirm as I don't find any review on the UG review section and I can't trust other sites as most of them - the ones I know of make up fake reviews. Anyway, I wish you guys would recommend any 6'ers around the price of this bass too.
Mainly review on: Sound, Build, Buzz, Neck, Action, Features, Reliability and Personal Likings.

A little extra info: I started with 6 stringers because I idolize John Myung. Only played a 4 stringer borrowed from a friend. I want to get this bass probably the end of the year when my current GSR396 expires.

Edit: Due to some misleading infos. I didn't know the JM is discontinued. It is no longer relevant.

Okay, so I heard many didn't like this bass - wasn't sure if they were saying about JM or JM2 - but I'd like to hear reviews from you.
Other 6'ers like Ibanez SR/BTB, Peavey Grind 6, etc etc. that you would like to recommend is welcomed.
Last edited by rejected1 at Jun 15, 2008,
Well, that's not an RBX-JM2 in those pictures, that's an RBXJM.

I don't know what the JM is like, but I have a JM2. And it's awesome, definately a great bass. Fairly versatile for a humbucker only bass, and gets a lot of growl.

Check to see if it's a JM2 or a JM, which came out first. They've stopped making JMs now.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
The pictures are JM6 - stated by the owner. They have stopped making JMs like in the pictures?
Too bad cause I prefer the look of the JM in the picture instead of JM2. lol.

Well, can you elaborate on the bass like what part of the bass you didn't like? Does she give you problems? and thanks buddy for the fast reply.
it looks nice man no idea bout it though
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
BTW, that "too good to be true" price in that link you posted is in British pounds, making it well, well over $1000.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hmm. Yes, you're right. The price in the link would be higher. But I meant SGDollars 1000. Yes, I'd already confirmed it's about that price - maybe less - in Singapore.

Anyone knows why RBX JM was discontinued? And is RBX JM2 is any better in electronics and such...
Quote by rejected1
Hmm. Yes, you're right. The price in the link would be higher. But I meant SGDollars 1000. Yes, I'd already confirmed it's about that price - maybe less - in Singapore.

Anyone knows why RBX JM was discontinued? And is RBX JM2 is any better in electronics and such...

The RBX JM was discontinued because John Myung used a Stingray to record most of one of the albums after he had the JM. Thus, Yamaha redesigned the JM to fit in with his Stringray "sound".

Thus, the JM2 was born. I doubt it's any better in electronics. It has a 3-band EQ that's very nice. It's a good bass overall. I may get around to recording some stuff with it at some point.

How many more times can I use "thus" in this post. No more .
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I am not quite the expert, but I can tell you something, once when I was in Germany a friend of mine let me try his JM2 and I was brethless (he didn't have much of equipment so that does not count ). My advice is buy it, because if I had the money and choose a 6 stringer, I would buy this bass.
Quote by Nutter_101
The RBX JM was discontinued because John Myung used a Stingray to record most of one of the albums after he had the JM. Thus, Yamaha redesigned the JM to fit in with his Stringray "sound".

Thus, the JM2 was born. I doubt it's any better in electronics. It has a 3-band EQ that's very nice. It's a good bass overall. I may get around to recording some stuff with it at some point.

do you mean bongo rather than stingray?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
I've been thinking about Ibanez SR506 or SR706 too as an alternative. I think it sounded crazy.
Just wanna know is the RBX JM2 counted as high end gear from yamaha?

Originally Posted by Nutter_101

Originally Posted by bass dude nick
do you mean bongo rather than stingray?

Yup he's right. Its a stingray. He uses bongo after RBX JM2.

Originally Posted by MC_Rimes
I am not quite the expert, but I can tell you something, once when I was in Germany a friend of mine let me try his JM2 and I was brethless (he didn't have much of equipment so that does not count). My advice is buy it, because if I had the money and choose a 6 stringer, I would buy this bass.

Thanks for the input. Noted.
Last edited by rejected1 at Jun 15, 2008,
The RBX6JM was discontinued after he used a Stingray 5 to record parts of 6 Degrees, which is why his RBXJM2 has a Musicman pickup. The RBXJM2 was discontinued after Myung started using EBMM Bongo 4s, 5s, Sterling 4s, Stingray 4s and 5s to record Systematic Chaos. His love of the EBMM Bongo sound especially lead to pushing for EBMM to make the Bongo 6, which JM now uses and endorses (But it is NOT a sig bass. He plays THEIR bass, they don't make HIS bass). Once he stopped using Yamaha, they no longer make his sig bass.

You're better off, honestly. The RBXJM2 wasn't that stellar, and a Bongo 6 is surely better.
haha
I'd say you're wrong MetalUpTheAss.

I've played a Bongo 5, and I hated it. The string spacing, the tone from the pickups, the neck, and the look.

Meanwhile, the JM2 is, as far as I am concerned, a good bass for the money, and I enjoy having it greatly. It's definately opened up new aspects to my playing.

TS, I'd try and try one.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Thanks MetalUpTheAss and Nutter_101. So the RBX JM2 also discontinued already? I'd to bury my desires. I wasn't aware it is discontinued.
Don't buy a bass simply because your favorite artist has one.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Mescalino
Don't buy a bass simply because your favorite artist has one.

Why not? If you want his tone etc. + there aren't a lot 6-string basses! Most are fugly or crappy!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Why not? If you want his tone etc. + there aren't a lot 6-string basses! Most are fugly or crappy!

Don't imitate, inovate!

But yes there aren't a whole lot of six strings.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Very true, both of you. I do not have a vast choice. And my price range is kinda low for very high end basses like moduluses and alembic or fodera so I had to base on something else.

Is it discontinued already? They still have the RBX JM2 bass in Yamaha Website. But most of the unofficial sites said they're discontinued.
Website RBX JM2 here
Quote by Mescalino
Don't imitate, inovate!

But yes there aren't a whole lot of six strings.

I dunno - almost every Warwick model comes in 6.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
With all this talk of six stringers coming up, Fender is supposedly making a Steve Bailey signature six strings. I'm interesting to see how they'll do it, as I don't know of any six string basses that DON'T have soapbars/humbuckers.
Quote by IndianRockStar
With all this talk of six stringers coming up, Fender is supposedly making a Steve Bailey signature six strings. I'm interesting to see how they'll do it, as I don't know of any six string basses that DON'T have soapbars/humbuckers.

They are, just throwing the video around. Check the headstock it actually says Fender.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=KLJwGdC-hkE
Quote by thefitz
I dunno - almost every Warwick model comes in 6.

i didn't say impossible, they are just rarer then a 4 or 5 string so the choice is limited.
And he was thinking in the 1000 pricerange and i doubt you have a 6 string warwick for that.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by IndianRockStar

That got axed a while ago.
haha
Quote by Nutter_101
....I've played a Bongo 5, and I hated it. The string spacing, the tone from the pickups, the neck, and the look...

Dude seriously I have done a LOT of research on Bongo, and u are the first one to say that Bongo's tone sucked! I know string spacing, neck profile and the body shape are personal preference and u might be right in saying tht it didnt suit you, but I have never heard anyone say they hated Bongo's tone. At least im a huge fan of it. Great, great tone! Aggressive at times yes, but very vast tonal possibilities without even touching the amp EQ and stuff.

As for JM2, well I didnt really like his pre-SFAM tone. But since that album his tone has progressively improved a lot, and he is a lot more audible in Systemaic Chaos.

On the topic, id say get the JM2, or try Ibanez BTBs. Good basses for the money. Try the SR series if u dont like a bit wider string spacing and 35" scale. SR6 are 34"/16.5mm while BTB6 are 35"/17mm. Suit urself. Both are fantastic basses for the price.
@Bassface_505: Yes, thanks for the input. I prefer 35" scale for basses with low B string. I also already tried a BTB. Wasn't too comfortable. I get tired putting the bass on my lap for a while. But I love the fretboard though.
Right now, I got my eyes on the LTD B-206. That Ash with Spalted Maple top is HOT!
Quote by Bassface_505
Dude seriously I have done a LOT of research on Bongo, and u are the first one to say that Bongo's tone sucked!

I've been talking about how awful the tone of a Bongo/Stingray was for years before either bass existed. I fell in love with a Stealth Bongo and was going to buy it then and there, until I plugged it in and subsequently stuck it back where it came from.
Quote by Cody_Grey102