Poll: Which guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar?
Epiphone SG
48 73%
Squier Telecaster
18 27%
Voters: 66.
Im in a bit of a fix. Im gonna get a guitar , and ive reduced it down to 2 guitars.
Either a squier telecaster with 2 duncan p90 pickups or An epiphone SG G-400 with 2 humbuckers.
I dont know that much about guitars so if you guys could tell me the differences ,advantages and disadvantages etc. Thatd real help.
i'd tap that .........speaking to a bass, its a music joke!

Harley Benton-hbb200bk
Epiphone Thunderbird
Electro Harmonix Double muff
Harley Benton 80-b amp
Ernie Ball Strings are my preferance!
the SG would be more aggressive sounding, better for solos, struggling a little bit for cleans, where the tele would likely excell
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I own a Epiphone SG-400 and its a pretty good guitar for what you pay. Never played a Squier telecaster but i've played a fender one and thats a pretty good guitar. Though it all depends on what kind of music you like to play.
The Epiphone SG is a stellar guitar.. Nice and thick sounding. The two guitars are both for different styles of music.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
the SG would have better distortion and sound a little warmer, but might not have really good cleans. The tele would have better cleans, but would not distort as well and would sound a little brighter and twang - y.

depends entirely on what type of music you want to play
SGs being clean is kinda sacreligious isnt it?
hmmnn
How do teles fair with distortion?
It probly be a bit better if i wanted the best of both worlds now and again.

Harley Benton-hbb200bk
Epiphone Thunderbird
Harley Benton 80-b amp
Last edited by Thunderbird11 at Jun 14, 2008,
I would rather have an Epi G-400, then a squier.

All in all I say;

1) Agile 3100

2) Save the money from the Epi G-400, sell the thunderbird, and get a great guitar used on eBay.

edit; but oh, is the thunderbird a bass?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
CLEAN = TELE
DIST = G 400

i own a G 400
but the sg is very unbalanced if you play it standing
due to it's strap bolt position at fret 22
so the neck keeps falling to the floor
otherwise it's good
No patience.
And I like my thunderbird.

Harley Benton-hbb200bk
Epiphone Thunderbird
Harley Benton 80-b amp
Im edging towards the sg.

and wierd question is there a difference between covered and non covered humbuckers.
And can you take them off?
*shields face*

Harley Benton-hbb200bk
Epiphone Thunderbird
Harley Benton 80-b amp
Quote by Thunderbird11

I dont know that much about guitars so if you guys could tell me the differences ,advantages and disadvantages etc. Thatd real help.

you should play them unless its you first guitar then it dont matter cause you would not know the diference

in my case i started with a epi SG it was awsome until my teacher let me play his tele and i saw a new light bright sound that match my bright music taste, fast action on neck, and it was heavy which for me made it feel more real so 6 months later i save my money and i got me one hook it up and im happy with my choice end up selling the sg for 50$ :P

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
to everyone saying the tele will be better for cleans let me remind you that this is a P90 tele, not a normal tele!!!

P90's are nasal have quite a bit of output, and lots of bite. When wound to vintage specs it's hard to get clean tone from a fender amp. You can do it, but the gain has to be pretty low. When using a solid state amp the clean tone is generally pretty unpleasant on it's own but can be useful in a mix. You hear lots of P90's in 50's and 60's pop music. It's typically that really nasal fill that you hear whenever the group stops singing. Blues style overdrive is where these pickups really come alive. The heavy upper midrange gives you thick lead tone without getting muddy. The downfall of P90's is all the noise they make. When you turn up the volume on your amp it'll sound like a bee in a tin can and you will always get a loud pop when you touch the strings. Even with shielding it'll happen

The SG will have more of a scooped midrange with smoother bass and trebble and an overall darker sound that will sound better clean, it'll handle blues overdrive like a dream, and hard rock and metal are not a problem either. As a bonuse you don't get the bee in a tin can sound from humbuckers.

I'm not saying the SG is a better guitar or that I like humbuckers better than P90's. I'm just saying that P90's typically are not the best thing for a 1st guitar. Unless you really want to focuse on blues and 50's pop I'd go with the SG.
Not taking any online orders.
Now thats an answer!
Cheers
I played them yesterday and i found the sg had a nicer feel , i love the fret access.
And i thought it sounded nicer on single note stuff.
The p90s are very nasally (perfect word for it).
SG it is.
And what can anyone tell me about kluson tuners?
Would it be worth gettin some grovers instead?

Harley Benton-hbb200bk
Epiphone Thunderbird
Harley Benton 80-b amp
^thats not an option for people on this half of the world.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I'm not saying the SG is a better guitar or that I like humbuckers better than P90's. I'm just saying that P90's typically are not the best thing for a 1st guitar. Unless you really want to focuse on blues and 50's pop I'd go with the SG.

agreed. p90s are great, but i wouldn't want them on my only guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IMO and experience, ive found that epiphones are better quality in build and sound than sqiuers :/
^you said that already and I've already pointed out that we can't get them in the Europe
squire tele's are friggin ace man.
i love mine (and im not a noob! i've been playing for well over 5 years)
A friend of mine has 1 crappy HSS ibanez, 1 Epiphone SG deluxe (cream white with 3 humbuckers) and 1 Heritage Les Paul (expensive supposed to be equal to a gibson in quality).
Only the HSS ibanez sounds good when playing CLEAN, the rest of them sound like crap.
That's also why I like my Squier Strat, I can play clean with it and it still sounds reasonable when distorted..
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay
It's our little online utopia where we smoke with folks from the far corners of the world and say things like "I'm high, heheehehe."

Quote by Ed Hunter

Thoughts about new naked airport scanner?

^
Quote by nightraven
brb applying for job at airport

I'm a huge fender fan but when it comes down to the squier telecaster or epiphone SG i would put my money on the SG
Get the g-400

And if you want to have good cleans later on you can always coil tap tha bitch and problem solved
I guess it depends on what u want to play. I'd get the tele, it'd handle the cleans well like everyone already said, plus I think it would distort pretty well. Obviously, not as well as the SG, but it'd sound pretty good unless u went crazy with the amount of distortion. I own a tele and think it can handle mid to medium-high gain sounds just fine.
Go with the SG. Epiphone quality is way better then Squier. And if you mess with your EQ, you can most likely get some decent clean sound out of it.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.