So after a load of posts ive decided to get going(ish). im just going to post the specs and my main ideas and you can all give me your expert opinions and views. ill be starting in july after my exams have finished (last one this friday) and when i come back from holidays(ya prague).

Specs
Jazz bass shaped body
Swamp ash body
maple neck(need to ask some questions)
ebony fretless fretbord
chrome hardware
2 bartolini jazz pickups
1 dimarzo musicman pickup
variable swiches and pots

so i think thats most of it anyway i have two books on order should be here tuesday and ill read up on those.
About the neck, should i make one or buy one im going to do some reading on this but am unsureon yhis any ideas.
hope it all happens i got around 400 euro at the moment for it and dont want to go above 500 hopefully is that a resonable price.
thanks evreyone

heres some ideas
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page2008.php?area_id=3&data_id=612&color=CL01&year=2008&cat_id=2&series_id=32
thats the finish i want and im going to do a little logo on the headstock.
shape:
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0190302821

so thats about it thanks.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jun 14, 2008,
are you trying to put me off or something but ya thats basically it but with a humbucker i was thinking.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
What kind of sound are you going for with 3 pickups? I'm intrested to see how you'll configure them
Quote by fatgoogle
are you trying to put me off or something but ya thats basically it but with a humbucker i was thinking.

That didn't make any sense. The model I posted is Ash, has the Jazz body shape (almost), is inexpensive, and can be routed for a Humbucker.

How was I putting you off or something? o_0
well sorry it was just like you put up that bass and i was wanting to make one and it i thought you were saying dont even bother to try to make one.

ryker24 im going jazz in the bridge followed by humbucker and followed by nek jazz pickup. like a stu hamm but with a bit more punch and im putting a 3 way switch on the humbucker series split parrallell. is what i was thinking. and less for a certain sound but more for vary of tones but with quite alot of oomph
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
well sorry it was just like you put up that bass and i was wanting to make one and it i thought you were saying dont even bother to try to make one.

ryker24 im going jazz in the bridge followed by humbucker and followed by nek jazz pickup. like a stu hamm but with a bit more punch and im putting a 3 way switch on the humbucker series split parrallell. is what i was thinking. and less for a certain sound but more for vary of tones but with quite alot of oomph

D'oh! So sorry my mistake. Some peeps call mods and assemblies as builds.

The J-H-J PU config sounds interesting and a different take on the Urge II. There was a mod a while back and I recommended H (bridge) P (mid) and J (neck) similar wiring as the Urge II.

Good Luck!

thanks ill get this thread going once i have wood and evreything
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle

Ah ok, for some reason I was thinking it was going to be like an aerodyne. Since there are never too many bass mods I'll keep track of this one
Quote by Ryker24
Ah ok, for some reason I was thinking it was going to be like an aerodyne. Since there are never too many bass mods I'll keep track of this one

Yea, the MIJ Fender Aerodyne PBasses have sexilicious finishes.

youll have to what a little while but ya im hoping it will be good any suggestions on the neck whati really want to know is if i can make it out of one solid piece of wood cause that wood make evreything much easier.
and ya that aerodyne is a nice bass i like the slightly different curves on the slightly flatter top,
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by fatgoogle
youll have to what a little while but ya im hoping it will be good any suggestions on the neck whati really want to know is if i can make it out of one solid piece of wood cause that wood make evreything much easier.
and ya that aerodyne is a nice bass i like the slightly different curves on the slightly flatter top,

With a 1-piece Maple/Maple neck, you'll need a skunk stripe for the truss rod. With other combinations (different woods) you won't need the skunk stripe since the truss rod will be covered by the fretboard.

Depending on your budget, you can go with exotic woods; otherwise, the traditional Maple/Maple or Maple/Rosewood would work just as well.

can someone post a link were i could buy wood for the neck preferably in the uk cause i can usually get i t from there. or would two of these glued together
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Necks/Electric_Guitar_Neck_Blanks.html
would those do. im getting some books n this so theyll be here hopefully tues day. the neck is the only bit causeing me trouble but i would prefere to make it

Quote by Ippon
With a 1-piece Maple/Maple neck, you'll need a skunk stripe for the truss rod. With other combinations (different woods) you won't need the skunk stripe since the truss rod will be covered by the fretboard.

Depending on your budget, you can go with exotic woods; otherwise, the traditional Maple/Maple or Maple/Rosewood would work just as well.

with the skunk strips is that the black wood on the back of necks and it would be maple with ebony fretboard so those make a difference. can i still put a truss rod in a solid piece for adusment. hope this makes sense
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jun 15, 2008,