Page 1 of 2
Ok I bought a Line 6 Valve Spider 112 last week, and Ive decided I need to swap it for something much more practical. Its far too loud, and the really high pitches seem kind of piercing (this is using presets with all knobs to 0 except volume and presence). Im pretty sure I know what I want as far as an amps capabilities, I just cant put a finger on a model. Heres about what Im looking for:

Must be really good for playing classic rock and metal (probably a good onboard distortion)

Roughly about $700 or less in cost

20 watts or less

Hopefully an amp thats all tube!

Last but one of the most important points: Id like an amp with TONS of presets. Im still not only trying to find my own sound, but I also enjoy playing styles of the guitar gods before me. (ie this preset sounds like Slash, this one sounds like Blackmoore, etc.) So lots of presets would be swell.

And hopefully one that has good high notes that arent as shrill.
Peaey Classic, the only decent amp with presets there is the flextone but it is still inferior
"(this is using presets with all knobs to 0 except volume and presence)"

Learn to use your amp, then complain about it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
"(this is using presets with all knobs to 0 except volume and presence)"

Learn to use your amp, then complain about it.

Learn to not be a dick, I like using the presets, and on the presets the highs are really shrill, so therefore its a problem. Glad we could have this little chat.
Quote by Horlicks
Peaey Classic, the only decent amp with presets there is the flextone but it is still inferior

What kind of additional details can you give me? I assume youve tested it yourself? What would you say its weaknesses are?
presets on amps suck compared to what you can get from just any other amp with your basic eq
Gear:
Schecter Omen-6 with EMG 81/85
Peavey Valveking 2x12
Quote by dubes216
good place to look ---> http://www.google.com
I don't think there IS an ALL tube amp with presets (the spider valve is a hybrid).
There may be one, but probably not in your price range.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Wow, you are the fist person I've ever heard that thinks their amp is too loud.
Quote by Arthurian
What kind of additional details can you give me? I assume youve tested it yourself? What would you say its weaknesses are?

It's nice a crucnchy when you want it to be. It can do a decent hard rock, the clean is good but not excellent. It's pretty loud.
Listen to Timi about the preset thing though. If you only use prescence no wonder it's shrill.
Quote by darkarbiter7
I don't think there IS an ALL tube amp with presets (the spider valve is a hybrid).

There's a H&K one isn't there?
Quote by #1 guitar dude
presets on amps suck compared to what you can get from just any other amp with your basic eq

That may be, but a variety of presets helps me experiment with a lot more ease. I used to have enough free time to sit and turn knobs all day when I wanted to play a different song...I cant do that anymore.
just find a multi effects pedal you like. some of the so called "tube like tone" sounds like **** but a lot of pedals are really nice. get like a Line 6 POD XT LIVE or sumthin and run it through a smaller amp
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Quote by Arthurian
Learn to not be a dick, I like using the presets, and on the presets the highs are really shrill, so therefore its a problem. Glad we could have this little chat.

Turn down the highs then.

If it takes me being a dick to penetrate your thick skull to stop you wasting your money, then that's what I'll do.

My Music
Quote by Horlicks

There's a H&K one isn't there?

Maybe. I saw a nice looking H&K in a magazine which had presets, but it could still be a hybrid.
But, even if that was all tube, it'll be out of his price range prolly.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by timi_hendrix

If it takes me being a dick to penetrate your thick skull to stop you wasting your money, then that's what I'll do.

Its okay to be critical, but your first post sounded more like a one line flame than constructive criticism. I still need to get something smaller wattage. I believe this one is about 40 w, which is beyond overkill for a 2 room apartment. I need simplicity, yet accessible diversity in sound. I dont mind turning knobs, but if I have to mess with it every time I want to switch a song, Id barely get a chance to play.
^It's the switchblade--It doesn't have on-loaded presets though, it is just switchable between 128 presets you make. It along with the line 6 spidervalve are both Semi-hybrids. They both use poweramp and preamp tubes, but I believe also have solid state elements to the preamp as well. Also, if he's complaining about the amp being to loud, are tubes the best Idea? They sound much better louder, but TS is looking for quieter....

^The general consensus with the spider valve is that the presets are much worse than the tones you can get out of it by the EQ. I'd talk to some people who have a lot of experience with the amp to ask for some of their settings, which I BELIEVE you can set as new presets if you would like.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Jun 14, 2008,
^Then go for a lower wattage tube amp

BH is rolling out with a really low wattage (<1) head soon.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

The spider valve is all valve, it had a valve Pre and Power amp section but it has digital presets that sound like crap.

