my alt picking is somewhat sloppy if i dont phrase because my righty seems to wear out really fast. i want be like yngwie and al di meola so bad, but my right arm sucks. anyone know how to make my alt picking cleaner? i also think i should incorporate legato techniques into my playing as well.
If you're arm is wearing out quickly then you probably just need to work on Stamina rather than your technique; everyone has a limit for how long they can go and the only way to extend that is by brute force: just keep pluggin away at until you can go for as long as you want. It'll take a long time though.

Howvere if you post a video of your technique we can judge if it really is your technique or not.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Your movement from alternate picking should be coming from your wrist more than from your arm. You should also leave your fingers which grasp the pick somewhat loose so that there can be a bit of bounciness on your pick strokes.

Picking fast and clean is really something that just comes with time. Practice stuff that pushes your limits and practice scales with a metronome. Never prioritize speed over precision; don't go faster than you can play cleanly.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Seagull S6
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're arm is wearing out quickly then you probably just need to work on Stamina rather than your technique; everyone has a limit for how long they can go and the only way to extend that is by brute force: just keep pluggin away at until you can go for as long as you want. It'll take a long time though.

Howvere if you post a video of your technique we can judge if it really is your technique or not.

yea, too bad im too poor to afford a camera
Quote by v2a2n2g2
yea, too bad im too poor to afford a camera

Then try finding someone you know who knows what they're talking about so they can look at your technique; until you get someone to actually look at what you're doing you won't know what exactly you may or may not be doing wrong.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

You cant give that advise without seeing his technique so its not really of any use. If he is playing with bad technique causing tension which is very likely than working on stamina is only going to further the problem and possibly cause injury.

I would advise to play slowly with gp or a metronome like the above poster mentioned. Concentrate on being loose and tension free if you stiff up for speed your going to pay in the long run. Play cleanly at slow tension free speeds and you will improve. Don't keep "plugging away" with bad technique and think it will fix itself over time you will only memorize bad habbits.
Quote by TheShred201
Only if you are doing it right. If you practice something incorrectly it will be much harder to learn to do it right.

I read a book about learning to race cars it said "practice doesnt make perfect. perfect practice makes perfect" . This quote certainly applies in this case.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
You cant give that advise without seeing his technique so its not really of any use. If he is playing with bad technique causing tension which is very likely than working on stamina is only going to further the problem and possibly cause injury.

I would advise to play slowly with gp or a metronome like the above poster mentioned. Concentrate on being loose and tension free if you stiff up for speed your going to pay in the long run. Play cleanly at slow tension free speeds and you will improve. Don't keep "plugging away" with bad technique and think it will fix itself over time you will only memorize bad habbits.

Did you read the last line of my post? I said he should post a video of his technique so we could judge properly but he can't so we can't.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TheShred201
Only if you are doing it right. If you practice something incorrectly it will be much harder to learn to do it right.

im self taught and i do some stuff in a real ****ed up way and it may sound harder but in the end its still the same sound and music is about sound so i dont see why you cant do it your own way.........maby im just a bad guitarist
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by v2a2n2g2
my alt picking is somewhat sloppy if i dont phrase because my righty seems to wear out really fast. i want be like yngwie and al di meola so bad, but my right arm sucks. anyone know how to make my alt picking cleaner? i also think i should incorporate legato techniques into my playing as well.

Your arm?! Yngwie uses only wrist and thats why its so clean. Wrist wrist wrist!!! I know that know it feels impossible but try and train that. Arm never moves!
Go to my homesite if you want learn Sweep picking and Economy.

Here:

www.freewebs.com/ushimirs

I hope you like... but text is finnish.
Dude, Paul Gilbert didn't try to play fast until 8 years prior to playing guitar. Practise every single day with exercises you can find for free anywhere on the web and/or make up your own routine. Time is your ally, use it!
Quote by ushimir
Your arm?! Yngwie uses only wrist and thats why its so clean. Wrist wrist wrist!!! I know that know it feels impossible but try and train that. Arm never moves!

Nope, there should be some degree of elbow movement when moving across strings.