i want to learn the ways of metal , but i don't know what's scales i should learn , song to learn from and techiques i should learn? sry for bad grammar i typed too fast
Last edited by metalangelx at Jun 14, 2008,
If you want help you'll have to use better grammar. Please.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I would - sorry.. - I COULD help you... If I understood what you were saying.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
the first thing you should learn is sweep picking. make sure to start out playing really fast or noone will think you're cool
Last edited by guerito at Jun 14, 2008,
also... wrong forum... thats double fail
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by guerito
sorry - 'IS sweep picking'

There's an edit button for a reason.

/sarcasm
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you
First of all: You have the speech for metal. Swissgar would be proud.
Second: Learn the minor pentatonic. Learn all of it.
Third: Learn Pinch Harmonics.
Fourth: Get a badass guitar. I recommend ESP or BC Rich.
Five: Buy a full stack
Sixx: Write a simple riff with power chords.

Those are the 6...6...6 steps of metal.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Just thought I'd point out.... not everyone is a native english speaker. Just saying.

Metal? Well the best thing you can do is to listen to lots of it, thats the best way to learn the style and get that heavy aggressive feeling. Scales...definitely learn the natural minor scale, then harmonic and melodic minor. Learn all your modes(especially phrygian and locrian), and practice your playing skills. Speed is also important in metal, not always of course, but a lot of the time.

But the best way is still to listen to songs, then pick a few and learn them. As you learn songs you'll learn composition and technical skills.

Anyways, have fun.

P.S. Do NOT start out fast. Start slow, as slow as you need to play to play cleanly. Slowly add speed. And no again, do NOT start with sweep picking, to get it to any decent speed is quite difficult and is not something for metal noobs.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos
I never brag about how incredibly awesome I am.

scales-all of them

techniques-sweep picking, alternate picking.

EMG Pickups or Seymour Duncan Blackouts are best.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
^ Isn't the phrygian mode mostly used for spanish style music?

Edit: To Sykonatiac
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Sykonatiac
Scales...definitely learn the natural minor scale, then harmonic and melodic minor. Learn all your modes(especially phrygian and locrian), and practice your playing skills.

definitely do this. also, i would suggest learning some diminished scales and arpeggios, they sound pretty metal.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
^ Isn't the phrygian mode mostly used for spanish style music?

Edit: To Sykonatiac

Yes, its used a lot in spanish music. But I find it really good for lead work, you can come up with some intense melodies, plus if you combine it with another mode like say Aeolian(soloing in Phrygian, then switching to Aeolian, etc...) it keeps the lead from being flat. At least thats how I've found it anyways.

Quote by guerito
definitely do this. also, i would suggest learning some diminished scales and arpeggios, they sound pretty metal.

Yeah I should have said that too, diminished really gives a dark suspense type feeling. Definitely metal.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos

Also it kinda depends on the type o' metal you wana learn.

Quote by Sykonatiac
Yes, its used a lot in spanish music. But I find it really good for lead work, you can come up with some intense melodies, plus if you combine it with another mode like say Aeolian(soloing in Phrygian, then switching to Aeolian, etc...) it keeps the lead from being flat. At least thats how I've found it anyways.

Awesome. Ima try that now. XD
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Jaysifer

/sarcasm

actually, there is nothing wrong with the grammar in this picture, though the spelling is terrible...
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

It could just be because I really like a lot of spanish/spanish-type music. But anyways, got for it man. Us m3t4l-h34ds(l33t, kill3r,n00b sl4y3rs) need more lead guitarists who do more than the same old minor...minor pentatonic scales.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos

Quote by Sykonatiac
Well the best thing you can do is to listen to lots of it

yep.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Also it kinda depends on the type o' metal you wana learn.

i want to learn is mostly neoclassical metal or heavy metal
Neo-classical huh? Well in that case you REALLY need to learn the harmonic minor scale, I mean learn it until you hear it in your dreams. Start with the key of A, it is a very cliched key because pretty much every neo-classical player in the world plays in A, which makes it good to start with. Because you'll get a recognizable sound quicker. Then I would suggest moving onto the key of D. Also the Phrygian(as mentioned earlier), because a lot of classical music is either spanish or borrows heavily from spanish music.

You'll need to learn arpeggios. LOTS of arpeggios. You'll have to learn to sweep(like mentioned earlier on by another poster), but don't start fast. Keep it slow until you know what you're doing. Legato. Lots of legato. Tapping. Alternate picking.

And you will really need to listen to a lot of classical music, if you want that authentic classical sound.

Heavy metal? Like '70s and '80s Heavy metal? Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, Dio, Judas priest...that sort of thing? If so, then same as before, find some songs that you like and learn them. I like all of the groups above(and a whole lot more) and I learned to play that style by learning a bunch of their songs.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos

scales: phrygian / phrygian dominant, pentatonic, harmonic + natural minor, locrian

techniques: palm muting, galloping, power chords, pinch harmonics, sweeping, tapping, alt picking
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.