Thread starter: Learn how to use your amp and don't jump on people who are giving you advice. Run it dry without the presets, set all your knobs to 12 o clock and adjust to taste.
From what I know, BH isn't really the most versatile of amps, though I could be wrong. The TS wants something versatile, and I don't know of any truly low wattage, versatile amps....Well I mean, the Rivera Knucklehead Reverb 55 is switchable down to something like 8 watts, but that may be a little overkill of a solution.
Quote by timi_hendrix

there you have it Arthurian, you've just been skull raped by timi_hendrix!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by TheShred201
^It's the switchblade--It doesn't have on-loaded presets though, it is just switchable between 128 presets you make. It along with the line 6 spidervalve are both Semi-hybrids. They both use poweramp and preamp tubes, but I believe also have solid state elements to the preamp as well. Also, if he's complaining about the amp being to loud, are tubes the best Idea? They sound much better louder, but TS is looking for quieter....

^The general consensus with the spider valve is that the presets are much worse than the tones you can get out of it by the EQ. I'd talk to some people who have a lot of experience with the amp to ask for some of their settings, which I BELIEVE you can set as new presets if you would like.

I wouldnt mind just the basic EQ if I wasnt worried Id spend all my time knob turning from song to song to get different artist' sound.
Quote by Arthurian
I wouldnt mind just the basic EQ if I wasnt worried Id spend all my time knob turning from song to song to get different artist' sound.

It doesn't need to be like that, unless you're in a covers band, just get relatively close, adjust the gain and play, worry about finding your own sound, rather than everybody else's.
Quote by Arthurian

I think you can save your own presets on the Spider valve, so basically you could tweak the EQ on all the presets (or at least the ones you actually use) for them to sound to your liking, and then save them.

My Music
Quote by SG thrasher
The spider valve is all valve, it had a valve Pre and Power amp section but it has digital presets that sound like crap.

Oh, I see.
I stand corrected.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I think you're both right in a way, someone on here posted something about the spider valve technically having a hybrid preamp and a tube poweramp, so you could perceive it as being either.

My Music
Quote by SG thrasher
It doesn't need to be like that, unless you're in a covers band, just get relatively close, adjust the gain and play, worry about finding your own sound, rather than everybody else's.

Yes but I picked up the guitar in the first place to learn to play my favorite songs lol. Its still a big role, but Im also migrating to finding my own sound. Theres been lots of positive ideas and mainly it seems Il need to leave the Preset baggage behind me. (it will be missed). I guess the only outstanding matter is I still believe to get a downgrade in watts to probably 20 or less. Its just I need to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible because I get overwhelmed in the store with so many amps lol. Last time I went I tried all sorts of amps, but it was still difficult to read what was best. How much of the price tag am I paying for just watts with an amp that I have now? Those watts are not needed, so it seems like a waste of extra money.
Yeah, even if an amp IS all valve (power section and preamp section), if it has digital stuff happening across the whole amp, I feel (IMO, remember) that it is a hybrid.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I still need to know the best 20w or lower alternative then for playing metal/classic rock. Price range $700.
Quote by darkarbiter7

No, it's actually all tube (2 12AX7's, 2 EL34's), just with digital FX and the presets.

(you can play w/o using the digital stuff)
Quote by DiMeTiMe
No, it's actually all tube (2 12AX7's, 2 EL34's), just with digital FX and the presets.

(you can play w/o using the digital stuff)

The argument is that since one of those 12AX7's is used for the phase inverter, there's only one in the actual preamp. Most of the tone (as in the distortion and such) comes from digital modelling, there's just one 12AX7 in there to "spice it up", so to say.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by Fama
The argument is that since one of those 12AX7's is used for the phase inverter, there's only one in the actualy preamp. Most of the tone (as in the distortion and such) comes from digital modelling, there's just one 12AX7 in there to "spice it up", so to say.

wow...really?

Haha, my friend thinks it has tube distortion..I asked him if it was using digital distortion and he said "no".

Give up on a tube amp for your price range, the only one that'd work for you would be the Switchblade and its out of your price range.

What you need to be doing is looking for a Line 6 Vetta II. They are solid state, but sound extremely good.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by TheShred201
Hah...The vetta head is $200 dollars more than the Switchblade.

Used. I figured it'd be assumed.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by TheShred201
Well then why not look into a used switchblade? The logic still doesn't make sense to me.

I don't have any experience with one, plus I think they're pretty hard to find..
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
You're preferably looking for an all tube amp, with (digital) presets?
You can scratch that one out the window..

Besides, you should really learn to EQ an amp. It's frigging hard. But once you know how to EQ it's fun and interesting.
Signatures are overrated.
ts - look into the krank rev jr pro coupled with an overdrive pedal
Quote by Tuckers
ts - look into the krank rev jr pro coupled with an overdrive pedal

Hmmm yeah il look into that, any of these amps that can be found at Guitar Center would be awesome lol, thats where im returning this current one to.
Page 1 of 2