So...the Engl Powerball. I heard it was an awesome, brutal low end beast. Non of this sharp craspy nonsense from Marshall and Randall.
But seriously, as much I love marshall, Diezel and Mesa/Boogie (I can't afford the latter two) I want something with a real low end rumble, not a sharp grit. But I need something varsatile as well; I love my cleans!

I have heard that the Powerball delivers such varying degrees of insane rumble from the high gain channel and sparkling spanky' cleans of the clean, and everything in between.
Does anyone own the Engl Powerball and have had any bad incidents or more importantly, any awesome incidents that would inspire me more to part with my cash. There aren't many reviews of it on here, although there are on other sites and I would like as much feedback as I can.

Cheers.
I've heard the Powerball is very versatile and has great gain. I've also heard that about the Laney VH100R, which I've just ordered for myself.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
ive read better reviews for the ENGL Fireball from metal players.
Quote by Gacel

Has it got the four channel business of the Powerball? I'm not really a metal player to be honest, more heavy alternative rock stuff, you know. Deftones shiz'. But I play a lot of Interpol and similar styles.
check the blackmore im buying one soon, still got that marshal raw
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
^ he can because he's in ireland...

powerball has, from what i can remember, nice cleans and gets extremely br00talz. the problem is the in-between stuff. a savage or blackmore would be better if you also play a lot of rock.

a brunetti xlr-evo would be worth a look too, it kicks ass. i know of a dealer in northern ireland (they don't always have them in stock though, you'd need to ring first to make sure), but it's a long trip from sligo. a genz benz el-diablo might also be worth a look (but a lot of people don't like them), again i know of a dealer in NI, but that's an even longer trip from sligo...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Gacel

it depends on the type of metal, i'd say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've played through both and they are both fantastic amps. But for versatility I'd go with the Powerball because it simply has a bigger range of sounds and obviously the four independant channels help to achieve that.

The Fireball is a fantastic amp, but I've heard it can really only do metal and when I played it I played it I didn't find out any different. It does t3h br00talz amazingly well and I imagine you can dial it down and do the hard rock thing... the 2 channels does limit it a bit though.

I'd personally get the Fireball. I think the Powerball is a bit too much and I have no use for 4 channels, but you might. So yeah, just play 'em first and see what you think.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ he can because he's in ireland...

powerball has, from what i can remember, nice cleans and gets extremely br00talz. the problem is the in-between stuff. a savage or blackmore would be better if you also play a lot of rock.

a brunetti xlr-evo would be worth a look too, it kicks ass. i know of a dealer in northern ireland (they don't always have them in stock though, you'd need to ring first to make sure), but it's a long trip from sligo. a genz benz el-diablo might also be worth a look (but a lot of people don't like them), again i know of a dealer in NI, but that's an even longer trip from sligo...

Do you know of any dealers up in Belfast, or any Northern area that retail Engl amps. I've been down to Dublin and seen them, thats where I first heard them but I'd rather pay Sterling, the euro is much stronger at the moment and I could save a few 'squid.
I had this image in my head that Engl were a cheap brand, but there top of the range really. Good old Germans!

Well, to Tom, I really love to play Blues and Jazz as well so I need an amp that has a crunch and a heavy rock tone, not tooooo much gain though. I don't want to sound like Death Metal or Doom in any way. I love their tones but its just not me. I often write and practise with a clean tone, just a personal preference, so its very important that I have two excellent channels and one or two more that don't have to be spectacular, but just do their job of providing the mid range crunch.

I play pretty much everything but my band plays "Stoner, emo Alternative rock with a really New York psychodelic vibe" - Friends qoute. I don't like it either but I trust him! So I need an amp that can cope with that kind of vibe. A middle of the road versatile amp, thats it really; Nothing overly metal, nothing overly retro with classic rock tones and nothing with only two channels. (well unless they have the options for serious tweaking and alterations in themselves)

Anymore more opinions or recomendations?
From what you've described maybe an Orange AD 30 (either head and a cab or just plain combo) could suit you well. I must admit I don't have any experience with one but its nicely in your budget and would suit the hard rock aspect very well.
Has is got the versatilty I am after? I know 30 watts from an Orange amp is very powerful, but I need more than that. I don't have any micing potential so I need all the power I can get. I am the only guitarist in my band so I need the headroom as well.
Thanks for the suggestion mate.
^ depends how heavy you need to get. another option might be an engl screamer, or a koch, those kochs are hard to get to try.

Quote by AngryGoldfish
Do you know of any dealers up in Belfast, or any Northern area that retail Engl amps. I've been down to Dublin and seen them, thats where I first heard them but I'd rather pay Sterling, the euro is much stronger at the moment and I could save a few 'squid.
I had this image in my head that Engl were a cheap brand, but there top of the range really. Good old Germans!

belfast guitar emporium in bradbury place near queens university. though ring them first, and i've only seen them having the lower models in stock the past several times I've been there. to be honest, that dublin dealer (instrumental, isn't it?) is probably better for trying them, then perhaps order from thomann or something like that.

if you're willing to come as far as belfast though, that brunetti and genz benz dealer i mentioned are closer, and probably worth a look- the brunetti dealer is mac's music in portadown, and genz benz is 2 mac music in banbridge. as i said, though, ring them first before making a long trip.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?