So I've been thinking about family and friends lately. I've come to realize that when it boils down to it, my good friends mean more to me than most of my family. Let's take my sister, for example. We have a pretty good relationship I guess. At the same time though, I don't have much interest in her life or what she does past what I would have for anyone elses'. A few weeks ago I posted a topic asking if people thought it was wrong that I didn't want to be involved in her upcoming wedding. I talked to my dad about that situation, and he asked me if this guy who's a close friend of mine got married and asked me to be in it if I would do it. The conclusion I came to is yeah, i would.

So I guess my thought is this: what is the big deal about family? I couldn't care less about who you came out of or what genes we might share. In the end all that matters to me is the role you take in my life and how you deal with me.

Do you feel as if that's wrong?
Nope

Its your idea of family

Not mine
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by guitardude34875
well, think of it like this, friends come and go, but you'll always have family

what if your an orphan?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by guitardude34875

This. My family are the only people I trust to not **** me over. We're very loyal to one another. I guess your family isn't that tight.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
Quote by guitardude34875

Well that's the thing. Why should I care more about someone who is there for me because of a societal obligation than someone that is there for me because they actually care about me?
Well.....I kinda view things the same way. My friends are a lot closer to me than my family, but when all is said and done, you always have your family.

Unless you're an orphan, then you have nothing.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Nobody chooses their family, so you dont' know if they're right for you Everybody chooses their friends, so you know they're right for you
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by wiggy1988
what if your an orphan?

then your screwed in life....i hope you're not a orphan
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
Nope

Its your idea of family

Not mine

+1
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
hmmmm, sometimes i prefer my friends to family, then i think, its really i prefer my friends than my mum
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by wiggy1988
what if your an orphan?

the people in your orphanage could be considered family, i guess
Everybody has their own opinion of a family. To me, I kind of count my closest friends of family, because we're good mates, and how we'd probably be happy to help eachother out as normal family members would... But if you don't want to be involved with your sister's wedding, that's fine! It's all your decision because it's your idea of family.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
i dunno, i see my mates as family, i spose wot evry1 else calls family, i call relatives. so no it aint a messed up view
Quote by Spamwise
Do you feel as if that's wrong?

No man its completely normal.
Spamwise, I believe the same thing. It's just a matter of fate that depends on what family your born into, and there is no way around it, but you actually choose your friends and if their assholes to you then you get new friends. Ancient proverb: You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I agree only in terms of family members like cousins, aunts and ****, i know what u mean, i dont talk to my cousins at all, and i dont give a damn about their birthdays, but they ARE still family

but it doesnt matter their title or postition relative to you, people are people and so is ur family

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Quote by thedudemeister
hmmmm, sometimes i prefer my friends to family, then i think, its really i prefer my friends than my mum

Well, I care a lot about my parents. Not at all because they gave birth to me, that doesn't take much. It's how the've loved me and done so much for me. I would feel the same about pretty much anyone that did that much for me, regardless if they were my biological parents or not.
Quote by Spamwise
Well, I care a lot about my parents. Not at all because they gave birth to me, that doesn't take much. It's how the've loved me and done so much for me. I would feel the same about pretty much anyone that did that much for me, regardless if they were my biological parents or not.

true, i love my dad, dare i say it, i love him more than my mum, for the past like, several yrs, she has been pissing me off, more frequently, i cant wait till i get away from her
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Tracy Beaker and the dumping ground FTW.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

I love my family, but we have such differing views and interests on so many things that I find my friends know me better and understand me more. So in a way, I'm closer to them. But that doesn't mean I'll start treating my family like shit.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
I love my family, but we have such differing views and interests on so many things that I find my friends know me better and understand me more. So in a way, I'm closer to them. But that doesn't mean I'll start treating my family like shit.

Yeah, that's basically how I feel.
I feel the same, my sister is just someone who is in the same house as me til. . I think the end of summer, score, however my parent's are more than that.
Quote by Spamwise
Yeah, that's basically how I feel.

Well then no, you're not messed up. Although I think you probably should try being more than just civil to your sister. Someday one of you will have kids and they'll want an aunt or uncle.

But really, she had to share with you for a large portion of your life, so you can't just dismiss her as a stranger.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Well then no, you're not messed up. Although I think you probably should try being more than just civil to your sister. Someday one of you will have kids and they'll want an aunt or uncle.

But really, she had to share with you for a large portion of your life, so you can't just dismiss her as a stranger.

Well I never said i'm uncivil. except when we fight, of course..
Quote by Spamwise
Well I never said i'm uncivil. except when we fight, of course..

I said "MORE than just civil". Because naturally you're civil to just anyone, but just being civil connotes a very distant relationship. Which is just wrong for such close family, although I can understand if you choose to believe otherwise.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I realized that my family will always be there for me. You never know when one of your friend will screw you.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I appreciate my family and everything they've done for me, but my friends have more of an impact on my life, I've only ever had 3 circles of friends in my life, the 1st one fell apart when my best friend left town, the second one is slowly mophing into the one I have now, as in, a lot of the friends I had in the second circle are coming to hang out with me and the four others in my current group, it's great. Friends are literally what makes life worth the grief, that and music.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."