yeah i know it probably depends on the amp/tubes but i was wondering with a tube amp, if say the natural clipping overdrive of the tubes is say 10/10 on how nice it sounds...than what is it with say a overdrive pedal
does it even compare?
does it come close?
and this just goes generally for a overdrive pedal, i know some are better than others
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
it was my impression that the main purpose of an OD pedal is to help push your amp closer to it's natural overdrive. i personally love the sound of a tube amp with a TS808 in front of it. especially for blues. mmm, orgasmic sound.
It's not really in the same league. On one hand you have power tube distortion and on the other hand you have preamp distortion. I like to have both in moderation together. That's why with my mesa I use an attenuator, but I don't crank it all the way since I don't like my sound to be purely power tube distortion. Both together is how you get a good tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
hmm by the way i'm comparing a amp at low volumes with a od pedal, and then just amp cranked?
so its power tube vs. preamp? ahh
the od pedal doesn't push the power tubes?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
It does, but it's pushing the preamps more since they are first in line. When they get saturated they in turn push the poweramp, hence why OD pedals tend to sound good. The case you're talking about with the amp at low volumes you will only be pushing the preamp, the only way to push the power amp at low volumes is with an attenuator.
ah
so a mix of preamp and power amp=the best od you can get?
hmm i see thanks so much
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
In my opinion. I prefer to have a little breakup on the power amp side and the preamp to maybe have a bit more. For cleans I want no preamp distortion at all and maybe just enough on the power amp side for me to get OD when I pick hard or use an OD or wah wah in front.
so is there certain characteristics of each?
it sounds like pre amp break up is like just normal break up and the power tubes saturating is more like the actual clipping?
do they sound similar?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I dunno, I have played high end overdrives, and I prefer natural tube OD.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator